Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Start up Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:40 PM
siberian57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start up Issue

Ok pretty much I went out for a tune on my 07 and the car was running fine. After the flash and such the car started having an issue, it would crank for a good solid 4 seconds and then startup and has been doing it ever since. It's not random it always does it, it never doesn't start but it always takes a good solid couple seconds and throws those lights. So we flashed back the stock tune and it still had the same issue. My CEL is on for my cam position sensor as is my TCS and Slip, however I brought it to a shop and they swapped 3 different sensors in that they know work and still the same problem.

So at the shop it was hooked up to some sort of computer and we noticed that the readings on one of the cam phaser banks wouldn't fluctuate as I revved the car where as the other would so they weren't sure if the cam was locked or something (Idk what that means). The car drives normal except if I try to get on it even slightly I can tell it hesitates so I don't do that.

A suggestion was it could be the ECU because they can't imagine a tune would cause those issues (and to test it out with another ecu) and someone else said that they found another 07 had a similar issue after a turbo kit install and that it was in the wiring harness. He explained a tech at infiniti said their 07-08 cars had a weird wiring harness configuration where the crank sensor and the 4 cam sensors actually split from the harness into a plug and then reentered the harness again (weird) and he said they replaced them often under warranty so that he wonders if nissan did that too.

I don't know if that's what it is, does anyone have an idea?
Old 04-05-2010, 04:57 PM
siberian57

300 views and no ideas? anyone?
Old 04-12-2010, 05:57 AM
siberian57

so I just talked to the guy in Houston and he's not a nissan person but he gave me some more insight on possibilities. pretty much told me he hooked it up to his software (uprev i think) to look at the ecu and the cam phaser on bank a or 1 or whatever was stuck at 65 degrees. I've never heard of a cam phaser failing and neither have they but they said it's possible that the new tune may have tricked the car into overthrowing the cam or something I forget and having it stuck that high.

He also said it's unlikely to be the ECU because he said most of the time the ecu just won't work properly if at all in more ways than one. I asked if it was possible that the tune was corrupt and he said possibly but probably not because when he reflashed the stock ROM it should have cleared everything out and the car should have run fine but it threw the CEL right away so it didn't have to learn or anything so he's thinking it's mechanical.

I know the cam position sensor was checked because thats the code it threw, maybe I should check the crank sensor. I'm thinking of locating an 07 ecu and swapping them just to check that, if that doesn't work I'm going to check to see if that 07 wiring harness thing is true and fix that or check the phaser (which is weird bc even after a search I didn't find one thing mention about a cam phaser failing)

Anyone have any thoughts?