Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Wheel alignment toe-in check

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 03:42 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wheel alignment toe-in check

I've done some reading about how sensitive the soft tires on the Z are to toe-in, so I decided to check my car with some home-made toe plates. I'm past the 12-month window for getting a free alignment, but the car only has 6200 miles.

The toe plates are made of 1 1/4"x1/8" aluminum angle riveted together. I used six identical nylon screws as standoffs to bear on the rim. There's a raised ring on the tire near the rim that keeps the toe plates from sliding down. Rubber bands around the spokes hold everything in place.

Before using the toe plates, I clamped them together at the contact points to check if they were straight. I measured between the ends of the horizontal bars with my micrometer, and the difference was less than 0.005". The long bar doubles the toe-in reading, which makes it easier to read the tape.

After the toe plates were installed and leveled, I used identical tape measures to make the measurements. I switched the tapes front to back and averaged the readings to cancel any error in the tapes. After doing the math, I get a toe-in of 0.03", which is a little less than the nominal spec of 0.04".

The tires are showing just a hint of feathering, and I can feel a slightly different edge on the inside tread blocks depending on which way I run my hand. The tires are non-directional, so I'm going to start switching them side-to-side every 3-4K miles to even out the wear.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel alignment toe-in check-miscellaneous-cannon-074.jpg   Wheel alignment toe-in check-miscellaneous-cannon-075.jpg  

Last edited by winchman; 06-05-2011 at 04:25 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:54 PM
alexek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Killer setup. I made a single bar unit from steel that went all the way across the wheel track and made measurements back then front. Your unit is way easier.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:32 PM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you make a DIY on making this DIY toe alignment plate?
it looks very interesting
Old 01-01-2012, 10:31 PM
samson smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by winchman
I've done some reading about how sensitive the soft tires on the Z are to toe-in, so I decided to check my car with some home-made toe plates. I'm past the 12-month window for getting a free alignment, but the car only has 6200 miles.

The toe plates are made of 1 1/4"x1/8" aluminum angle riveted together. I used six identical nylon screws as standoffs to bear on the rim. There's a raised ring on the tire near the rim that keeps the toe plates from sliding down. Rubber bands around the spokes hold everything in place.

Before using the toe plates, I clamped them together at the contact points to check if they were straight. I measured between the ends of the horizontal bars with my micrometer, and the difference was less than 0.005". The long bar doubles the toe-in reading, which makes it easier to read the tape.

After the toe plates were installed and leveled, I used identical tape measures to make the measurements. I switched the tapes front to back and averaged the readings to cancel any error in the tapes. After doing the math, I get a toe-in of 0.03", which is a little less than the nominal spec of 0.04".

The tires are showing just a hint of feathering, and I can feel a slightly different edge on the inside tread blocks depending on which way I run my hand. The tires are non-directional, so I'm going to start switching them side-to-side every 3-4K miles to even out the wear.
Useful information...!! thanks for sharing the info about to check the cars...!!

Last edited by samson smith; 01-01-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:45 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Impressive tool. Estimate of potential error is what? Plus or minus 20 percent?