Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Garage and Tools setups.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 05:40 PM
realist alive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love craftsman tool boxes. I currently have 2, one six drawer ball bearing box. My new box is the Special edition all matte black tool box (I have a thing for black).

as far as tools go I also like black tools so I have black craftsman wrenches and husky black socket set will post pics tomorrow.

I store my tools in my garage(has alarm because attached to house) and work on the car in the work shop(out building with no alarm just plenty of space) so it is key that your tools(air compressor and tool box have wheels)
Old 09-21-2012, 12:03 AM
dykel3fiddyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by patrickoneal
Are you starting from scratch? No tools?

If so, I'd start off buying a decent tool box to keep everything organized. I had a 26" "quiet glide" craftsman box, but the drawers suck because they're not deep enough in many cases. I bought this setup back when the Harbor Freight 20% off coupons still worked on tool chests:

http://www.harborfreight.com/44-13-d...net-68784.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/red-rol...est-68787.html

My boxes are the matte finish, whereas these are gloss, but they're the same thing.

If you're not a professional mechanic, I don't see dumping $5000 on a Snap-on box. The HF box holds up great and it's a real bargain.

As far as hand tools, there's nothing wrong with Craftsman, and they do have a nice in store exchange program. I have had good luck with generic imported sockets. I also wouldn't go out and buy one of those large Craftsman kits unless you're going to buy socket rails to store everything. Unless things have changed, most of the big sets do not retain the sockets, so it if tips over when open you get to pick up your 202 pieces.

Sockets like this seem to be of good enough quality:

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piec...set-67868.html

I think they come with a rail attached, even though it's not shown in the picture.

Costco had them at one time, with a ratchet, deep and shallow, standard and metric for $20:

Another good thing to get is a service cart. I bought one a while back and I don't know how I worked without it. It'll keep you from being tempted to set tools and parts all over the fenders, on top of the engine, etc. where they'll inevitably fall off. It's good for car wash time too, you can set all your towels and cleaning product on it so they're not all over the ground.

http://www.harborfreight.com/30-inch...art-92865.html

Harbor Freight is great for tool chests, sockets, impact sockets, service carts and such, but stay away from them for air tools, compressors and anything with a motor on it. You'll want to pay more to get quality on that stuff. You can get by with a Craftsman oilless compressor, and I definitely have, but some people say they break down quickly. For air tools go with Ingersoll Rand, or one of the other big brands.

Get a decent jack. I paid $200 for a craftsman aluminum jack, and it was great while it lasted. A year later it won't jack, it's out of warranty, and there is no rebuild kit. I ended up getting an Arcan jack at Costco. It won't fit under my Z unless I drive up on two 2x8 boards, but it hasn't let me down(pun intended). Costco will take anything back any time. If the jack fails in 10 years, I can roll it in there and get another one. I've heard the jack stands at HF are ok. Make sure you get some sort of stands, never trust your life to the seals in a hydraulic jack. Sometimes I'll even use the stands and leave the jack under the car as well to double up on safety.

tl;dr:

1. Buy the 44" box from HF.
2. Buy small socket sets with rails for ease of organization and spill-proof qualities.
3. Buy a plastic service cart from HF or Northern.
4. Get your compressor and air tools from anywhere except HF.
5. Get a jack from Costco.
6. Buy tools as you need them. I've found that the labor costs at a shop for most jobs will offset the cost of tools easily, and sometimes leave enough money to do the job twice if you screw up... and you end up with tools to show for your money.

Patrick

Damn, im late to this but thanks for the input! Definitely will have to look into those!
Old 09-21-2012, 12:12 AM
dykel3fiddyz

Originally Posted by PeterPotatoes
Sorry if I was coming off rude, I just assumed you didnt know.
Not at all my friend!!!!! Thanks for the input!
Old 09-24-2013, 06:53 AM
Callmetony

Can I bump this thread back into existence? I don't have a garage unfortunately, but I'm building up a collection of tools until I move into a house sometime in the next year (when my apartment lease is up).

Would like to see useful/economical tool sets of some more experienced 350z owners.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:41 AM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Callmetony
Can I bump this thread back into existence? I don't have a garage unfortunately, but I'm building up a collection of tools until I move into a house sometime in the next year (when my apartment lease is up).

