Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

tire feathering back

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 02:01 PM
toykilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire feathering back

yep thats right 2500 miles on my new alignment and tires and i am seeing the early stages of feathering.. i still dont hear the roaring but i have no doubt it will surface soon enough... we really need to keep pushing this issue
Old 11-01-2003, 02:11 PM
Stone Z

That sucks, bro. I'm pushing 7,000 miles and I don't have a single sign of feathering at all. My car was built in January 2003.

Hope they do you right this time.
Old 11-01-2003, 03:56 PM
s9am_me

hmmm... any of you guys see this on the news?? hehe.. but that sux.. so far i got 5700 miles and no feathering yet.
Attached Thumbnails tire feathering back-minister.jpg  
Old 11-01-2003, 08:31 PM
2003z33

Originally posted by s9am_me
hmmm... any of you guys see this on the news?? hehe.. but that sux.. so far i got 5700 miles and no feathering yet.
LOL..I have had rotations and alignments. Still feathering.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:31 AM
SnoopyZ

Default Re: tire feathering back

Originally posted by toykilla
yep thats right 2500 miles on my new alignment and tires and i am seeing the early stages of feathering.. i still dont hear the roaring but i have no doubt it will surface soon enough... we really need to keep pushing this issue
What do you consider the "early" signs of feathering?

I am so confused on this issue... Could tire feathering make your car feel as though the brakes are bad? Cuz it feels different when slowing down?
Old 11-02-2003, 04:51 AM
Z PHAT Z

After the my first alignment and about 3000 miles, the roaring just came back and getting worse.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:24 AM
toykilla

i pulled my tires off to put on my eibachs yesterday and inspected the tires.

to the naked eye you cannot really see the early signs.. but it you feel the inside treads they seem to step up and down. it seems some of the inner tread blocks wear faster than others..

later signs of the feathering you will begin hearing a roaring noise from the tires when slowing down around 20-30mph.

we need to continue to push this issue.. i have met 2 guys with z's that do not post on this forum and they were not aware of the featheing issue ... when i told the what it was they both said they had loud roadnoise develop at about 25mph ...

i guarantee there is more people experiencing this problem than realize it
Old 11-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Grommit

Hey, count me in. I'll help out as much as I can. I'd like to see this issue resolved asap and hopefully my Z won't have this issue when it arrives.

Btw, who is that girl in your avatar???

Laters...
Old 11-02-2003, 04:10 PM
SnoopyZ

Originally posted by toykilla
i pulled my tires off to put on my eibachs yesterday and inspected the tires.

to the naked eye you cannot really see the early signs.. but it you feel the inside treads they seem to step up and down. it seems some of the inner tread blocks wear faster than others..

later signs of the feathering you will begin hearing a roaring noise from the tires when slowing down around 20-30mph.

we need to continue to push this issue.. i have met 2 guys with z's that do not post on this forum and they were not aware of the featheing issue ... when i told the what it was they both said they had loud roadnoise develop at about 25mph ...

i guarantee there is more people experiencing this problem than realize it
Yea the inside of my tires "look" okay... but I some how feel I am gonna have or DO have this problem. I have been hearing more noise lately when slowing down the car. I thought it was just the brakes but it does seem a bit premature for the brakes to start fading now.

One of my friends told me that you can tell tire feathering from the outside of the tire as well... like when you feel the tire tread one direction it is smooth... but if you feel it the opposite direction it is bumpy...

What do you think?
Old 11-02-2003, 04:54 PM
toykilla

that noise you are hearing is what we are talking about
Old 11-02-2003, 05:57 PM
SungNamZ

It took from 11,500 miles to 20,500 miles to finally get OEM front tires replaced. It was done on 10/31/2003. Their "trick" is now my "treat"! I hope! Reliable Nissan in Albuquerque, NM is GREAT! The also performed the allignment in accordance with the TSB. Camber was right on, but Toe was way out of spec. The "Nissan Master Tech" said, "You have been plowing asphalt". Also noticed while doing the allignment that steering wheel was not straight.

While also in the shop, Amp replaced and Window Grease fix performed. WOW, the "Z" as I knew it back in January 02!
Old 11-03-2003, 05:48 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Damn, Josh. That really sucks. I'm so paranoid about mine coming back, I have to make Kyle check my tires for me. So far so good, but I've only got 1800 miles on since the alignment and swap.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:52 AM
zmeister03

Default dealer sucks

All my dealer did was swap the fronts and check toe in.

Now the car is loud until I slow down then it gets bearable.

I think I'll have to get in touch with NNA myself.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:15 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Originally posted by Grommit
Hey, count me in. I'll help out as much as I can. I'd like to see this issue resolved asap and hopefully my Z won't have this issue when it arrives.

Btw, who is that girl in your avatar???

Laters...

Toykilla....

Yes.... who is that woman in your avatar ?

I can claim ignorance since I live overseas... and don't watch that many movies or much TV...
Old 11-04-2003, 04:59 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by fairladyZ in Japan
Toykilla....

Yes.... who is that woman in your avatar ?

I can claim ignorance since I live overseas... and don't watch that many movies or much TV...
That's Toykilla with a wig! I didn't realize it at first but after I really looked it became obvious. Wow, dude!
Old 11-04-2003, 05:04 AM
toykilla

hehe. the question which is asked most on this forum! .. that is christina aguilera for those disbelievers!
Old 11-04-2003, 09:05 AM
jelledge

Default Feathering Back for me too

I had my RE040's replaced at 6500miles with S03's compliments of Nissan. Had the same issues with alignment being way out for toe but everything else was "in spec".

Now after another 6500 miles the S03's are wearing heel / toe with raised tread blocks.

So I go to the dealer to see what can be done and they try to tell me that the tires have to be rotated as per my owners manual. I said B.S. the owners manual does not say to rotate tires. So guess what we dig out the manual out and it says rotate tires (except for 350Z). Duh I knew that already.

Dealer tried to play stupid like this was the first they have seen this. NOT. So know my dealer is like well you still have to swap tires (not rims) side to side to get good wear at a cost of $150 per 6500miles. Of course I said Bull Crap.

So now I am fighting with Nissan and my dealer as to what they will do for me. Nissan tries to say that I am 15000 miles and there is nothing they can do...yeah right. And dealer says I have to rotate tires side to side at my cost.

Man I tell ya -- I love this car but the bull crap is piling high and I am getting sick of it.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:26 AM
Pit Bull

I think from what we are seeing you will get alignments and new tires from Nissan up to 12000 miles. Then you are on your own. I think that we all will have to buy the Michelin tires that are higher wear rated to get the 15,000 miles out of the tires. Will have to figure 2 new front tires a year and maybe a couple of rears every 1 1/2 years. I've seen this behavior from other car manufactures. That will redesign, but it costs to much to fix our problem. Guess we will have to turn the stereo up
Old 11-04-2003, 09:26 AM
toykilla

yeah we need some bulldozers to plow throught the BS (no pun intended!)

Mr. Potatoe.. im glad someone finally caught on to me Im pretty cute arent I ?
Old 11-04-2003, 10:25 AM
s9am_me

Originally posted by Pit Bull
Guess we will have to turn the stereo up
is the tire roar that loud? I mean can u hear it with the windows up and the radio on? been tryin to listen for this when i come to a stop. so far, nothing really obnoxiously loud

Quick Reply: tire feathering back