Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Scratches on windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 06:03 PM
heyyouduh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scratches on windshield

My windshield has some scratches on it from something that kicked up on the hwy. They are relatively minor but are in my visual field. I was thinking of using something like 600 grit sandpaper for a wet sand and the finishing up with some rubbing compound but wanted to get some advice before hand. Anyone have experience dealing with windshield scratches?

I tried taking pics but you can't really see them. If mods think this needs to be moved to Repair then please do so. TIA.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:59 PM
-Trav-

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As with paint most times, if you cant feel them with your fingernail it is possible to polish out. Otherwise get it replaced.

Ive been looking into this myself. This problem isnt Z specific...hit up google.

Heres a thread to start you off:

http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/de...dshield-40771/
Old 05-20-2012, 09:07 AM
heyyouduh

Originally Posted by -Trav-
As with paint most times, if you cant feel them with your fingernail it is possible to polish out. Otherwise get it replaced.

Ive been looking into this myself. This problem isnt Z specific...hit up google.

Heres a thread to start you off:

http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/de...dshield-40771/
Thanks, there's good stuff in those links. The scratches are barely palpable with my finger tips but not fingernails. I'll give the sanding/polishing a try since I already have the material needed.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:17 AM
WeightLimit

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Body shops use that method all the time for scratches. As for the 600 grit, I have no idea. Ive never used anything less than 1000 on a window.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:26 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Be careful. Too aggressive and you end up with a cloudy windshield that is worse than when you started. Will a shop such as Safelite polish the windshield?
Old 05-20-2012, 03:31 PM
heyyouduh

Originally Posted by davidv
Be careful. Too aggressive and you end up with a cloudy windshield that is worse than when you started. Will a shop such as Safelite polish the windshield?
I'm sure they can. I have some sandpaper, polishing compound on hand and wanted to see if I can do it myself. From searching some ppl swear against sandpaper on windshield while others said it's worked. I'll probably call up one of those places and get an idea how much it is.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:38 PM
WeightLimit

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Its easy, just turn your buffer down to 1-200k rpm and don't stay in one spot too long. I usually rub at 16-1800 and polish at 12-1400. So you can go faster, but you'll heat up the glass a lot faster. I would repeatedly stop to feel the area to make sure its not getting too warm since this is your first time and stay at a slower rpm even though it will take longer. Also, play it safe and stay away from anything more than 1000 grit. I would lightly scuff with 1000 then followed by 1500 and 2000. Then rubbing/foam pad polish.

Remember that the longer you sand with 1000 the longer it takes to sand out the scratches with 1500. Depending on what compound you use, you should be able to rub/polish out 1500 grit sandpaper, but I always use 2k because it buffs so much easier. I've seen this method several times, although I've never done it myself. I'm smart enough to mask off the windows before I start doing my work, unlike some body/paint techs.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:18 AM
heyyouduh

Originally Posted by WeightLimit
Its easy, just turn your buffer down to 1-200k rpm and don't stay in one spot too long. I usually rub at 16-1800 and polish at 12-1400. So you can go faster, but you'll heat up the glass a lot faster. I would repeatedly stop to feel the area to make sure its not getting too warm since this is your first time and stay at a slower rpm even though it will take longer. Also, play it safe and stay away from anything more than 1000 grit. I would lightly scuff with 1000 then followed by 1500 and 2000. Then rubbing/foam pad polish.

Remember that the longer you sand with 1000 the longer it takes to sand out the scratches with 1500. Depending on what compound you use, you should be able to rub/polish out 1500 grit sandpaper, but I always use 2k because it buffs so much easier. I've seen this method several times, although I've never done it myself. I'm smart enough to mask off the windows before I start doing my work, unlike some body/paint techs.
Thanks!