Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

TROUBLE with engine Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Zhinobi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow TROUBLE with engine Knocking

Hello my fellow Nissan Family,

My name is Thai and lately I run in a little bit of frustration .

I have been up here looking around just learning little by little and decide it was the right time to make my first thread about this issue that everyone have problem with. Yes, it's the engine knocking while standing outside with my ear to the right side next to air intake, could hear a skip or rhythm knock.

For me, I could hear it even inside my car while at idle...especially when temperature warm up. Already changed my first oil with fully synthetic 5w 30 since I got the car from the dealership. Oil psi is at a normal reading mid 35. I have try to research this days and nights but keep getting mix answers.

So now today I want to know the real deal if it is normal like other Nissan dealer mechanic said so. there are many cause to why this could happen either from the valves, piston slap, or fuel damper coming from other 350z owners' assumptions.

But my point here today is to ask for one and all to please help us all on how to stop this engine knocking for good. I do not want to fix or take apart the engine to fix something that could still cause it. I would love to hear your words/thoughts and share your issue on it so we all could get more idea about it.

p.s- when I rev the engine or driving normal, no knocking sound but only when I'm at idle or stopping at red lights.

Sorry if it's long to read but please bare with me and help not just me but for everyone who own 350z with the same knocking issue.

Thank you very much in advance.

This is a clip I found that sound the same when I'm inside the car
http://youtu.be/ODDsTDpTqeI
I saw some outside clips but none were like mine because it was too loud and knocking fast. My knock is not vicious as of now but more quiet knock.
-Thai
Old 10-07-2011, 07:49 PM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it does not sound good man
Old 10-07-2011, 08:47 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The loud knocking in that video sounds more like suspension parts knocking, or maybe the exhaust system hitting something under the car.

In the background I think can hear what sounds like the usual dual-mass flywheel/clutch chatter you have on MT cars.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:50 AM
ericjackson

yeah doesnt sound like engine knock to me. would be more uniformed. anything after market? suspension, exhaust?
Old 10-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Zhinobi

It's a MT but that video you see is not my car. Also my car is all stock. Only have k&n intake.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:20 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why did you post this video if this is not your car, are we sposed to make some gueSSes, or sumptin'?
Old 10-08-2011, 05:31 PM
aderossett9

Default vid

Originally Posted by 350ZTheStandard
Why did you post this video if this is not your car, are we sposed to make some gueSSes, or sumptin'?

we cant help you if we cant hear the problem... its like the AAMCO commercaials were they try to make the noises there car is making and its something simple lol

post a vid bro im curious too