Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

vq35de engine Tick (fixed)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:39 PM
EnSaYnE-Z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vq35de engine Tick (fixed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebiHJCk6m8E&feature=player_embedded

Ok fellas if your Z makes a very similar noise to mine, and sounds like a tick noise coming from passenger side. I can tell you what was wrong with my car. , I took my car to the Nissan dealer and had it diagnosed, they told me it was a Bad lifter, ok. They opened it up and found out that the lifter was already busted and that the exhaust valves wasn't getting enough oil! Resulting in a tick!. Which also busted up the valve rod and giving me a valve leak. It was hitting metal to metal. Luckily my warranty covered and i only had to pay my $100 deductible.+$200 to remove my AEM crank pulley. Charged so much because the now had to remove my whole front end. This was done in order to get into the heads. And aftermarket repairs or disassemply
Is not covered by my warrenty

If you have this problem get it fixed, eventually it will damage more parts and maybe the whole block.

They tore my baby apart. Cleaned the both heads. Added new lifters and valves on the right side only. And new head gaskets on both heads. In the process of them removing my AEM pulley they broke the tensioner pulley. So that was deducted from the service and they installed a brand new one.

Area of the problem was the lifter damage on the 3cylinder exhaust valve. And valve leak.

Finally Silence!.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjsE7A_LOL8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If you are in the Los Angeles Area close to downey. Do to Downey Nissan. (if you have warrenty) and speak to Walt. This dude is the man. He very well negotiated everything with my warrenty company and had them pay. About $600 in parts $2200 in labor.
Peace - Josh out!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:41 PM
EnSaYnE-Z33

Ok fellas if your Z makes a very similar noise to mine, and sounds like a tick noise coming from passenger side. I can tell you what was wrong with my car. , I took my car to the Nissan dealer and had it diagnosed, they told me it was a Bad lifter, ok. They opened it up and found out that the lifter was already busted and that the exhaust valves wasn't getting enough oil! Resulting in a tick!. Which also busted up the valve rod and giving me a valve leak. It was hitting metal to metal. Luckily my warranty covered and i only had to pay my $100 deductible.+$200 to remove my AEM crank pulley. Charged so much because the now had to remove my whole front end. This was done in order to get into the heads. And aftermarket repairs or disassemply
Is not covered by my warrenty

If you have this problem get it fixed, eventually it will damage more parts and maybe the whole block.

They tore my baby apart. Cleaned the both heads. Added new lifters and valves on the right side only. And new head gaskets on both heads. In the process of them removing my AEM pulley they broke the tensioner pulley. So that was deducted from the service and they installed a brand new one.

Area of the problem was the lifter damage on the 3cylinder exhaust valve. And valve leak.

Finally Silence!.

If you are in the Los Angeles Area close to downey. Do to Downey Nissan. (if you have warrenty) and speak to Walt. This dude is the man. He very well negotiated everything with my warrenty company and had them pay. About $600 in parts $2200 in labor.
Peace - Josh out!
Old 07-26-2012, 02:43 PM
350ZZJoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 06 makes a similar noise. Not as bad though.

I do not have a warranty and I will certainly not be paying $3000 to have it fixed considering I can buy a lower mileage engine for about $1500. Or do the work myself for less than $1500. I have had the tick since I got the car 17months ago/11,000miles ago. Hasn't gotten worse so I am leaving it as be for now.

But its nice to know what could maybe be causing it. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2012, 03:05 PM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i assume your engine was consuming oil?
Old 07-26-2012, 03:10 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Great... *Runs outside to check for tick.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:04 PM
EnSaYnE-Z33

Originally Posted by 350ZZJoe
My 06 makes a similar noise. Not as bad though.

I do not have a warranty and I will certainly not be paying $3000 to have it fixed considering I can buy a lower mileage engine for about $1500. Or do the work myself for less than $1500. I have had the tick since I got the car 17months ago/11,000miles ago. Hasn't gotten worse so I am leaving it as be for now.

But its nice to know what could maybe be causing it. Thanks!
Well again I got my repairs Str8 from the dealer and you must know how expensive it is. I'm pretty sure you can find a small shop to do it for way much less. It's not something you really have to panic about but the fact that the engine is not suppose to make that sounds just bugs me. You don't feel a Little loss in power? I noticed right away as I got it back how smooth the rev goes up and feel the difference from before.

Originally Posted by rich2342
i assume your engine was consuming oil?
I had to do my oil change about every 2700k miles. In the beginning of the change the noise was a Little bit quieter and more smooth. After about 1500-2000k miles it was just a non stop pain in the butt to hear that tick.

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Great... *Runs outside to check for tick.
check it. Be sure to be up to date with the services. If not matters could be worse.

She runs like a jet now. Happy finally some silence.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:44 PM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit! I hope i don't have this tick.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:42 PM
350ZZJoe

Originally Posted by EnSaYnE-Z33
Well again I got my repairs Str8 from the dealer and you must know how expensive it is. I'm pretty sure you can find a small shop to do it for way much less. It's not something you really have to panic about but the fact that the engine is not suppose to make that sounds just bugs me. You don't feel a Little loss in power? I noticed right away as I got it back how smooth the rev goes up and feel the difference from before.

Yeeeeaaah I know, I'm pretty confident I could actually fix it myself with my friend. But I don't know if I want to venture into that right now. Could you maybe PM me a copy of the bill from the dealership so I can see what parts they replaced? Just to get a better idea. If not no big deal but it would be nice to see.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:36 PM
island03z

How loud was this tick? could you hear it in the cabin if you had the windows down? Mine has a slight tick but it's only really noticeable when you lift the hood. Other than that my car seems to run strong and I never notice it otherwise.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:18 PM
EnSaYnE-Z33

Originally Posted by 350ZZJoe
Yeeeeaaah I know, I'm pretty confident I could actually fix it myself with my friend. But I don't know if I want to venture into that right now. Could you maybe PM me a copy of the bill from the dealership so I can see what parts they replaced? Just to get a better idea. If not no big deal but it would be nice to see.

Thanks!
ill do so tomorrow bud,

Originally Posted by island03z
How loud was this tick? could you hear it in the cabin if you had the windows down? Mine has a slight tick but it's only really noticeable when you lift the hood. Other than that my car seems to run strong and I never notice it otherwise.
Oh no mines was noticable especially while running. Couldnt cruise threw streets with out hearing the echo threw near walls or other cars. I was literally running only 5 cylinders, so i felt the loss now that everything runs smooth I noticed its performance reach its quota lol.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:13 PM
dubbingt

I have the same tick and I was hoping I wouldn't have to replace the lifters. It sucks that most of the engine has to be taken apart just to get to them.

Mine ticks like this most of the time, although every once in a while it would sound fine, until the next time I start it up. I'm going to try to add some oil additive and see if that does anything.

Did the dealership tell you why this happened? Infrequent oil changes or just defective lifters?
Old 07-27-2012, 10:29 PM
EnSaYnE-Z33

Originally Posted by dubbingt
I have the same tick and I was hoping I wouldn't have to replace the lifters. It sucks that most of the engine has to be taken apart just to get to them.

Mine ticks like this most of the time, although every once in a while it would sound fine, until the next time I start it up. I'm going to try to add some oil additive and see if that does anything.

Did the dealership tell you why this happened? Infrequent oil changes or just defective lifters?
They told me, lack of oiled components. I'm pretty sure the previous owner was running with engine with dirty or low oil. And +plus I just had taken out a ZEX nitrous holes. 1. Previous owner raced my Z and pushed the engine all it could on stock engine. 2. She is in good hands now