Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Got my wheels Powdercoated, TPMS Sensor Warning Afterwards

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Rev_Night

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Got my wheels Powdercoated, TPMS Sensor Warning Afterwards

Last week, i got my 2007 350z stock V2 Touring rims powdercoated black. I think they are awesome, but the problem now is that the TPS sensor is coming on. The last time this came on, about 2 years ago, my stock tires were getting to be 20,000 miles and i needed new ones because they were perpetually underflated. I checked all 4 tires today (225F, 245R) and they had the rec. pressure of 35, so no reason for that light to be on. I very much believe that the unmount and remount of the tires is the cause of this sensor, maybe the mechanic didnt attach a wire somewhere.

So, is this anything i can fix myself or back to the shop i go? I went to Living Dreams Auto Salon in Chantilly, VA. The place seemed legit and the guys nice. Other then this, im very satisfied with the results
Old 07-24-2012, 06:44 PM
raf84ny

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They could of had damaged the sensor when dismounting/mounting the tires.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Rev_Night

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

right, and how could i prove this? ideally, how can i fix this myself without taking off the tires?
Old 07-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what did u drive on while they were working on the wheels?
possibilities:

1. u drove on wheels for ~100 miles without ur sensors, and now you need a few more miles for the car to redetect them.
2. the shop didnt reinstall your sensors/valve stems
Old 07-24-2012, 07:55 PM
Zesty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If all pressures are ok then the tire tech may have broken the sensor when mounting or dismounting the tire. If so their iis a tpms unit that detects each sensor so you can see which one is busted and which one you'll have to replace. Most tire shops have them. Are you sure they are sensors? Maybe when they powder coated your wheels they replaced it with a regular valve stem. Good luck
Old 07-24-2012, 08:16 PM
stein

I have 65k on my Z and I've replaced every sensor so far but one, they seem to just go out. Which sensor isn't reading? that is the one that is toast.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:42 PM
bender

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rev_Night
I very much believe that the unmount and remount of the tires is the cause of this sensor, maybe the mechanic didnt attach a wire somewhere.
There isn't any wires. The sensor is connected to the valve stem. It either fits, or in the case of some aftermarket wheels, it doesn't.

- Have you checked the pressure from inside the car? If one of the sensors is malfunctioning, you should still get a reading from the other wheels. If that's the case, then one of the sensors may be damaged.

- Can you not get a reading on all four wheels? It's possible that someone forgot you had tpms sensors, left them somewhere in the shop, and installed new stems. Check your valve stems. TPMS stems are all aluminum. If they installed new stems, they'd probably be rubber.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Shop TPMS
Vendor - Former Vendor

How long have the sensors been off the car before you put them back in?

There maybe a couple theories on why your TPMS might not be working:
1. You may have to go through the process of resetting it with a trigger tool or visiting your local tire shop or dealer to reset it.

2. TPMS may not be able to reactivate due to the battery life.

Thanks

-Lawrence