Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

engine tick/knock

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:32 PM
1320king

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine tick/knock

so my car has been sitting for the last 2 weeks i decided to take it for a drive today and when i pulled back into the garage i noticed a ticking coming from the engine

the car has 92xxx miles on it and is an 06 has never had an issue
i havent noticed any power loss and it doesnt make the noise over 800 rpm
oil is right on the dot and i check it every time i drive the car
it almost sounds like a stuck lifter but it isnt noticeable over 800rpms
ive gone through almost every thread relating to my issue, there are too many possibilities i dont know where to start

any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Itzcashew

It could be because the oil has not circulate for while, I'd suggest driving it again and see if the noise come back.

If anything change it with fresh oil.

Also take a video next time you take her out. It will help us pinpoint the exact noise.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:56 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

i had a small noise like that.. was simply annoying, then we thought maybe it was a misfire from oil in the plug tubes.. then i threw a rod bearing.

VQ is known for oil starvation.

Change oil, check back, make video etc.
id get it to a shop that can put it on a lift.. as it will be very apparent then if its top end related or bottom end related.

Could be a 50 dollar oil change fix, could be a blown engine in the near future fix.. cant tell yet.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Josh|Swag

I have an 03 with around 90k miles. At about 85k miles, the same thing started happening with my engine. I was about 1k overdue for an oil change so I immediately changed my oil. The proceeded to continue, so I took it to a dealership to have some diagnostics done. Upon receiving the results, they said that nothing was wrong with my engine/oil, etc.
However, the mechanic did say that nissan issued a bulletin this year saying that a manufacturing problem with the fuel rail valve could cause a slightly noticeable ticking/knocking noise.
The only problem he said, is that fixing the problem would be $220-275 and isn't covered on any kind of warranty, and there's a possibility it wouldn't solve the problem.

With that being said, I just decided to let it slide until I can't deal with it anymore. This could be your problem, just a little insight!
good luck!
Old 04-24-2012, 04:56 PM
i.rashid

my brother has a 03 g35 and his car started ticking a few months ago. Its definitely coming from the top end and the noise increases with rpm.

No power loss, no smoke, oil was changed on time and was good before changing. Sounds like a bad lifter in the valvetrain but how do you know which one it is?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:52 AM
1320king

i got under the car with an automotive stethiscope and the noise seems to be coming from the top end under the intake from the drivers front portion of the engine, im leaing more towards a stuck lifter, i made an appointment with my mechanic, were going to pull the valve covers and check clearances
Old 04-25-2012, 12:31 PM
will350z

i have an 03 and it's been ticking more or less from day one (since I got it in Mar of 03)...

Definitely interested in what you might find out.

Josh|Swag, I've been told the same thing over and over again, if you can live with it, then that's it... I thought it might have been the fuel damper issue that the Murano's were having, but that didn't fix it either after I had it replaced.

Also, this thread might help:

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...ticking-2.html

Does your ticking sound like this (Mine does):

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=IMG_0031.mp4

Last edited by will350z; 04-25-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:35 PM
350ZZJoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by will350z

My 06 sounds exactly like that. Has sounded like that for the last 10k roughly. Gotten a bit louder. I hate it but don't feel like chasing a problem that nobody knows a definite answer too.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Josh|Swag

Mine sounds just like the video link as well. I wish fixing the fuel valve issue would have solved the problem, but I appreciate you clearing it up that it won't. Saves me the trouble of spending a couple hundred bucks spent on gaining nothing.
Yeah, OP if you find anything out, let us know! I'm extremely curious as well.
Good luck

i have an 03 and it's been ticking more or less from day one (since I got it in Mar of 03)...

Josh|Swag, I've been told the same thing over and over again, if you can live with it, then that's it... I thought it might have been the fuel damper issue that the Murano's were having, but that didn't fix it either after I had it replaced.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:58 AM
will350z

In the link to the other thread, the ticking noise (in that case) was resolved due to fixing a tensioner pulley (I need to go back and see which one he's talking about), but that was spotted when he took the Z in to get his belts serviced (Maybe the dealerships and shops I've had my Z, have never noticed), but this might be worth looking into...

Link to the pulley fix:

https://my350z.com/forum/9135864-post37.html

Last edited by will350z; 04-26-2012 at 06:03 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:38 AM
1320king

That's exactly what my car sounds like, I'm going to replace my belts and see if that solves the issue before my appointment, but I'm pretty sure it's a lifter from beating on it at the track
Old 04-26-2012, 10:48 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

I was too lazy to post..but its usually a dying belt making a " lifter" noise ratatat..
Our engine has no "lifters"... good luck ur ur search for that haha.. there's oil shims..
Old 04-26-2012, 11:13 AM
1320king

Originally Posted by bmccann101
I was too lazy to post..but its usually a dying belt making a " lifter" noise ratatat..
Our engine has no "lifters"... good luck ur ur search for that haha.. there's oil shims..
Good to know, I forgot to mention my noise isn't nearly as loud as the guy who posted to the vid
Old 04-26-2012, 04:18 PM
EnSaYnE-Z33

Ive had the same noise since i purchased the car. It doesnt seem to get louder just faster. No performance loss. But really annoying when you wana be smooth talking a girl from the car. -__- here is a vid of my Z noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebiHJ...e_gdata_player

I went to a Z Meet in alhambra,ca and another Z owner said that his buddy had the same noise. His friend then had to go to a shop to check it out. They said it was the timing chain? The re-calibrated the chain and the ticking went away. I don't know if this can be a true story or not. But seemed to be honest. Has anyone ever found a solution? Let me know what I may be . I want this problem fixed
Old 04-26-2012, 04:59 PM
1320king

Originally Posted by EnSaYnE-Z33
Ive had the same noise since i purchased the car. It doesnt seem to get louder just faster. No performance loss. But really annoying when you wana be smooth talking a girl from the car. -__- here is a vid of my Z noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebiHJ...e_gdata_player

I went to a Z Meet in alhambra,ca and another Z owner said that his buddy had the same noise. His friend then had to go to a shop to check it out. They said it was the timing chain? The re-calibrated the chain and the tickingM went away. I don't know if this can be a true story or not. But seemed to be honest. Has anyone ever found a solution? Let me know what I may be . I want this problem fixed
this is what my car sounds like but not as loud and as soon as I rev it up it goes away
Old 04-26-2012, 05:36 PM
EnSaYnE-Z33

It's not that loud, its because of my phone. It enhanced the audio. But i can't hear it when in the cab. With my windows up. Still sucks that you know its there. -__-
Old 04-26-2012, 07:26 PM
1320king

Originally Posted by EnSaYnE-Z33
It's not that loud, its because of my phone. It enhanced the audio. But i can't hear it when in the cab. With my windows up. Still sucks that you know its there. -__-
yea its freaking me out for sure lol
Old 04-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Itzcashew

Our engines uses a plastic guide. They're known to go bad and cause slack in the chain.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:21 AM
350ZZJoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1320king
That's exactly what my car sounds like, I'm going to replace my belts and see if that solves the issue before my appointment, but I'm pretty sure it's a lifter from beating on it at the track
I just replaced my belts last week because they were due anyways.

It did not get rid of my noise at all.

But please let me know what your mechanic says, thanks!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:23 AM
will350z

well perhaps it is a timing chain issue...

What exactly does "re-calibrating" the chain mean? A new chain?

Quick Reply: engine tick/knock