Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

anyone else snap a stock camshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:51 AM
07_350z_JP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone else snap a stock camshaft?

Complete history of my car below but just wondering how true it is that stock cams are snapping as the mileage rises on these HRs. Luckily Ive got a brand new long block put in but since my warranty is about to expire at 85?K miles Im skeptical to keep the car.

Originally Posted by 07_350z_JP
07 -purchase 5/07----27K as of 10/31/08

Slave Cylinder Recall at -------------18k

Semi truck sound noise in 1st finally acknowledged as faulty tranny since new
replaced under waranty-----------------20K

Faulty TPSM--- Replaced --------------24K

Im getting the fuel light on and tank only takes 14gal to fillup as well--Ill take it in next week----started at 25k

Hatch shocks seem really weak-- after popping open I used to lift maybe 2-3 inches and then it opended by itself all the way ---- I have to lift it about 3/4 of the way otherwise it wont go beyond 1/2 open.----started at 20k---progressivley worse

Adding to my list - 32.5K Now 4/20/09

--Water puddles under passenger seat anytime it rains.Im talking 2 inches!At dealer for 3 days now they cant find the source.I never noticed it before because the car was always garaged but I kicked the car out to work on my FI e30s in garage.
**Update Windshield seals will be replaced- they were fried/brittle at all 4 corners. Under warranty**

--Rear shock mount/shock rattles over speed bumps/road bumps.**UPDATE:Will be replaced shock and mount under warranty**

--Dash Rattle behind cubby -**Update:No solution -problem not replicated at dealer**

--Hatch shocks really really weak.See above..**UPDATE:Will be replaced both shocks under warranty**

Car is at dealer for 3 days now. So Ill post what they find-replace

Update for 05/01/10---50k miles

---driverside window died out of the blue. Replaced under warranty
---front winshield seals all redone under warranty
---hatch shocks replaced AGAIN 3rd set now
---interior door pulls so scratched up its not funny--- not covered

Update for 01/03/11--- 59K miles

--- power steering rack dumped fluid everywhere--- warranty fix
--- PS fluid leaked onto cat and messed it up. --- warranty fix
--- because of said PS issues -- alignment was WAY off and ate up the insdie of my front tires! WTF--- my $$ to fix this. Nissan FTL

Update for 9/1/11 --- 67K miles

--- clutch slave cylinder, master cylinder , and related lines replaced again!!!
--- pedal just died out of the blue and would not come up even after sitting over night----

Update for 11/17/11-----70112 miles------ Pop goes the weasel!

So cam gears decided to shear off or something ..... sounds like a nasty WRX. Zed is dead running on 1 bank.

And I really did baby this car because it didnt feel as solid as the 20+ bmws Ive owned in my lifetime...... dealer is tearing her down and will update once resolved................

---- EDIT 11/21/11 ---- I may stick around Nissan after all . Im getting a NEW LONG BLOCK ---- no cost to me nice! Great recovery Nissan. 0 mile motor and 70k mile chasis.

------EDIT 11/29/11 ---- new long block is in. They still havnt been able to get the car to run right. They think something went wrong with the stock ecu that setoff the chain reaction with the original engine..... aside from the faulty cam design.Apparently this is happening more and more with high mileage units........ new ecu on the way.

BTW --- do I get to start off the countdown again at 0 engine mileage or 70k chasis mileage lol.......

Last edited by 07_350z_JP; 11-29-2011 at 08:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
David2all (04-03-2023)
Old 11-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If you said you were getting two inches of rain in your interior on the passenger's side I wouldn't be surprised if your ECU took a dump prematurely. That much moisture in around the ECU can't be a good thing for its longevity. However,I have heard of snapped camshafts on an HR somewhere on this forum before.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:01 PM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
If you said you were getting two inches of rain in your interior on the passenger's side I wouldn't be surprised if your ECU took a dump prematurely. That much moisture in around the ECU can't be a good thing for its longevity. However,I have heard of snapped camshafts on an HR somewhere on this forum before.
Didn't someone upgrade springs and thought that was the reason? I think it has happened twice if that is what you are talking about. I could be wrong, but the thread(s) got locked at some point.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:07 PM
albinobob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you got one that was built on a friday. I beat the ever living crap out of my car and the only issuses I've had is the normal wear and tear items. Best of luck with the new block.