Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Transmission Grinding

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 11:42 AM
eztax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed the throw out bearing when i replaced my clutch, so i'm sure its not that.

When we replaced the transmission oil, we replaced the transmission oil with a different type however they said it would still work... I forgot exactly which one we used.

I'm gonna have them bleed the system, if that doesnt stop it.. then i'll replace the tranny oil. IF that doesnt fix it, ill test the slave and mater cylinder...

Does that sound like the right steps?
Old 01-15-2011, 02:01 PM
tyau

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would change the fluid first. It's the easiest to do and can be done by yourself. Since you forgot what you used for tranny fluid last time, it's safe to change that first. I recommend Redline MT90. It's GL4 and has additives to reduce grinding on an aged transmission. I use it on all my cars.

I doubt its the master and/or slave. But if fluid doesn't solve it, then you might want to change the master/slave to rule out the problems. Before you change out the master/slave, you can adjust the master cylinder to make the clutch disengage more fully.

Although you changed the throw out not too long ago, the pilot bearing sometimes breaks when you drop the transmission as that put some stress on the pilot. A bad pilot causes rough shifting and ignoring it will eventually wear out the synchros. Only change out the pilot when all other steps fail. That's the hardest step to perform and you want to try the easiest things first.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:38 PM
eztax

I took the car to a shop because i dont have a lot of time in my hands right now... and they said it was the tranny. I'm still having a hard time believing its the tranny ... I asked them what was wrong with the tranny and they couldnt answer the question.

they said it would have to be dropped down and brought it.

300 to drop it down
750-1200 to repair

Ya right, I can find a used 009 tranny for much less then that...
Old 01-23-2011, 11:26 PM
tony530

sorry bro leaving you hanging!! I had a family matter to attend too....seen your videos helps alot it not gonna be your slave cyinder cause it would also grind when you let the rpm drop!!! im thinking it the wrong weight fluid or type of fluid?
Can you remeber what fluid was used???
Old 02-23-2011, 07:02 PM
lowky

Originally Posted by tony530
does it make any noise when you are in neutral and rev up the motor? while having the clutch pedal ingage! no gear
O my god this is exactly what my car is doing!! If I push the clutch and rev up it grinds someone please tell me what it could be.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:24 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the noise in the video is happening after the shift lever is all the way in gear and while you're letting the clutch pedal come up, the problem is in the clutch itself.

If it was in the transmission, the noise would happen any time you accelerated, not just when you're changing gears and using the clutch. From what you've said the car is OK once you've completed the shift, and your foot is off the clutch pedal.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:45 PM
lowky

My 03 z grinds while I am in neutral with clutch fully pressed and I rev up the engine, it also grinds when I shift fast from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4 is smoother 4 to 5 better and 6 no problem, now if I shift slowly it doesn't grind, any help please
Old 02-24-2011, 05:44 PM
zerostyle

you get it fixed?

i have the exact same problem!!! got engine replaced...gears making grinding noise, can feel it in ****, no problem getting in gears. makes noise only in low rpms, not in downshifts. etc etc....
Old 02-25-2011, 01:27 AM
winchman

Grinding in neutral almost has to be the throw-out bearing, but you may have other problems as well from the symptoms.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:41 AM
zerostyle

Im not grinding in neutral.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:31 PM
eztax

Sorry guys for not updating the thread. I have not fixed the issue and have been driving the car the way it is.

The only solution i have is to hold the clutch down for a second before taking the gear out and putting it in the next gear.

I can feel the grind on the ****, the clutch pedal feels weird, but i still havent narrowed the problem down...
Old 02-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Z33TUNER

Originally Posted by lowky
My 03 z grinds while I am in neutral with clutch fully pressed and I rev up the engine, it also grinds when I shift fast from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4 is smoother 4 to 5 better and 6 no problem, now if I shift slowly it doesn't grind, any help please
bro i have the exact same problem thats happening to you and im also trying to see how to fix it.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:16 PM
zerostyle

K all 3 of us have same problem...lets stay on this thread. Tranny fluid isnt it guys....i changed mine with nissans recommended weight... i spoke with eztax and my speculation now is tranny mounts if i have to explain to you why then i will... i already crossed off engine mounts today....
Old 02-25-2011, 08:18 PM
zerostyle

My number is 254 338 5637 if yall keep me posted i will do the same and we wont have to spend our money on the same things if it wont work
Old 02-26-2011, 12:13 AM
Nealoc187

This is not a gear/synchro grinding issue, I guarantee that. I'd be looking at the clutch.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:25 AM
Z33TUNER

if you guys dont mind me asking what would a whole new tranny cost me??
Old 02-26-2011, 11:25 AM
eztax

I dont think it would be a new tranny since it happened as soon as i replaced the engine....

The cost for a used 009 tranny would be about $1,000...
Old 02-26-2011, 12:46 PM
zerostyle

Not clutch. I believ eztax already replaced it. And ditto. Cant be tranny...happened as soon as i got my motor replaced..before that it was fine
Old 02-27-2011, 12:47 AM
winchman

zerostyle, please explain how the transmission mount can be the cause.

Since the transmission is solidly bolted to the engine, the whole assembly moves together. The shifter and slave cylinder are bolted to the transmission, so they move with the assembly, too. I just don't see a way for the transmission mount to change the way those things work/don't work properly.

tyau, good call!! A damaged pilot bearing is a good possibility I hadn't thought of before. It could transmit enough torque to the transmission input shaft to cause problems with shifting even with the clutch fully disengaged. That would be hard on the synchronizers. It could also be making a grinding noise when the pedal was depressed with the transmission in neutral.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:37 AM
zerostyle

Idk anymore lol just thought tranny might be moving too much and not lining up

Quick Reply: Transmission Grinding