Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Wheel bearing with a lowered vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 01:33 PM
SLOPOS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel bearing with a lowered vehicle

Hey guys, I dropped my Z about five months ago, and I just had to replace the drivers front wheel bearing because of noise. Not three days later, the passenger one is making noise too. Is this common on slammed Zs, or do I just have bad luck? Thanks,

J

(ps. search was inconclusive)
Old 05-07-2012, 01:38 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

lowering usually exacerbates existing issues and wear.. your bearings were likely aging anyways due to mileage, and then you put excess strain on them.. be worried if the same bearing went out after replacing it.. sounds like they just went out near the same time is all..

my rear outers were toast.. replaced them, and they have been good for the last 30k miles.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:36 PM
VMRWheels
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bmccann101
lowering usually exacerbates existing issues and wear.. your bearings were likely aging anyways due to mileage, and then you put excess strain on them.. be worried if the same bearing went out after replacing it.. sounds like they just went out near the same time is all..
+1

OP, sounds like you just hit a stroke of bad luck with them going out within a couple days of each other, but I think it's fairly normal on a lowered car. If the same one went out three days later I'd be concerned.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:54 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Just bad luck, mine has been lowered and beat on for 90k miles, my bearings have 150 k on them and still good.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:46 PM
tbruner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can you tell if this is going bad? What type of noise? My front Passenger wheel area is making a lot of rattling or clunking noises... Seems to be getting worse and worse. I used to not notice it unless on a really bumpy road now I hear everyday... HELP PLEASE!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 02:50 AM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Does it make a grinding noise while driving down a flat / smooth noise? If so bad bearing.

If its rattling / clunking over tough road or bumps only, you could have a torn lower compression arm bushing or dead ball joint.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:59 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tbruner
How can you tell if this is going bad? What type of noise? My front Passenger wheel area is making a lot of rattling or clunking noises... Seems to be getting worse and worse. I used to not notice it unless on a really bumpy road now I hear everyday... HELP PLEASE!!!
Why don't you just keep driving it instead of having it checked. It should work itself out and eventually the wheel will fly off at an opportune moment. Like doing 70 on a crowded freeway.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:02 AM
tbruner

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
Why don't you just keep driving it instead of having it checked. It should work itself out and eventually the wheel will fly off at an opportune moment. Like doing 70 on a crowded freeway.
Honestly your pathetic. What was the point of that, One more post on your count?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:05 AM
tbruner

Originally Posted by ian99rt
Does it make a grinding noise while driving down a flat / smooth noise? If so bad bearing.

If its rattling / clunking over tough road or bumps only, you could have a torn lower compression arm bushing or dead ball joint.
Thank you for a reasonable answer. I will look into the compression arm bushing. I dont think its a ball joint.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

To check a wheel bearing, jack the car up and put it on a jack stand (or use a lift). Grab the tire or wheel at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions, and try to shake it. If the top of the tire moves in/out, you've got an issue and it's likely the wheel bearing.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:13 PM
tbruner

Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
To check a wheel bearing, jack the car up and put it on a jack stand (or use a lift). Grab the tire or wheel at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions, and try to shake it. If the top of the tire moves in/out, you've got an issue and it's likely the wheel bearing.
No slop there. Thanks!