Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Valve problem?help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011 | 02:05 PM
dorifto_boy

Default Valve problem?help!!

I guys

for some time I have this problem, my vq35 ticking and I just can not understand what could be the cause ... in Italy is not easy to find people who can "hear" this engine ... so I rely on your super community to seek help ...

I put one video ...
this was shot under my 350z, I suggest you listen with headphones or put your ear to the speaker ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z9cnlw1y40

sounds like a "TAFT TAFT TAFT TAFT"

the noise is more stronger in the drive side of the engine...i think this a valve problem but not sure...

i hope u can help me!!!!

tanks
Old 02-19-2011 | 05:16 PM
jray8

It's normal. I've had my Z since 2007 and have had that noise since day 1. It doesn't affect performance, and only lose half a quart of oil every 3k miles. Also, just got my spark plugs changed at a local dealership yesterday and even they said it was normal as it is the variable valve timing etc. It could only be the valve shims or injectors though. In my case, there is a valve shim that may need to be replaced, but again, the dealership mechanics said this was a normal noise so im leaving it be as it has been 3.5 years I have owned the vehicle with this same noise.

Last edited by jray8; 02-19-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-22-2011 | 05:52 AM
dorifto_boy

303 view...only one reply

tanks jray
Old 03-03-2011 | 08:10 PM
trusovici

i have an 04 with 45k on the motor, no mods just intake. my valves used to tick all the time, i could hear them when driving past other parked cars. very annoying. i bought the car with 38k miles on it about a year ago and dont remember hearing any ticking. after hearing everyone talk about how great MOBIL 1 was, i decided to try it. Thats when my valves started ticking. didnt think there was a relation because everyone loves that **** oil. Two days ago the valve noise was getting real bad especially on decelleration, sounded like the valves were starved of oil. my oil pressure was low but i had put in extended performance oil, supposedly good for 15k mile change intervals. garbage!! went to autozone to get another bottle to top it off and they didnt have any in stock. i picked up a bottle of castrol edge, put it in and guess what? the ticking went away, oil pressure was back to normal and i am happy as a pig in ****. So try changing your oil and to those of you who swear by MOBIL 1, **** off, that **** is weak.
oh yea and i dont track the car or beat on it too bad. changed oil every 3k or less. used to use castrol gtx in my old maximas, never had a problem, and i beat the ***** off those cars. seems like MOBIL's oil is too thin and not coating the internal parts very well. Probably the reason why 1 quart burned away in less than 2k miles. extended performance my ***, my motor wouldve been done by 15k.

Last edited by trusovici; 03-03-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-03-2011 | 08:18 PM
trusovici

changing my oil this weekend with castrol 0w30 euro blend or GC as its known on the forums. we'll see how it performs.