Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clutch Feels Soft - Fluid replaced. 06 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010 | 07:21 AM
corsairprime

Default Clutch Feels Soft - Fluid replaced. 06 6MT

I have an '06 350Z 6MT. 61000 Miles on it. Mostly highway.

I recently had my clutch fluid flushed and replaced as part of the 50000 mile service. It was a dealer suggestion. I know, maybe I shouldn't have. Seemed harmless to me though. Then I drove the car home. Texas gets hot in the summer and the clutch feel until this service was consistent and firm. The soft feel happens when the ambient temp gets into the mid to high 90s and the car has been operating for 30-45 minutes (normal commute home). The clutch starts to feel like it is halfway depressed before I put my foot on the pedal. Weird huh. Well I took it back to them and they flushed and filled the clutch system. The problems persist. In the morning first start and drive away, all feels normal. Afternoon first start ok, 15 minutes later soft pedal.

Have any of you experienced this? What did you do about it? I am inclined to make the service folks at the local Nissan dealership redo/rebuild the whole clutch Master/Slave cylinder system.

Opinions? Suggestions welcome.
Old 06-07-2010 | 09:14 AM
diablox1

possibly crappy fluid in there. sounds like the temperature of it affects its performance.
Old 06-07-2010 | 09:27 AM
corsairprime

I scheduled the car for service tomorrow afternoon. We'll see where this one goes. I'll update the thread when I know more.
Old 06-07-2010 | 10:15 AM
plumpzz

I had this problem after tracking the car. I did a bleed at home, and moved to endless 600 fluid. Havn't had a problem yet. I will likely upgrade to a 6 puck clutch to improve heat handling to further improve the clutch feel.
Old 06-07-2010 | 10:36 AM
FATPUBUS

Ive had the same problem a couple times too...put in a stainless steel line and better fluid, and that should solve the problem.
Old 06-08-2010 | 04:29 AM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z
Premier Member

Mine is doing the same thing. I've got a Spec super clutch in there, but it looks like it's the fluid that is the issue. I'm running Motul RBF, but might try the Endless 600 like plumpzz said. Or possibly a new batch of the RBF.
Old 06-08-2010 | 10:37 AM
cheshirecat79

Put in a stainless steel line, they aren't expensive. Make sure they bleed all the air out of the system. Replace with a better performing fluid. You can always get a decent import shop to do this rather than paying higher dealer fees.
Old 06-14-2010 | 05:52 AM
corsairprime

Ordered a Stainless line from IPP in Houston. It should be in early this week and I'll have a local shop do the install. Only paid $37.50 shipped for the stainless line. You were right about the cost.
Old 06-16-2010 | 02:26 PM
corsairprime

Default Took the car to Nissan.

Hi all. I took the car in to Nissan of McKinney today. I gave them the Motul RBF600, the stainless clutch line I got from IPP in Houston and now I wait. The service writer even got the service Manager 'Mike' out to talk about my problem. He seemed genuinely interested in my predicament. I am hopeful at this point. Even got comped a loaner till the repair is complete. I'll keep you all updated. If this works I'll give the exact list of parts used to make the repairs. If you want other details just let me know.

Thanks all for the good suggestions.
Old 06-17-2010 | 02:39 PM
corsairprime

Default Update from Nissan Service

Got a call from the Nissan of McKinney Service Writer, The latest report is that both the clutch master and slave cylinder require replacement. Normally this would cost $581.00 but the extended warranty steps in and I pay $50. Parts need to be ordered, the stainless clutch line still needs to be installed, and the system bled. Maybe the car will be ready on Monday. Verdict to be rendered then. The comped loaner cube is mine to use till then. I'll update when I get the car back. Stay Tuned.

I'm optimistic.
Old 06-25-2010 | 05:16 PM
Orange County

does the powertrain warranty cover the clutch/flywheel/clutch box?

or you have the bumper to bumper
Old 06-27-2010 | 07:22 AM
jasabeast

same thing happens to my 06... i heard SS clutch line and RBF 600 does the trick but i just recently purchased a new clutch and flywheel and SS clutch line.. went with competition stg 2 and competition lightweight flywheel i think 13lbs.. and agency power clutch line
Old 07-01-2010 | 09:39 AM
corsairprime

I have the extended warranty, bumper to bumper 7yr-100K miles. I got it with a $50 deductible. I think I saved some money at the time I bought the car.

My update so far is this:
Since I have had the car back from Nissan the clutch has been behaving. No more soft pedal feel. Nissan changed out the Clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder. Since I provided the Stainless clutch line and the RBF600 they cheerfully put those in as well. I'll monitor the pedal feel for the next 2 weeks or so just in case, but, so far I am satisfied with the results. Oh one other thing I had done at the time was to have both belts replaced. Is 4 yrs/62K miles about right for Belts. Just curious. More in a week unless something bad happens.

