Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

worn belt at 10,800 has anyone had this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 06:22 PM
boxsterkiller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry worn belt at 10,800 has anyone had this problem?

I heard what sounded like the belts squeaking, so I pop the hood and found that the a/c belt was wearing. The edge on the belt looked puffy like it was being pushed towards the rear. Eventually a piece of the belt also had ripped off the last row/groove on the belt, it slapped the **** out of the eng. bay, anyway my Z has all the Z problems, but I'm being taken care of at my dealer. It getting fixed right now I'll advise. Check your Z. Just an FYI.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:37 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

moved
Old 12-03-2003, 11:04 PM
Balls

do you use your ac frequently?

I hate it when the ac turns on by itself. I instinctively turn it off as quick as I can so basically that means that my ac turns on and off like crazy. That probably isn't so great for the switch but I'm wondering if this might bug the belt too.... hmmm.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:28 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:29 AM
dnguyent

Since our Z's come with this funky climate control system, the a/c is always on, even in cold weather. My a/c is on when it's 50F outside, while I set my inside temp to a balmy 75F. I can verify that it's working even with the outside temps are very low by pressing the ac on/off toggle.

It seems pretty inefficient to run the a/c during the winter, but if you turn off the a/c, it actually gets too warm in the cabin despite lowering the thermostat setting. Also, if the fan is not set to "off" the car automatically turns on the a/c once you turn off the engine, and restart it. Like z-*****, I think it's annoying too.

I wouldn't be surprised if my a/c belts wear out much sooner than all my other cars (none had climate control). Here in central calif, I probably use the a/c only in the 2 hottest months. The Z has the a/c working ALL the time (unless I manually turn it off). That means that the a/c belt is getting 6x more use than my past cars. But, at 10k miles, that's still seems way too premature to be replacing the belt.

I also don't like how traction control is automatically turned back on every time I restart the car. Automation can sometimes suck.