Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

weak start up, stalls, weird gas guage - whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 AM
scmtkings4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weak start up, stalls, weird gas guage - whats wrong?

Hey guys,

I have a 2004 350z an automatic transmission.

i've had this care for about 5 years now, but starting about 2 years ago, my car started acting funny.

sometimes my car will not turn on. the car is turning but its just not igniting. sometimes when the car does start, its very weak, like its struggling to get the RPMs up.

Aside from the start up problems, my gas guage is very strange. It fluctuates way too much. One day I'll have half a tank left, the next day it will show 1/4 tank, and then come back up a little the next day. Keep in mind that I dont drive very much.

I also belive that my fuel economy has suffered greatly in the last year and I dont drive any differently.

I have a friend who suggested Techron, and said it might clear up these problems. Any thoughts?

summary-

1) 2004 AT Z. owned for 5 years
2) sometimes the car will not start. other times when it does start, its very weak.
3) gas guage fluctuates way too much. fuel economy has also suffered alot
4) should i use techron like my friend suggested?

Many thanks!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:38 AM
JERZ350

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Possibly a bad fuel pressure regulator? Seems like the symptoms.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Kcee91

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your battery to make sure it's getting the right voltage, it should be above the 12 amp range, if that's not the case check your spark plugs and if they look burnt out, change them. I would check the coil packs next and anything with the ignition system.

When I was back on the east coast, I would only use 93 octane BP, but since I'm not in the west coast, I fill up only on Chevron 91 octane. Gas is gas, but what makes each different as stated before is the additives. For the fluctuation, it could be a faulty needle in the cluster or something internal like the sensor.

Here is a huge thread on possible issues over the years. This should help: https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...questions.html

Last edited by Kcee91; 01-12-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:50 AM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

try to call nissan and give them your vin number. Their are issues with the ecu becoming corrupted over time in certain cars. I had the same issues with my z and I ended up bringing it into Nissan. The funny thing is their no tsp bulletin for the cars with corrupted ecu's, according to nissan it is a software problem within the ecu.

My car started out with a rough idle then it started to stall and then eventually it stopped starting but would try to crank. Once Nissan updated the software I never had the problem again. Don't allow them to charge you either if this is a problem with your car because they will try to. Call the main office and talk to them, it worked for me. One more thing, you might have to bring it in because calling to give them you vin might not get you anywhere. They didn't even have my vin on file because after your car is paid off or a certain age they don't keep the vin in the computer they say. You might just have to bring it in. If they say it is an ecu problem you know what is going on.

Last edited by marques1; 01-12-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:25 PM
scmtkings4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm thanks for the responses guys.

yeah i should probably look at the spark plug too. My car has about 48k miles on it now and I havent checked it

Also, how long before you should clean/re-oil your air filter?