Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clutch Pedal Not Returning

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 11:58 AM
ZWildZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Duckeee
^I wouldnt be so certain. The matter of a clutch not returning can be mutiple things, and the master on our cars have been known to fail. At 63k miles my clutch fluid was extremely clean. Did that stop the master from failing? There was no sediment in my master when i pulled it off. I replaced it anyway and that fixed my problem.
But the problem you suffered must have not come and gone. Once your pedal started not returning properly, it probably got lower and lower until it wouldn't even disengage the clutch enough to put the car in gear. Right? So, it started as a minor issue and progressively got worse.

When the problem is sporadic, comes and goes, then a leak or failing master cylinder is not a likely cause. My clutch will only come up half way, then I'll side step it a few times in neutral and it'll snap back into place and be fine again.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actually, mine was never fully UNfunctional. it just only returned under hot weather conditions. otherwise, i'd have to manual pull it up from my feet every shift.

the clutch always disengaged irregardless of the pedal not returning.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:43 AM
dkgaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thread revival. Same issue here.

Reviving this thread. I did the master replacement, fluid change (I think I used motul or Castrol RBF) and I'm still having the issue with the pedal dropping down. issue is sporadic and with a few pulls and pushes it comes back up. It usually gets stuck when on traffic or when accelerating from a stop.

Could it be the piston right behind the pedal, bent clutch fork (JWT high pressure plate installed) or the slave cylinder?
Old 04-20-2018, 07:57 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

Originally Posted by dkgaby
Reviving this thread. I did the master replacement, fluid change (I think I used motul or Castrol RBF) and I'm still having the issue with the pedal dropping down. issue is sporadic and with a few pulls and pushes it comes back up. It usually gets stuck when on traffic or when accelerating from a stop.

Could it be the piston right behind the pedal, bent clutch fork (JWT high pressure plate installed) or the slave cylinder?
what year is your car?
Old 04-20-2018, 12:39 PM
dkgaby

Originally Posted by travlee
what year is your car?
2004. Master Cyl has about 5000 miles or less.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:43 PM
Cody O'Neill

Originally Posted by dkgaby
2004. Master Cyl has about 5000 miles or less.
please let me know what you did to fix the problem. I also have a 2004 Z with the problem of my clutch pedal only returning half way (still engages/works) just doesn’t return all the way. If I pull it back with my foot it “pops” back all the way and when pressing it in after that is like it pops half way with no resistance and then engages with resistance

also car has 110k miles and is bone stock

Last edited by Cody O'Neill; 09-27-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:34 AM
niznos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cody O'Neill

please let me know what you did to fix the problem. I also have a 2004 Z with the problem of my clutch pedal only returning half way (still engages/works) just doesn’t return all the way. If I pull it back with my foot it “pops” back all the way and when pressing it in after that is like it pops half way with no resistance and then engages with resistance

also car has 110k miles and is bone stock
I had exactly what you're describing and changed everything: master, slave, hose, pedal assembly (OEM and RJM) and removed the orifice; then was told that is the symptom of a worn disc. You can band-aid the problem with screwing the push rod on the master clockwise until less or no threads are showing but ultimately you are going to have to replace the clutch plate, disk, pilot and bearing to fix it. If you just adjust it out and leave it, you run the risk of wearing the disc all the way down to the rivets and you'll have to replace the flywheel.

Before someone jumps on me to say the FSM specifies the flywheel to be replaced. Many people rough up the surface as long as it is not too bad and they work fine. People don't replace them because they are dual mass and can't be resurfaced; are very pricey from Nissan; and aftermarket flywheels, though cheaper than OEM, are still hundreds of dollars on top of the clutch job.
Old 04-17-2022, 01:23 PM
Zethratik8

Default Clutch pedal not returning

I have a 08 Nissan 350z. We replaced the clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder and master cylinder but my clutch is still sticking all the way to the floor, I have to pull it up with my foot for it to come back up every time. Any ideas or pointers?
Old 04-17-2022, 01:49 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Zethratik8
I have a 08 Nissan 350z. We replaced the clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder and master cylinder but my clutch is still sticking all the way to the floor, I have to pull it up with my foot for it to come back up every time. Any ideas or pointers?
Bleed more