Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

do any of the forum sponsors sell maintenance kits?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010 | 09:55 AM
6swhite350z

Default do any of the forum sponsors sell maintenance kits?

i have a 2004 enthusiast.. with 58k on the clock

i want to do the 60k service...
engine oil and filter change
transmission fluid drain/refill
rear differential fluid drain/refill
Engine air filter
Cabin filter
belts

any forum sponsors sell a package? Or should I go to the store buy these parts individually?

I found a lot of good information on the site as far as when to do the maintenance, but can someone list the oil weights for 1) engine oil, 2) tranny oil, 3) rear diff? thanks
Old 08-05-2010 | 11:16 AM
davidv

Have never seen one but this may give retailers an idea. Members often ask “What should I do at 60,000 miles?" Retailers may just answer with a kit.
Old 08-05-2010 | 12:06 PM
*Boose*

Mynismo.com I believe has them. If not them then courtesyparts.com will, and if not them, then you're just better off ordering it all from autozone.
Old 08-05-2010 | 12:40 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 6swhite350z
i have a 2004 enthusiast.. with 58k on the clock

i want to do the 60k service...
engine oil and filter change
transmission fluid drain/refill
rear differential fluid drain/refill
Engine air filter
Cabin filter
belts

any forum sponsors sell a package? Or should I go to the store buy these parts individually?

I found a lot of good information on the site as far as when to do the maintenance, but can someone list the oil weights for 1) engine oil, 2) tranny oil, 3) rear diff? thanks
The biggest problem with a "kit" is it conflicts with so many personal preferences. Everybody has their favorite motor oil, air filter, lubes. Any kit put together probably wouldn't sell for that reason alone.

Check your local places (Autozone, OReilly, Pepboys, etc.), they are always having sales on oil and filters. If you don't have a preference, take the first one that comes along, otherwise wait for your personal fave to go on sale.

You don't see Trans and Diff lubes on sale that often so your best bet is to shop around locally.

Engine air filter - either get a OEM filter or a good quality name-brand, anything except Fram.

The Z doesn't have a cabin air filter.

I get belts from the dealer. High quality, guaranteed to fit, no squeeling.

Some of that you can order from the online places like MyNismo (Performance), Courtesy Nissan, etc.

Your owners manual lists all the proper weights and quantity for fluids. There's also a Maintenance sticky at the top of the forum that has links to a bunch of DIY threads. Check it out for fluid recommendations.
Old 08-05-2010 | 03:24 PM
6swhite350z

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
The biggest problem with a "kit" is it conflicts with so many personal preferences. Everybody has their favorite motor oil, air filter, lubes. Any kit put together probably wouldn't sell for that reason alone.

Check your local places (Autozone, OReilly, Pepboys, etc.), they are always having sales on oil and filters. If you don't have a preference, take the first one that comes along, otherwise wait for your personal fave to go on sale.

You don't see Trans and Diff lubes on sale that often so your best bet is to shop around locally.

Engine air filter - either get a OEM filter or a good quality name-brand, anything except Fram.

The Z doesn't have a cabin air filter.

I get belts from the dealer. High quality, guaranteed to fit, no squeeling.

Some of that you can order from the online places like MyNismo (Performance), Courtesy Nissan, etc.

Your owners manual lists all the proper weights and quantity for fluids. There's also a Maintenance sticky at the top of the forum that has links to a bunch of DIY threads. Check it out for fluid recommendations.
Thanks for the info... I'll go to autozone to shop around

In regards to the weights...I see it in the user's manual. But given that it was written in 03/04, I was wondering if Nissan announced any changes and recommended the use of different products/weights? How do I know which differential oil to use? Some have additives, some do not.
Old 08-05-2010 | 06:07 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Although written years ago, the engine was designed for a certain grade of oil and that is what should still be used.

The newer 350s came with synthetic oil in the trans and diff. That is the generally accepted practice around here too - when you change diff and trans, go with a synthetic.

The threads I referenced (DIYs on changing trans and diff) have suggestions on the brands, weights and amounts needed. It can be a little confusing picking one. Diff requires GL-5, trans requires GL-4. IIRC, Royal Purple is both GL-4 and GL-5 compatible without the harmful GL-5 additives that our trans doesn't like. So there is a little research required before you blindly pick lubes. Also, the weights aren't always available so you'll see some mixing of two weights to make the required one.