Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Car won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 11:04 AM
insane350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start!

Alright guys I've got a problem here and I'm working at getting it fixed ASAP because the Z is my daily driver. Friday afternoon I was heading to school to go on some senior field trip and I'm slowing down to make a left turn at a light and all of a sudden the car engine shuts off. I keep trying to start the car but it won't start. It sounds perfectly fine and it's turning over but the engine just won't start. Luckily, one of my friends was behind me so we push it into a close gas station and I talk to the person inside and tell them I'm leaving it overnight because I have to get to this field trip at a certain time. They say that's fine and they won't tow it. I then go on my field trip and return back to school at 7AM and my friend gives me a ride over to the car. I know that sometimes the Z gas gauges can be innaccurate so I decide to put a little gas to see if that's the problem because I only had 1/8th tank. I put gas and that's not the problem. I then push it back to the parking spot and start messing with it. I checked vacuum lines and what not, just typical things that might go wrong. Couldn't find anything and ended up having it towed to a mechanics shop where they took a look at it. After trying to connect to the computer for about 30 minutes, one of the mechanics reaches a verdict that he think it's the ECM. He says that he think's the ECM is done because he can't connect to it and he tried a million different things and I just had the codes pulled a few days earlier because of a bad O2 sensor so I know he should be able to pull the codes. He told me the ECM controls all the electrical things in the engine which would explain why neither of us could hear the fuel pump priming. Also, after the whole incident happened where the car shut off, as we were pushing it, I noticed that the gas gauge still read that the car had gas but the temperature gauge was not reading anything at all and basically said the engine was completely cold and the key was in the ON position. I'm not sure if the car is supposed to read oil pressure when turning over but it wasn't reading anything on there either. They said they will get a second opinion on Monday from another one of there mechanics since everybody left for the day and will also check the main relay and fuses and what not to make sure. I've read several threads already about the crank sensor and camshaft sensor but they said they don't think that's the problem because the computer isn't responding at all and is unable to connect. So this is why I'm here. I'd like some opinions from some of you guys who know what your talking about to tell me what you think my problem may be. Also, at the time this happened I was driving completely normal. THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 04-25-2010, 11:10 AM
insane350

BUMP, can anyone help please?
Old 04-26-2010, 03:27 PM
insane350

Thanks guys, I don't know what I would have done without ALL your help. Turns out it was the ECM main fuse....
Old 08-05-2010, 06:50 PM
raycs7

I started having that issue recently but this Z is not my DD.
Parked the car in the driveway and headed to Mexico for a week.
On my return it turns over strong but will not start.
I checked all fuses with no luck, I will try to connect with a dyad meter when I get back from this Caribbean trip in 2 weeks.
One of the Z here also developed an issue shutting down at random ...I believe is Crank Angle related after clutch work.