Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

scared to change my car's tranny oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:09 PM
sa7er_al3ain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scared to change my car's tranny oil

I have 2005 roadster with 57000 miles on it, Im the 2nd owner for this car & therefore I dnt know if the 1st owner changed the tranny oil before or not. the car has been with me for two years & in these two years I didnt touched the tranny at all. last week I had decided to change the tranny oil so i went to the dealer & I told them the full story, but i was astonished when they said that they will not get the responsibility if the tranny stop working in the future after changing the oil. I had checked with many workshops & they said the same as what the dealer said. they dnt wana take the responsibility because in fact it happened with many people that the tranny stopped working with the new oil, so why the tranny was working perfectly with the old oil, but it stopped working with the new oil? they said its because the old oil contained iron fillings (or i dunno what u call it), & these iron fillings accumulate with time & they are keeping the tranny working, so with the new oil the tranny will not work because those iron fillings are not present with the new oil.

im really confused regarding changing the oil, especially that nobody could approve to me whether the tranny will work or not with the new oil

how I can solve this?
Old 02-16-2011, 01:42 PM
sdZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sub'd
Old 02-16-2011, 01:42 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sa7er_al3ain
scared to change my car's tranny oil
Many of us live in fear. Afraid that we will be killed crossing the street. Afraid that we will have a massive heart attack after eating a double-cheese burger. Do not fall into the trap. Put your chest out and suck in that gut. Walk tall.

You have nothing to fear except fear itself.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:56 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I guess I don't understand the statement "so i went to the dealer & I told them the full story" - what story? There's nothing to be afraid of and the dealer has no reason to make you think otherwise. They're in the business of doing service, a trans oil change is a service they provide. you don't have an un-reasonable amount of mileage on the car so I don't see why the concern of the transmission failing due to an oil change.

Check the recommended maint sched...

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...intenance.html

It doesn't even specify a replacment interval for transmission fluid, it only suggest Inspection.

Last edited by DavesZ#3; 02-16-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:45 PM
laser24

maybe im mistaken but the iron filings they speak of are collected by magnets in the transmission pan and if you have excessive amounts of these, then your tranny is prolly half shot already and disturbing the fluid may indeed cause the filings to be dispursed and reak havok on the internals of the tranny.. but at the mileage you have on the car and as long as the tranny is in good shape , i dont see why it would be a concern..
Old 02-16-2011, 05:31 PM
AJCaron12

Easily one of the dumbest stories I've read on this site. EDIT: I just hit 86k on my 6spd and just changed the tranny fluid. Change it, you will be fine.

Last edited by AJCaron12; 02-16-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:25 PM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AJCaron12
Easily one of the dumbest stories I've read on this site. EDIT: I just hit 86k on my 6spd and just changed the tranny fluid. Change it, you will be fine.

Just get the oil changed with the correct oil (Nissan OEM fluid, or Redline MT-85) and change the aluminum crush washers. If your too scared to have the transmission changed, then you might as well stop changing the motor oil and replacing tires as well.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:57 AM
sa7er_al3ain

Originally Posted by davidv
Many of us live in fear. Afraid that we will be killed crossing the street. Afraid that we will have a massive heart attack after eating a double-cheese burger. Do not fall into the trap. Put your chest out and suck in that gut. Walk tall.

You have nothing to fear except fear itself.
loooooooooool

now thats what i call it scared from dying from laughing, maybe scarred wasnt the suitable word. ok lets worried from changing the tranny oil. sounds good right??
Old 02-17-2011, 04:09 AM
sa7er_al3ain

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
I guess I don't understand the statement "so i went to the dealer & I told them the full story" - what story? There's nothing to be afraid of and the dealer has no reason to make you think otherwise. They're in the business of doing service, a trans oil change is a service they provide. you don't have an un-reasonable amount of mileage on the car so I don't see why the concern of the transmission failing due to an oil change.

Check the recommended maint sched...

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...intenance.html

It doesn't even specify a replacment interval for transmission fluid, it only suggest Inspection.
ok lets make it clear. the dealer here hates anyone whose doesnt make the routine service with him especially if ur car s nt GCC spec. & because my car s US imported & i hadnt done any service with the dealer, thats why the dealer makes the situation worse on me. they didnt accept to receive my car in the beginning because my car s nt GCC spec. I had checked the schedule for the Z with the dealer & he said that my car should get one ATM oil change at 25000 mile & the second change should be at 50000 but the schedule that u post it said that i need only inspection, thats strange really, from which site that schedule is cited from??
Old 02-17-2011, 04:13 AM
sa7er_al3ain

loooooool actually my life s full of stupid storied like this & im nt sad because they make me laugh
Old 02-17-2011, 04:16 AM
sa7er_al3ain

Originally Posted by ian99rt

Just get the oil changed with the correct oil (Nissan OEM fluid, or Redline MT-85) and change the aluminum crush washers. If your too scared to have the transmission changed, then you might as well stop changing the motor oil and replacing tires as well.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:25 AM
huyrua

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Change it but make sure to use the correct ATM.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:46 PM
scoobyrex247

"be a man, do the right thing." -russel peters

All joke aside, i changed my tranny and diff at 50k. Really dirty but no problems
Old 02-18-2011, 01:53 PM
AJCaron12

Originally Posted by sa7er_al3ain
ok lets make it clear. the dealer here hates anyone whose doesnt make the routine service with him especially if ur car s nt GCC spec. & because my car s US imported & i hadnt done any service with the dealer, thats why the dealer makes the situation worse on me. they didnt accept to receive my car in the beginning because my car s nt GCC spec. I had checked the schedule for the Z with the dealer & he said that my car should get one ATM oil change at 25000 mile & the second change should be at 50000 but the schedule that u post it said that i need only inspection, thats strange really, from which site that schedule is cited from??
You must of been scared to go to school and take an english class too.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:08 AM
sa7er_al3ain

You must of been scared to go to school and take an english class too.
really? good for u
Old 02-20-2011, 08:56 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the car equipped with a 6-speed manual transmission or an automatic?

I've heard stories about automatic transmissions failing soon after the fluid is changed, but I suspect it only happens because the transmission was already ruined BEFORE the servicing.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:03 AM
AJCaron12

Originally Posted by winchman

I've heard stories about automatic transmissions failing soon after the fluid is changed, but I suspect it only happens because the transmission was already ruined BEFORE the servicing.
https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...ml#post8975118
Old 02-22-2011, 05:44 AM
sa7er_al3ain

Originally Posted by winchman

its auto, but u know recently I figured out that my bro changed the tranny oil on my car when it was 25000 miles, & right now its 58000 so I hope there s no prob after changing the oil, & Im thinking to change the differential oil at the same time
Old 02-22-2011, 06:48 AM
dudegetalife

so how often are you supposed to flush the differential and change that out?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 AM
AJCaron12

Originally Posted by dudegetalife
so how often are you supposed to flush the differential and change that out?
Just like recommended for auto transmissions; check it every 15k. Honestly, the rear end fluid will probably last the life of the car. Some people change it at 90k, some every 60k, there's really no set mileage that I'm seeing. Me, I just bought my 04 Z with 85k on it, and I just flushed the manual tranny, flushed the rear end, and did a tune up; I always do all the maintenance when I buy a car anyway, regardless of mileage, I don't know how the first owner treated the car before it was mine.

Quick Reply: scared to change my car's tranny oil