Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Who else was forced to buy an impact wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Rev_Night

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Who else was forced to buy an impact wrench?

I just installed the front sway bars by hotchkis, and christ, those bolts that held the bracket on would not give. I had my ratchet and my breaker bar and I huffed and puffed and was barely able to get the 2 my new impact wrench couldnt get an angle at.

Who else was force to go buy an impact wrench for their car? I must say, $100 for the cordless, $50 more for the impact sockets (dont use 1/4" that you already have!!!), and those bolts did come off licky quick. Now I can make believe im in a pit crew for my tires.

On a side note, i put the front at hole 3 (80%) and the backs at hole 2 (80%). and WOW, i can feel the difference when i pull a hard turn.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:15 PM
shakuya88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already had one. It's essential to working on cars!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Rev_Night

it is! I dont like that i had to spend $150 after barely starting the install, but it would be good to have.

Also, i reinstalled the huge plastic cover only to see that the two side plastic gaurds were off. At that point I said the hell with it, im not going to use those. Does anybody else do this?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:27 PM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shakuya88
I already had one. It's essential to working on cars!
However you should be able to get those nuts off with a breaker bar and some WD40 as that was the way I was able to get them off, if you still were having issues with getting them off with the breaker bar grab a pipe to slip over the breaker bar to give you more length.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:51 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Great tool.

Many members do not understand how an impact tool works. High torque - impact last a millisecond - moves the nut a fraction of a millimetre. Repeat 60 times/second.

You can achieve the same torque with a breaker bar. Difference being that the bar applies torque slowly, and may round the nut.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:53 PM
shakuya88

Originally Posted by davidv
Great tool.

Many members do not understand how an impact tool works. High torque - impact last a millisecond - moves the nut a fraction of a millimetre. Repeat 60 times/second.

You can achieve the same torque with a breaker bar. Difference being that the bar applies torque slowly, and may round the nut.
or not release rust and snap the bolt!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Rev_Night

I used liquid wrench, not sure if that helped or not. still, it made the bolts look cleaner tho
Old 08-14-2011, 08:40 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by Rev_Night
On a side note, i put the front at hole 3 (80%) and the backs at hole 2 (80%). and WOW, i can feel the difference when i pull a hard turn.
Handles no better than stock, actually worse since the stiffer bars will not let you have as much camber gain as you had with stock bars. You also still have the same amount of understeer that you had before. Go to a softer front bar setting , let the tire grab more and reduce understeer.

The stiffer the bar, the more traction you remove from that wheel and the more camber you will need.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:21 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

An impact wrench is the perfect way to break a stuck-on bolt. You do better with a penetrating lube and slow steady force from a breaker bar.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:24 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Handles no better than stock, actually worse since the stiffer bars will not let you have as much camber gain as you had with stock bars. You also still have the same amount of understeer that you had before. Go to a softer front bar setting , let the tire grab more and reduce understeer.

The stiffer the bar, the more traction you remove from that wheel and the more camber you will need.
This. I just replaced my front end links and changed the setting to medium from stiff - car turns in so much better now.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:29 AM
Junkster

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

PB Blaster is your friend!

But on a serious note, my 15 gallon air compressor and pnuematic impact gun were one of the first tools that i ever bought! Its really more of a necessity than anything else...
Old 08-15-2011, 07:24 AM
Rev_Night

so stiff up front, medium in rear? I ve heard people on this forum say that 80/80 was the way to go for the hotchkis and that they too felt alot better. Now you say that it handles no differently and its all in their heads?

/confused
Old 08-15-2011, 07:56 AM
drivessidewayz

You'd be surprised what can be in some people's heads o.O I wouldn't doubt terrasmak's knowledge on the subject though. Think about everything people do to their cars and claim gains, yet can't show any.

I adjusted mine to be medium rear and 1 from full soft up front. Gave me a bit more oversteer, which I am thoroughly enjoying. Though now I realize my rear tires are crap...
Old 08-15-2011, 08:05 AM
Jackson0927

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can't say i've ever used a electric impact gun? or thought they worth any good.

Im hoping to go air this winter. just gotta pick a tank & stop spending on the car.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:12 AM
03BrickZ

Best 2 investments i have made, my 33 gallon compressor tank and my campbell hausfell impact gun.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
An impact wrench is the perfect way to break a stuck-on bolt. You do better with a penetrating lube and slow steady force from a breaker bar.
I always use power tools as an absolute last resort OR if I know the bolts not too rusty. All my friends make fun of me because jobs take me longer than them... But I've never broken a bolt, never cross threaded a bolt, and only rounded less than a handful. Meanwhile, they've all had bolts snap/cross thread/etc.

Originally Posted by Rev_Night
so stiff up front, medium in rear? I ve heard people on this forum say that 80/80 was the way to go for the hotchkis and that they too felt alot better. Now you say that it handles no differently and its all in their heads?

/confused
Set the front a bit softer. When the rear is stiffer than the front, the car will generally tend to oversteer.

Originally Posted by drivessidewayz
You'd be surprised what can be in some people's heads o.O I wouldn't doubt terrasmak's knowledge on the subject though. Think about everything people do to their cars and claim gains, yet can't show any.

I adjusted mine to be medium rear and 1 from full soft up front. Gave me a bit more oversteer, which I am thoroughly enjoying. Though now I realize my rear tires are crap...
Enjoying oversteer is probably why your tires are crap!!

Originally Posted by Jackson0927
can't say i've ever used a electric impact gun? or thought they worth any good.

Im hoping to go air this winter. just gotta pick a tank & stop spending on the car.
I've used electric impacts with pretty good success. Air is more powrful, but electrics are way more portable.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:59 AM
R350Zz33

sounds like you need a gym membership ive never needed power tools for anything and i have intake exhaust hfc and swaybars just start early soak everything in pb blaster way before you start and just do work no breaker bar needed exept for top bolts on the cat
Old 08-15-2011, 09:09 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I was never "forced" to buy an impact wrench. I bought an air compressor and various air tools several years ago. I consider them to be very important tools in my garage and hope I never have to do without them.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:11 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Battery powered impact is the greatest thing in the world for removing wheels. When I used to autocross regularly and did more track days, I was swapping wheels practically every weekend. It's gets old doing all that by hand.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Originally Posted by R350Zz33
sounds like you need a gym membership ive never needed power tools for anything and i have intake exhaust hfc and swaybars just start early soak everything in pb blaster way before you start and just do work no breaker bar needed exept for top bolts on the cat
I've translated this post for everyones benefit:

Originally Posted by R350Zz33
It sounds like you need a gym membership. I've never needed power tools for anything, and I have intake, exhaust, hfc, and swaybars. Just start early, soak everything in PB Blaster way before you start and just do work. No breaker bar needed except for top bolts on the cat.

Quick Reply: Who else was forced to buy an impact wrench?