Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Odometer issue: Not showing full mileage/trip meter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Fuelslt1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Odometer issue: Not showing full mileage/trip meter?

My odometer has recently started glitching out by only showing certain areas.

Odometer issue: Not showing full mileage/trip meter?-gbqd5l.jpg

As you can see the (A,B,C) trip meters are missing, the last digit is slightly cut off and the first digit is slightly cut off. The correct mileage is actually 92,283.

Every once in awhile the full face will work for a brief period of time showing the correct mileage and the trip meters or a mixture of the two, this is random and I cannot replicate it.

Any ideas of how to fix this?

Last edited by Fuelslt1; 06-18-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sell car. Tell dealer you got 32k miles. Get more on trade-in.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Fuelslt1

Bumping this to see if anyone has any answers.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Board is going. Find a speedometer repair shop! Had the same thing happen to mine! When I was quoted $300 to fix it, I found a guy on here (gauge craft.com) and had him redo the back-lights and faces. You order what you want, he ships, and you send him yours. Problem solved!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:24 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

How cold was it in the car when this happened? LCDs can get screwy if it's cold enough. Otherwise, it could be a corroded connector to the display or the circuit's fried, in which case, you'll need to get it fixed before you sell the car or you'll have to file all sorts of paperwork that'll lower the value of the vehicle.

Also, sometimes displays go crazy if your voltages are low. Check the battery with a battery tester (i.e., carbon pile load tester) to see if it's still good.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Ak48z

Yessir

Last edited by Ak48z; 11-20-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:46 PM
zakmartin

LOL. I just noticed this originally got posted in June 2012. I doubt it was cold. Even in Colorado.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Fuelslt1

Originally Posted by 122554
Board is going. Find a speedometer repair shop! Had the same thing happen to mine! When I was quoted $300 to fix it, I found a guy on here (gauge craft.com) and had him redo the back-lights and faces. You order what you want, he ships, and you send him yours. Problem solved!
I was thinking it was an issue with the board as well, I can push on the corner and get the full odometer (but not the trip meters) showing still. I'm going to take it apart and see if there is a loose connection that I can fix.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:35 AM
zakmartin

Originally Posted by Fuelslt1
I was thinking it was an issue with the board as well, I can push on the corner and get the full odometer (but not the trip meters) showing still. I'm going to take it apart and see if there is a loose connection that I can fix.
You could have a broken solder weld on the connector. Remove the board from the car and turn it upside-down and carefully melt each connector weld so that the pins re-seat solidly. Check for any cracks in the board and any blackened circuits that may have been cooked.

I had the same thing happen on an automotive scope and it turned out to be the solder weld on a ground connector had disconnected, even though it looked fine. I used high power magnifier to find the bad connection; it took freaking forever.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Fuelslt1

Originally Posted by zakmartin
You could have a broken solder weld on the connector. Remove the board from the car and turn it upside-down and carefully melt each connector weld so that the pins re-seat solidly. Check for any cracks in the board and any blackened circuits that may have been cooked.

I had the same thing happen on an automotive scope and it turned out to be the solder weld on a ground connector had disconnected, even though it looked fine. I used high power magnifier to find the bad connection; it took freaking forever.
I removed the board from the gauge cluster. The problem turned out to be the connectors for the LCD screen had separated themselves from the board. Removed the LCD screen, re-soldered the LCD to board connector. PROBLEM FIXED.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Bdizz777

I removed the board from the gauge cluster. The problem turned out to be the connectors for the LCD screen had separated themselves from the board. Removed the LCD screen, re-soldered the LCD to board connector. PROBLEM FIXED.
Mine recently started doin the exact same thing except i only have 42k on my Z. i can oull or push the corner of the whole gauge cluster and itll appear and then i let off and it goes back to the dule look. How did u get to the circuit board im new to the Z so i dont wanna start ripping stuff apart lol. Thanks
Old 04-22-2014, 07:42 PM
justinamenta

Hello, my name is Justin and I just bought a 2004 350z with 69k on it and the odometer numbers are screwy as well. How do you remove the board from the dash?

J