Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Gremlins in my Z (Momentum ST, CC STG4, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Crawling_Drunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gremlins in my Z (Momentum ST, CC STG4, etc)

So the car feels awesome while driving it... however...

1. I don't know if it's the STG 4 clutch, the flywheel or the diff... but it jerks a lot sometimes when I start to move...

**2** I'm starting to freak out cuz I've heard 'kinda metal-on-metal' vibration when at low RPMs. Either when I'm in 1st or 2nd gear (and rpms are really low). I've also noticed it when I shut off my car, or start it up not too long after (5-10 mins usually), sometimes feels like a bad engine mount or so tho it always goes away after rpms or speed picks up... One of my friends who also has a same year Z had his Z 'jerk' repeatedly when shifting and stuff and he found out that he was way low on oil... tho I keep checking mine and it seems fine. I wonder if it's me, that I gotta re-learn how to drive her, or if there's legit something wrong w/ the car... I gotta take a look...

Does anyone know how much oil the Z takes after the Momentum Single Turbo install? I know it's 5 quarts on a stock motor, but I don't know if because you tap into the engine oil for the turbo, it should consume too much more...
Old 03-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Jordan_NSI
Vendor - Former Vendor

A couple of questions;

- Who performed the installation?
- What year is your 350Z?

A bit of input;

Concerning your clutch-activation complaints; a somewhat harsh engagement is characteristic of a pucked clutch disc, which the Competition Clutch Stage-IV is. That's something you'll just have to learn to drive around.

Concerning your low-RPM metal-on-metal noise; I assume you had a lightweight flywheel installed with the clutch, as well? From the initial sound of your description, it sounds like the noise you're describing is simply clutch/flywheel chatter. It's very common with these cars with an aftermarket clutch/flywheel assembly.

Concernin your post-turbo kit installation engine oil capacity; typically the oil level stays just about the same. There's a minimal amount of oil that typically rests in the -3an turbocharger oil feed line, but that's about it. Read the dip stick, it will tell you accurately, but I'd say 5quarts should get it correct, there's not that much oil resting in that feed line, if any at all.

Also, if your friend was having affected drivability due to low engine oil level/pressure, he's got bigger worries than drivability.

Lastly, if you need any help with your 350Z at all, we're a short drive from Jacksonville. 350Z is one of our specialties, and we're a certified Momentum Performance dealer and installer. We can help you out however you need.

Feel free to make the drive down this coming week, I'd be glad to take a drive with you and offer some input on your noted issues.

Check us out; www.nationalspeedinc.com.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:20 PM
AngelsVQ

chattering man! comes with the clutch ha normal (if its that)
Old 03-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Crawling_Drunk

I had an RSX-S w/ a Stg 2 clutch... and a Turbo EK with a Stg 4... and none of them felt like this. I know that the chatter from the clutch will make your car jerk as you're trying to take off. This noise coming from the engine bay sounds like vibration or rattling between two metal parts... I don't know maybe it's just me. But it deff doesn't feel/sound right. I haven't driven the car in 3 weeks so it might just be me, but it deff don't feel right...

I took the car out for a drive to try to see more what it might be, and it's deff from the Tranny. Still can hear it sometimes when I turn the car off or subsequently turn it on.

On a side note tho, I was suspecting I had a bad ball joint, or one about to go bad since I heard some clunking noises once in a while from the front-passanger side when I hit some bumps, and today it seems more pronounced. It's got 98K miles so I figure it's gonna have a couple things gonna start messing up, plus this car is slammed so that doesn't help the suspension either, lol.

PMs sent! >.< I hope the car is ready for April 17th (MB Drift Rd 2!!!)
Old 03-27-2011, 07:54 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had chatter with my act clutch if i lugged it down..not sure what noise u are getting but it may be just chattering..take it somewhere that will know and knows the Z if ur not sure