Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Broken Headlight Adjuster

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 05:26 AM
colaito

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken Headlight Adjuster

Hey guys came across a pretty severe issue when I went to adjust the level of my headlights..I thought this was going to be a simple adjustment, but I spent about 2 hours messing with this. I just upgrade from 04 headlights to 06. Turns out, at about 8 feet from a wall my driver's side light is about 2" too low, and my passenger side is about 10" lower than that! It looks absolutely awful, and I have noticed it since installation. I found the sprocket fairly easy and stuck my #2 Phillips screw driver down there and tried turning it. It felt like I was making it move, but the level of my headlight didnt budge. I then proceeded to take off my bumper and unscrewed the passenger headlight and began turning the sprocket by hand. After a full rotation I put the headlight back and nothing. Then I took it off again and rotated the sprocket a full 2 times in the opposite direction. Still nothing. So I took off the headlight, examined closer, and still could not find anything. Finally, I took off the ballast cover to look inside the headlight, and this is what I found. The metal bracket that the ****/sprocket is attached to was completely cracked in half and disconnected. That is why when I turned the ****, nothing happened. It is as if the bi-xenon light is just hanging there loosely.

Has this happened to anyone before? I havent come across this on this site which is why I am starting a thread. Would it be worth it to try to fix, or should I just buy a new shell and transfer all the guts? Here some pictures to show you where exactly the split is. The exact crack is hard to see, so I have circled it in red.

And this is what my low beams look like now

Old 07-14-2012, 05:27 AM
colaito

Sorry if the pics are a little large. Just wanted to make sure details were visible.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:50 AM
colaito

no one has anything???
Old 07-22-2012, 10:31 AM
colaito

Bump. Not even 1 response?
Old 08-21-2013, 11:15 PM
irvrioa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this thread is old, but I do have a similar issue. I've looked online but there is not that much info out there.

I have 03 Track, with Halogen.
I decided to upgrade and got 6k HID from DiodeDynamics (great btw)
I adjusted the new HID lights to the recommended height in the forums. No issues, lights worked great for 4months.
One day I drove it in the afternoon. later that night, I noticed both my headlight were pointing way too low, to the point were the road was only lit 1ft or less .
I checked the height, 8ft from a wall , and my beams were only at 13in high.(24-26in recommended)
While trying to adjust the pass. side it only went as high as 20in, and would go no further... I decided to turn the other adjuster *, the one located a bit higher and not as deep on the headlight itself... I was able to get 1in more.

Diver side headlight I could only get as high as 17in
I started turning the adjuster more, the one which requires a long screwdriver.
I heard one click noise, and the beam drop to 7in
After that it only went as high as 14in.
I did the same removed bumper/ headlight... and got as far as op did.

Right now I think the only fix is buying a New Headlight.
Maybe someone out there knows of a way to get inside the adjuster and fix the issue??

* The second adjuster I'm talking about I've read somewhere on the forums that it adjusts Vertical light beam (width) ... No one has really confirmed this, but from the adjusting I did to my headlight, it raised it up, and i did not see any vertical movement... just my input.*

I thought this could help anyone else out there