Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Bad Timing Chain plus possibly more

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 06:43 AM
Breta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Timing Chain plus possibly more

Hello, I am new to this forum. Decided to join as with all of my web research on this topic, it is obvious I need help deciding what to do about my 2004 Z. There are no local shops I really trust and the local dealers have not been forthcoming with real solutions.
I have a bad timing chain and the engine is burning oil, so I either need a rebuild or a replacement. The car is paid for and I have taken meticulous care of it, but this happened anyway (96,000 miles). It still looks great!
I have considered getting the stage 1 long block from Import Parts Pro, but they don't do the engine swap outs. I can't afford to go crazy with mods and would like to just have a good engine and be able to trust someone with the swap for reasonable cost.
Can anyone recommend a full service shop that I can ship my car to in the central U.S. or give any advice? Thanks.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:57 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,297 Likes on 898 Posts

The first bit of advice I'd offer is to recheck your diagnosis. Nissan timing chains do not "go bad" unless they've been badly abused. If you've done meticulous maintenance, including regular oil changes, it's unlikely this is the problem. Have you done a leakdown test? That should give you a better idea of your VQ's health.

In your area, I'd recommend you take a road trip and take your ZR to Z1 Motorsports.

Last edited by dkmura; 03-09-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:01 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome.

You hid a motor subject in the roadster forum. Roadster or coupe a motor is a motor. Check your regional forum here. I am sure regional members can help you find a rebuilt motor.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:10 AM
juelz86z3303

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Breta
Hello, I am new to this forum. Decided to join as with all of my web research on this topic, it is obvious I need help deciding what to do about my 2004 Z. There are no local shops I really trust and the local dealers have not been forthcoming with real solutions.
I have a bad timing chain and the engine is burning oil, so I either need a rebuild or a replacement. The car is paid for and I have taken meticulous care of it, but this happened anyway (96,000 miles). It still looks great!
I have considered getting the stage 1 long block from Import Parts Pro, but they don't do the engine swap outs. I can't afford to go crazy with mods and would like to just have a good engine and be able to trust someone with the swap for reasonable cost.
Can anyone recommend a full service shop that I can ship my car to in the central U.S. or give any advice? Thanks.
okay do what i did z1 motorsports stage 2 rebuild kit. cant loose plus if u wanna save money get it... turbo or na pistons of ur choice from wiseco all forged wit rods. . now im working on my valve train...
Old 03-19-2012, 11:35 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

11 days and no reply. This is the new my350Z.com norm. Dead end gonnaget threads. Please help with no followup. 17 year olds planning to slap on a turbo without a dime to their name.