Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Dip stick blues...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005 | 07:19 PM
jackwhale

I've always assumed that the oil level is correct immediately after I change the oil--filter, washer and 5 quarts. The problem is 2000 miles down the road. I can't check the oil when I gas up at the station...I have waited a half hour and still can't read the dipstick.

Have to park on a level surface and check in the morning before I start the car. The problem is my driveway is not level and I forget to check before driving off.

I'm glad to hear that the Z isn't the only car with this problem but its still a BIG problem. Japan is a country full of great engineers and the problem of the dipstick still eludes them.
Old 06-10-2005 | 12:39 PM
Machupo

getting the dipstick back in is easy... but I had to take off my popcharger to make it easy, doh!

there is already a frame bracket there, it probably wouldn't take much to make a taller bracket that would come all the way to the top of the engine, then just replace the OEM part...

EDIT: at least that would guide you to the hole better... though a complete tube all the way to the top would make it idiotproof... probably require tapping the dipstick hole and threading a tube on there... not to mention an aftermarket dipstick that is actually straight... (comes with free +5hp dipstick sticker, lol)
Old 07-24-2005 | 06:27 PM
jgray

Question This became a real issue for me too.

While on a ride today I noticed the oil light flicker on. I immediately checked the oil preassure gauge and it was hovering around 0-15psi. It's time for an oil change anyway, but why the heck am I completely out of oil? I mean completely out - not just low. It has been 3 months and about 3200 miles since my last change, so I'm confused about how this happened. My car is not quite a year old and there are no signs of oil leaks in my garage... Any thoughts? Am I burning it while driving?

This thread caught my attention because I'm trying to fill my car with enough oil to get to the dealer tomorrow. It's difficult telling how much I need to add (5 quarts?) with the silly dip-stick. I empathize with all Z owners for this design flaw.

Joel