Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

battery question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:35 PM
sssmasss

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default battery question

Hello all,

my OEM battery finally went out on me. I want to replace it but i dont know which brand to replace it with? i heard about red top optima group 35 and yellow top optima d35. those are good if i run aftermarket stereo.

i have stock stereo and everything else are stock too.

well i have st800 system installed.

i was gonna get walmart battery maxx 35s for 88 dollars with 550 cca. i know our cars require 490 cca. i am good right there. red optima is 770 cca but i dont run anything extra??
Old 10-03-2011, 02:40 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen some posts here about Duralast batteries being pretty good, but I don't have any experience with them.

I know some people who have had failures with Optima batteries after a year or so, but others have had good service with them.

I've had batteries from Battery Source in my Silverado and Accord for over four years now with no problems.

Last edited by winchman; 10-03-2011 at 02:41 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:08 AM
sssmasss

Originally Posted by winchman
I've seen some posts here about Duralast batteries being pretty good, but I don't have any experience with them.

I know some people who have had failures with Optima batteries after a year or so, but others have had good service with them.

I've had batteries from Battery Source in my Silverado and Accord for over four years now with no problems.

Hm yes. i also heard duralast is very durable too. i was thinking of getting it but i like more input to see what people use. thank you bro.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Junkster

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Ive gone through 5-6 red top optimas throughout the past 11 years or so. They are great batteries IF YOU USE THEM.

If you never drive your car i HIGHLY advise getting a trickle charger to keep the battery in good condition...once you run them dead more than once or maybe twice they are usually toast...at least thats my own personal experience...

Specially since the Z has a covered battery area it doesnt really matter for the looks of the battery (i like the bawler status of the optima ) so i would just advise on getting a normal duralast or Orielly's brand (running that now). Seem to be working great for me atm...
Old 10-03-2011, 11:10 AM
SPM350Z

Received 163 Likes on 97 Posts

I just spent a year and a half wasting my time with the yellow top Optima. Bought the first one to replace my stock battery...put it in and then because of the weather didn't drive it for 2 weeks...got in and it was totally dead. Brought it back to Autozone...they charged it back up but it was the same thing...if I didn't drive it for 3 or more days the juice just went down. Ended up replacing it with a brand new one and the same exact thing happened. I even bought a charger and charged back up to "full"...didn't work...after a few days would just barely start. Said screw this last month and bought a Duralast gold...it's been awesome and is working great. $100 bucks cheaper and way more reliable so far. I have Durlast Gold in 2 other cars...one for 5 years and one for 3 and both are running strong. Stay away from the Optimas...I found out after I bought it that lots of people have had trouble with them. Seems like they are all hype and that you definitely do not get what you pay for.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:49 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the Optima batteries were originally pretty good, but the company got bought by another outfit. They kept the name and style, but changed the internal construction. I think we're seeing how that's working out for them.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:30 AM
sssmasss

i see what you guys are saying now. optima is not living up to its name anymore. I see. well i will just get duralast. thank you.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:29 PM
sssmasss

alright. i just bought the duralast gold at autozone. to my suprise the battery is very good. when i start the car it fired strong! you can feel the power if you know what i am talking about. my OEM battery didnt fired my car the way this duralast battery did. perhaps because my was dying. Anyways, thank you for helping guys. i almost got the optima!!!! it would have been a bad choice.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:30 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I've got Walmart batteries in 5 cars currently, and never had an issue. Been buying them for at least 15 years. 3-year free replacement, then pro-rated exchange for the rest of the warranty period, too. The one I just bought in June for my wife's Acura TL-S was around $90, after 3 oem batteries failed in the space of one year.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:55 AM
sssmasss

Originally Posted by dcains
I've got Walmart batteries in 5 cars currently, and never had an issue. Been buying them for at least 15 years. 3-year free replacement, then pro-rated exchange for the rest of the warranty period, too. The one I just bought in June for my wife's Acura TL-S was around $90, after 3 oem batteries failed in the space of one year.
OEM batteries failed within 1 year? damn that is bad. my died on my after 5-6 years?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:05 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

The first Acura oem battery was almost 2 years old when it failed, and then the 2 replacements went much quicker. For all I know, they may not have even been new. I finally got tired of going to the dealer, even though the replacements were free. Funny thing is the oem Acura batteries have a 100-month warranty.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:07 PM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I am still on oem 2003 battery and for the past 3 years, mine has seen some 40 below in winters. Something like 89,000 km, I think. If/when it dies, I'll likely get a Costco battery unless the oem is near the same price. (Unlikely)
Old 10-05-2011, 01:42 PM
sssmasss

Originally Posted by DaveJackson
I am still on oem 2003 battery and for the past 3 years, mine has seen some 40 below in winters. Something like 89,000 km, I think. If/when it dies, I'll likely get a Costco battery unless the oem is near the same price. (Unlikely)
i guess it is all depend on the usage. my OEM went out really short compared to you.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:10 PM
yogipower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by winchman
I think the Optima batteries were originally pretty good, but the company got bought by another outfit. They kept the name and style, but changed the internal construction. I think we're seeing how that's working out for them.
are you sure about this? thanks if its true. i was gonna get a yellowtop but i guess im stick with oem or other brand.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:43 PM
scoobyrex247

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my oem battery lasted for about 5 years and then I replaced it with a kirkland signature costco battery. It was $60.00 new but with a core it exchange it was only $50.00. So far it's been a great battery and I run a 400w amp that I oftentime listen to for a song or two after the car is off.

I recommend costco.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:31 PM
MikeBit

Umm.... I have an optima red top group 35 and this thing is a monster.... works so damn well. Fire ups are quick and strong, holds up with my sound system and recharges quickly. Only problem is that it required me to have an aftermarket negative clamp in order to secure it properly. The OEM clamp doesn't secure it.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Junkster

[youtube]s_8n2Qgguto[/youtube]
Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 PM
tazicon

As an FYI, I run yellow tops in my Jeeps and only have had one fail and that was after over 4 years of service. I run winches etc and I am hard on them. I have run redtops as well with out issues over the years. I will run nothing else as a replacement battery even if the vehicle is stock. Optimas are really a very good battery. Great for vehicles that might roll too! lol
Old 02-16-2012, 01:52 PM
tazicon

Originally Posted by Junkster
[youtube]s_8n2Qgguto[/youtube]

That is frickin funny!
Old 02-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Junkster

Optimas are ok if you actually use your car alot...but like mentioned, if you dont use the car they die and die FAST...kinda lame sauze

Quick Reply: battery question