Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

03 glutch?trans?slave/master cyinder? not sure

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 08:15 AM
ProShadows

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 glutch?trans?slave/master cyinder? not sure

ok i have a 03 350z... i was cruizin down the street was about to brake and i put it on nuetral (was in second gear)... then the light turns green i had about 3k RPM, so then i tryed to put it in 3rd but it didnt let me... i tryed all the other gears and nothing, the clutch padel doesnt have alot of presure on how it used to and i didnt hear any thing brake or any type of noise... i finaly came to a stop the car is still on i can turn it on and off but i cant go into gear... when its off i can go into gear on all 6 and reverse... i tryed puttin it to 1st when off and i turned on the car and i can drive but only on 1st gear i cant change nothing... the fluids are a lil dirty but it has some in there... i have no idea what it could be... i was guess its the slave or master cylinder
Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well for one you say that is does have fluid correct? And you are looking at the clutch fluid tank not the brake fluid right?

So now look under neath and check for leaks....near the trans driver side bottom, and inside the car up above the clutch pedal.

any leaks?

could be the master, and or the slave. Most commonly it will be the slave. Usually people change both, but you really don't have to waste the $ if it is just the slave.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:47 AM
ProShadows

yes and yes but idk i got it towd to the nissan dealership for a inspection for 50... hopefully it is the slave cylinder... had this happen to my BMW M3 last year but also some times it would have this strong smell of either the belt or the clutch.... cupple said both but idk
Old 06-27-2011, 01:52 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ProShadows
i was cruizin down the street was about to brake and i put it on nuetral
And the car is in neutral for what reason? Learn to drive.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:41 PM
ProShadows

learn to drive? i put it in neutral to brake/make a complete stop? have no idea why your saying that it makes no sence...
Old 06-30-2011, 06:19 AM
RENFRO

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
And the car is in neutral for what reason? Learn to drive.
Because manual no likey to be in t3h gearz while stoppie stopped.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Dr. Venture

Drop gears when breaking, do not put it in neutral!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what if your breaks fail? durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 06-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Dr. Venture

ok i have a 03 350z... i was cruizin down the street sippin on gin and juice was laid back with my mind on my money and my money on my mind about to brake and i put it on nuetral (was in second gear)... then the light turns green i had about 3k RPM, so then i tryed to put it in 3rd but it didnt let me... i tryed all the other gears and nothing, the clutch padel doesnt have alot of presure on how it used to and i didnt hear any thing brake or any type of noise... i finaly came to a stop the car is still on i can turn it on and off but i cant go into gear... when its off i can go into gear on all 6 and reverse... i tryed puttin it to 1st when off and i turned on the car and i can drive but only on 1st gear i cant change nothing... the fluids are a lil dirty but it has some in there... i have no idea what it could be... i was guess its the slave or master cylinder
lol
Old 07-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
Drop gears when breaking, do not put it in neutral!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what if your breaks fail? durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
The chances of an unexpected brake failure on the street are pretty high. About the same odds as me getting a unicorn for Christmas

In all seriousness, I usually downshift when coming to a stop, but that's just an excuse to practice my rev matching and/or hell-toe. Leaving the car in neutral will save wear on the clutch and transmission, but increase brake wear. $40 a pair for brake pads is better than a new clutch!
Old 07-01-2011, 05:57 PM
ProShadows

Originally Posted by VividRacing
The chances of an unexpected brake failure on the street are pretty high. About the same odds as me getting a unicorn for Christmas

In all seriousness, I usually downshift when coming to a stop, but that's just an excuse to practice my rev matching and/or hell-toe. Leaving the car in neutral will save wear on the clutch and transmission, but increase brake wear. $40 a pair for brake pads is better than a new clutch!
nicely said...
Old 07-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Dr. Venture

go through life believing dropping it into neutral above 25 mph is the correct way to drive. If you do not downshift what was the point in buying a stick shift to begin with? If you drive normal you do not have to "rev match" anyway.
You brake and slowly drop gears accordingly to the rpm range. I am not saying do 80 and start dropping gears to have your head hit the front window. But i did not think i needed to explain that.

what do you feed the unicorn btw?

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 07-02-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:59 AM
ProShadows

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
go through life believing dropping it into neutral above 25 mph is the correct way to drive. If you do not downshift what was the point in buying a stick shift to begin with? If you drive normal you do not have to "rev match" anyway.
You brake and slowly drop gears accordingly to the rpm range. I am not saying do 80 and start dropping gears to have your head hit the front window. But i did not think i needed to explain that.

what do you feed the unicorn btw?
haha just reread from what vivid said.... but hey i was just asking a question and seeing if ppl can help me out... turns out the flywheel and clutch gave out, no type of leaks or any thing like that so thats good
Old 07-02-2011, 10:31 AM
shift_love

ok i have a 03 350z... i was cruizin down the street SMOKING ENDO sippin on gin and juice was laid back i got my mind on my money and my money on my mind was about to brake and i put it on nuetral (was in second gear)... then the light turns green i had about 3k RPM, so then i tryed to put it in 3rd but it didnt let me... i tryed all the other gears and nothing, the clutch padel doesnt have alot of presure on how it used to and i didnt hear any thing brake or any type of noise... i finaly came to a stop the car is still on i can turn it on and off but i cant go into gear... when its off i can go into gear on all 6 and reverse... i tryed puttin it to 1st when off and i turned on the car and i can drive but only on 1st gear i cant change nothing... the fluids are a lil dirty but it has some in there... i have no idea what it could be... i was guess its the slave or master cylinder
fixed but still good one dr. venture

Last edited by shift_love; 07-02-2011 at 10:32 AM.