Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Window motor or switch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 06:47 AM
Joepiper151

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window motor or switch?

Hey guys I need your help again.

So I went to roll my windows up and didnt realize that my girlfriend still had her hand out of the window holding the roof. The window almost trapped her hand but i hit the switch at the last second and it kinda got her hand stuck. Now my window wont work. Is there some kind of safety mode or just a blown motor?
Old 05-31-2011, 08:55 AM
BTarb24

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I've never heard of the safety feature.. plus it doesn't sound like it would be very useful/safe.. why disable the motor when it hits something. That just means whatever it hit will be stuck forever.

The first thing i'd try is disconnecting the battery for about a half hour. If there is some wonky safety feature then this might reset it.

The switch is unlikely. If the drivers switch goes bad then you'd still be able to roll it down with the passenger switch (assuming you don't have the window lock on).

Electric motors can burn out if there's too much resistance, but it sounds like it barely hit her hand so that seems a little odd. Though, a blown motor sounds like the most likely cause of the failure. I've never changed the window motor on the Z but i remember it sucking when i did it on a different car. My arm was all cut up from having to do all the work by sticking it in a small hole in the door's sharp sheet metal. If i were doing it again i'd cut a small piece of tubing and slice it vertically then put it on the edge of the metal so it wouldn't cut me.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:14 AM
Joepiper151

Originally Posted by BTarb24
I've never heard of the safety feature.. plus it doesn't sound like it would be very useful/safe.. why disable the motor when it hits something. That just means whatever it hit will be stuck forever.

The first thing i'd try is disconnecting the battery for about a half hour. If there is some wonky safety feature then this might reset it.

The switch is unlikely. If the drivers switch goes bad then you'd still be able to roll it down with the passenger switch (assuming you don't have the window lock on).

Electric motors can burn out if there's too much resistance, but it sounds like it barely hit her hand so that seems a little odd. Though, a blown motor sounds like the most likely cause of the failure. I've never changed the window motor on the Z but i remember it sucking when i did it on a different car. My arm was all cut up from having to do all the work by sticking it in a small hole in the door's sharp sheet metal. If i were doing it again i'd cut a small piece of tubing and slice it vertically then put it on the edge of the metal so it wouldn't cut me.
ok cool, I give it a try. Ive done my driver side z motor before and it was fairly straight forward. hopefully thatll fix it
Old 05-31-2011, 09:28 AM
BTarb24

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BTarb24
Lol, i just re-read what i posted and realized that in the Z it may make more sense than it does in other cars. The Z doesn't have an upper door frame so if the window hits something and disables the motor then all you'd have to do is open the door to free whatever was stuck.

I know in the 2003 G35 there is a button in the door to let you calibrate the top and bottom position of the window so that the motor doesn't try to go further than it can. The Z probably has the same button.. so maybe the window just needs recalibrated? I think this is a long shot, but it might be worth a shot before buying a new motor.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:37 AM
Joepiper151

Yea i know where the button is, I guess its worth a try
Old 05-31-2011, 11:43 AM
Joepiper151

ok so disconnecting the battery for a while did nothing. Im gonna try to reset it but not sure how this is going to work saying there is no action when i press the switch. Is there any fuses associated with the window motors? if so where are they located?
Old 06-04-2011, 06:26 AM
Joepiper151

So i've changed out the window motor with a brand new one and the motor adjusted right as i turned the keys then there was nothing, my window is still not working could it be a problem with the rails? or some other mechanism?