If anyone wants the Nissan of McKinney's service writers name and number I can provide that as well. PLS PM me for those. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2010 | 10:02 AM
VQdriver

Originally Posted by corsairprime
I have an '06 350Z 6MT. 61000 Miles on it. Mostly highway.

I recently had my clutch fluid flushed and replaced as part of the 50000 mile service. It was a dealer suggestion. I know, maybe I shouldn't have. Seemed harmless to me though. Then I drove the car home. Texas gets hot in the summer and the clutch feel until this service was consistent and firm. The soft feel happens when the ambient temp gets into the mid to high 90s and the car has been operating for 30-45 minutes (normal commute home). The clutch starts to feel like it is halfway depressed before I put my foot on the pedal. Weird huh. Well I took it back to them and they flushed and filled the clutch system. The problems persist. In the morning first start and drive away, all feels normal. Afternoon first start ok, 15 minutes later soft pedal.

Have any of you experienced this? What did you do about it? I am inclined to make the service folks at the local Nissan dealership redo/rebuild the whole clutch Master/Slave cylinder system.

Opinions? Suggestions welcome.
Damn, I get that same exact problem only in the heat (~90deg) and driving about 30+mins especially in some heavy stop and go traffic with the AC on. If it gets hot enough the pedal will stay at halfway depressed. It started maybe once or twice last summer and it continues more frequently this summer. I ordered some ATE superblue brake fluid thinking the oem fluid is tired and will attempt to bleed the clutch this weekend.

Btw, is the clutch master and slave cylinder covered under powertrain warranty? No, correct? My basic warranty expired.
Old 07-02-2010 | 10:52 AM
corsairprime

@ VQdriver

I got my master and slave clutch cylinders replaced under the extended warranty.

I don't think it's covered by the power train coverage, but here's what details are of a 2006 Nissan warranty book:

■ POWERTRAIN COVERAGE
• The Powertrain coverage period is 60 months or 60,000
miles, whichever comes first.
• This warranty covers any repairs needed to correct
defects in materials or workmanship.
• Powertrain coverage applies to components listed below,
supplied by Nissan except for those items listed
under the caption “WHAT IS NOT COVERED”.
ENGINE
Cylinder heads and block and all internal parts, rocker
covers and oil pan, valve train and front cover, timing chain
and tensioner, oil pump, water pump and fuel pump, fuel
injectors, intake and exhaust manifolds and supercharger,
flywheel, seals, and gaskets.
TRANSMISSION AND TRANSAXLE
Case and all internal parts, torque converter and converter
housing, automatic transmission control module, transfer
case and all internal parts, seals and gaskets, clutch cover
and housing, and electronic transmission controls.

DRIVETRAIN
Drive shafts, final drive housing and all internal parts,
propeller shafts, universal joints, bearings, seals and gaskets.

There's more to read but no specifics re: clutch Master/Slave cylinder

Here's the link to the document I got this from:
http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpub...2006_N_WIB.pdf

I wish I had a better answer for you.
Old 07-02-2010 | 04:22 PM
VQdriver

Thanks. I guess it couldn't hurt to ask the dealer, but I already started looking for replacement parts for DIY if a simple bleed doesn't work.
Old 07-06-2010 | 01:41 PM
Bevo

Originally Posted by VQdriver
Thanks. I guess it couldn't hurt to ask the dealer, but I already started looking for replacement parts for DIY if a simple bleed doesn't work.
+1 I have the same issues now on my 06' with 50k miles. It happens when it's hot outside above 90 degree. Would you let us know if it is covered under powertrain warranty once you find out please?
Old 07-07-2010 | 07:01 AM
VQdriver

Originally Posted by Bevo
+1 I have the same issues now on my 06' with 50k miles. It happens when it's hot outside above 90 degree. Would you let us know if it is covered under powertrain warranty once you find out please?
Hello, looks like your basic warranty just expired as did mine last fall. I called into my local Infiniti dealer (Holman) and they said the clutch master and slave cylinder are NOT covered under powertrain warranty.
Old 07-07-2010 | 10:27 AM
spacemn_spiff

My clutch pedal also goes soft after it gets hot, I am going to replace with ATE fluid. Hope I dont have master cylinder issue.
Old 07-08-2010 | 10:40 PM
VQdriver

Originally Posted by spacemn_spiff
My clutch pedal also goes soft after it gets hot, I am going to replace with ATE fluid. Hope I dont have master cylinder issue.
The thing that gets me is this problem only occurs when it's hot under stop and go over 20-30mins. Winter is fine for the last 2 years of this. I truly suspect the fluid being fatigued. Mine hasn't been replaced yet. I have ATE superblue waiting in the box, but I had to replace a dead battery 2 days ago lol. I will try this weekend if I have time.

Quick Reply: Clutch Feels Soft - Fluid replaced. 06 6MT