Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Airbag light keeps flashing, LOWERED FOLKS

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 06:12 PM
SoldzMyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag light keeps flashing, LOWERED FOLKS

Ok I've had this issue for a few years on and off. Each time it starts to flash, I would reset it and it go away for a year. In the past 6 months, its gotten to the point that resetting it is pointless since it keeps going off pretty much after I drive it, whereas before it used to go away for a while.

I noticed it became bad coincidentally when I lowered my car. I've raised it a bit, but it still persists. Next to returning my car to the stock height, anyone know what I should do to fix this?

I'm looking to sell me car next year so I'm trying to solve little issues so I can give the car to a new home.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:26 PM
1sikz31

Lowering your car has nothing to do with the air bag light...
I'm a nissan technician...

The air bag light may be many things...
30% of the time its from someone disconnecting an air bag component and thus causing the air bag light to illuminate... (Such as disconnecting a seat..)

40% of the time its from a bad seat belt assembly...

the other 30% of the time its from another air bag component is messed up such as an air bag...

All SEAT BELT components are covered for the lifetime of the car, replaced for 100% free...

Thats my knowledge from what I have seen the past 3 years at Nissan.
Take it to the dealer. Good luck.

Only thing that sucks is that you may be charged "1 hour" of diagnosis IF the air bag light is NOT from the seat belts malfunctioning.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:44 PM
dfresh713
Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

^This is some great information. I just had my car brought over and diagnosed for the airbag. It was the passenger side seat airbag causing the flashing for whatever reason. Next time the airbag light goes off hopefully Nissan will warranty this issue.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:52 PM
SoldzMyZ

Originally Posted by 1sikz31
Lowering your car has nothing to do with the air bag light...
I'm a nissan technician...

The air bag light may be many things...
30% of the time its from someone disconnecting an air bag component and thus causing the air bag light to illuminate... (Such as disconnecting a seat..)

40% of the time its from a bad seat belt assembly...

the other 30% of the time its from another air bag component is messed up such as an air bag...

All SEAT BELT components are covered for the lifetime of the car, replaced for 100% free...

Thats my knowledge from what I have seen the past 3 years at Nissan.
Take it to the dealer. Good luck.

Only thing that sucks is that you may be charged "1 hour" of diagnosis IF the air bag light is NOT from the seat belts malfunctioning.
OH WOW didn't know that. Thanks!! So you recommended just going to Nissan. Normally im a DIYer type of guy.

Ok I haven't disconnected my seat in at least 3 years.

When you say seat belt components, does that include airbags?

You know I noticed the light would go off when something is placed on the passenger's side seat. Hmmmm

Last edited by SoldzMyZ; 12-25-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:36 PM
miLes.

is this warranty only valid if u bought the vehicle from the dealership?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:41 AM
Bober'z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The passenger seat has a sensor, it detects if some one (or an object is in the seat) turning the passenger air bag on. If there is no one in the passenger seat (or no object) the passenger air bag will not go of in an accident. Now on the seat belts i know that some cars feature that if the seat belt is fastened, it over rides the sensor in the seat, but im not sure if the z comes with that. You probably have a sensor that went bad wheresoever in your seat belt assembly. Just my .02
Old 12-29-2011, 04:28 PM
SoldzMyZ

Originally Posted by Bober'z
The passenger seat has a sensor, it detects if some one (or an object is in the seat) turning the passenger air bag on. If there is no one in the passenger seat (or no object) the passenger air bag will not go of in an accident. Now on the seat belts i know that some cars feature that if the seat belt is fastened, it over rides the sensor in the seat, but im not sure if the z comes with that. You probably have a sensor that went bad wheresoever in your seat belt assembly. Just my .02
Hopefully its covered by the safety system warranty like the other poster stated.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:06 PM
LitoTofu

wait, does Nissan warranty for all years? Including 2006 ? Because mine just went on line last week, havent had a chance to bring it back to the dealer.