Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Loud "clunk" when braking hard

Old 11-19-2003, 02:00 PM
Dissolved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud "clunk" when braking hard

Sounds like it may be from the rear passenger side of the car. It has happened under the following conditions:

1. First "brake" of the day. Coming to stop sign and pressing the brake usually makes this noise. But after that, it's gone

2. Cruising on cruise control for an extended amount of time. Then having to brake

3. Sudden emergency braking causes this loud clunk as well.

It's a single clunk and it's annoying. Anone else have it or know WTF it is?
Old 11-19-2003, 02:48 PM
woogemooge

interesting...i too had a big clunk couple days ago. it was in the morning...car was still a bit cold. first stop sign out of my garage, i braked a little harder than usual. it might have been ABS, but didn't feel anything on my pedal.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:56 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

One time I had to swerve to avoid hitting something, hit the brakes hard while turning the wheel and heard the clunk you are referring to. Upon parking the car, I inspected the car for like five minutes in order to suffice myself that I didn't do any damage.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:50 PM
specialp

It is the abs. the abs does a self test on your first brake at low speeds. Check the manual. In addition, if you brake hard, it comes on.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:36 PM
luke350z

I don't think it's the ABS. I hear the clunk when I enter my alley. It an uphill turn, and when I brake.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:49 PM
syf0n

I don't think it is the ABS either. I have this problem when I slam on my brakes from highspeed as approaching a turn, etc. It is less like the clunk that the ABS makes and more like a deep "POP" sound. It is VERY loud and you can hear it even at highway speed when you hit the brakes. You have to be breaking pretty hard to make it happen.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:20 PM
Grommit

Every day I hear of a new problem with the Z. What have I gotten myself into?!?!
Old 11-22-2003, 12:17 AM
the_bode

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have your dealer check & re-torque the front control arm bolts. This happened to me at around 10,000 miles. Apparently there is a TSB for it.
The following users liked this post:
krsone579 (03-03-2024)
Old 11-25-2003, 02:39 PM
brgerflipr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ditto. i had the same problem, and that was the fix. also have them re-torque the suspension as well. no more "clunking".
Old 11-27-2003, 07:57 PM
bhobson333

It sounds to me like it's that big owner's manual folder (or maybe something else) clunking around in the storage compartment behind the passenger seat.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:22 AM
Jim Spangler

I am new to the Forum, as of 12-2-03. I joined because I noticed a loud "clunk" when braking. I just turned 6100 miles on the Z and if any car has been babyed, it is this one. In any case the Dealer had no clue to the cause of the problem, however, your input should will be a great educational tool for them. Here is another question. What can you do about the window grease marks? Thanks.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:34 AM
Dissolved

Hi Jim. I'm hoping this noise is normal (read=abs). I'm not totally sure though.

There is an official TSB (technical service bulletin) for the grease streaks. Dealer should know what to do

Here is Nissan North Americas phone number if your dealer gives you a hard time 1-800-647-7261
Old 12-02-2003, 09:56 AM
vincenzobar

I use to get a clunk when eccelerating in 1 and 2. Turned out to be a improper torquing issue in the rear suspension!!

Now i get a clunk when i roll my tires first thing in the morn or after its been sitting for a while. like the brakes needinfg to be released more or they got sticky!! weird but not too much to worry about!
Old 12-02-2003, 10:54 AM
stx

Is it the seat belt locking mechanism? I hear that clunk when I accelerate hard and brake hard. My passengers always complain that the seat belt locks up when it makes that clunk sound.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:06 PM
MySunset350Z

i had that same problem. only i'd get it when braking hard/ accelerating hard/ or just turning hard.

they torqued down the suspension, and noticed that there was some metal to metal contact that wasnt supposed to be there so they took care of it. no noise since.

actually i did hear a noise i few days ago. but it was the roll of electric tape i forgot in the spare tire compartment.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:22 PM
klimekp

i get an occasional clunk from the front passenger side wheel. i've have had it happen when braking, accelerating, and when moving forward or backward with wheels turned all the way. gonna take it to the dealer after the holidays. don't you love how you can read about this stuff on the forum then have the dealer tell you they never heard of such a problem before?
Old 12-23-2003, 04:34 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by klimekp
i get an occasional clunk from the front passenger side wheel. i've have had it happen when braking, accelerating, and when moving forward or backward with wheels turned all the way. gonna take it to the dealer after the holidays. don't you love how you can read about this stuff on the forum then have the dealer tell you they never heard of such a problem before?
The bad thing is you have to recreate the problem at the dealer if they are going to do anything about it
Old 12-26-2003, 08:04 AM
Clos

i had the same problem with mine. The lower control arm on the passenger side was able to get two wrench turns out of it. now its fine
Old 12-26-2003, 01:36 PM
sunzet

I get the same noise and it only does it when braking for the first time after a long period of driving. If I brake again to see where the noise is coming from it does not do it. It never happens while accelerating.

Lower control arm? Mmm… Is this something easy to fix at home? or I need to go thru the painful process of getting an appointment, waiting a week and then leaving the car at the dealer all day. Sorry for the sarcasm but I just had it with my dealer and the tire feathering problem.

Any info is well appreciated
Old 12-29-2003, 06:49 AM
abogada001

Make sure everything is tight, when I had my calipers painted and sway ares replaced some of the fastening bolts came slightly loose after a few days and I had a similar clunking noise.

Robin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud "clunk" when braking hard