Would like to see useful/economical tool sets of some more experienced 350z owners.
Craftsman mechanic tool sets are pretty good. That's what I have been using for awhile. Haven't had any issues with the tools.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:36 AM
teodizzo

Originally Posted by 350zJDMnismo27
My old shop Will be missed

How much did you pay for that lift? Just curious because that is definitely something I want when I move into a bigger house
Old 09-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Callmetony

Originally Posted by graffkid732
Craftsman mechanic tool sets are pretty good. That's what I have been using for awhile. Haven't had any issues with the tools.
I've heard that from quite a few folks, and don't intend to buy many tools other than craftsman unless it's really unique.

The garages some of these guys posted are just amazing. As much as I'd love to have a $30,000 workshop, I'm currently just trying to "get it done on a budget" as far as routine maintenance goes. So far I have jack stands, oil pans, and a basic socket set from craftsman....

Last edited by Callmetony; 09-24-2013 at 09:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-24-2013, 09:48 AM
graffkid732

I've heard that from quite a few folks, and don't intend to buy many tools other than craftsman unless it's really unique.

The garages some of these guys posted are just amazing. As much as I'd love to have a $30,000 workshop, I'm currently just trying to "get it done on a budget" as far as routine maintenance goes. So far I have jack stands, oil pans, and a basic socket set from craftsman....
Toward Black Friday and the Holiday season look for the 300+ piece mechanic sets. You pretty much get everything you need for most work done on a car. I would then buy a nicely sized screw driver set, pliers set, WD40/PB Blaster, rags, magnet, and shop vac.

I'm hoping to have a 2-3 car garage to work in when I buy/build a house. 2 at the bare minimum.

Last edited by graffkid732; 09-24-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:53 AM
Callmetony

I'm hoping to have a 2-3 car garage to work in when I buy/build a house. 2 at the bare minimum.
Agreed! Good thinking on the black friday idea since that is right around the corner anyhow.

My grandfather has a 3 car garage converted into a carpenter shop that he is no longer able to use. I'm sure he'd be happy to give me some old general purpose stuff. Only problem is I don't have much space to fill up since the Z is my only vehicle oh the irony.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:06 AM
graffkid732

Agreed! Good thinking on the black friday idea since that is right around the corner anyhow.

My grandfather has a 3 car garage converted into a carpenter shop that he is no longer able to use. I'm sure he'd be happy to give me some old general purpose stuff. Only problem is I don't have much space to fill up since the Z is my only vehicle oh the irony.
Use that if he is local then.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:48 AM
transamnut

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Try to keep my garage clean.

When I moved in, the garage was a cement floor, and exposed stud walls. I've since:

Laid vinyl tile (similar to what you'd find in schools, hospitals, etc).
Finished the walls (w/insulation),and the ceiling.
Added a small propane heater on the rear wall.
Yamaha surround sound setup w/CD player.
8' fluorescent lighting.
220 volt capability.
Phone service.
I will be adding a 4 post lift this winter.

As far as tools go, I'm like most, a weekend mechanic. With that being said, I really don't see the point in buying (and overpaying) for tools like Snap-On. The majority of equipment is either Craftsmen, or Husky; I have no complaints with either.
Attached Thumbnails Garage and Tools setups.-dscn1127.jpg   Garage and Tools setups.-dscn1125.jpg  
Old 09-24-2013, 10:51 AM
transamnut

Originally Posted by teodizzo
How much did you pay for that lift? Just curious because that is definitely something I want when I move into a bigger house
They are actually reasonable, considering what you're getting. A 8000 lb. capacity lift like that one is ~$2000.................and they run on house current!!!
Old 09-24-2013, 10:57 AM
graffkid732

Originally Posted by transamnut
They are actually reasonable, considering what you're getting. A 8000 lb. capacity lift like that one is ~$2000.................and they run on house current!!!
I'd prefer a 2 post, you seem to get more working room with them. Although you need the height. My friend got one for his shop locally used for $500ish + delivery and install(Which I assume you're paying for those with which ever lift). Shop close all the time, at least in this area due to there being so many of them. So used lifts and even bigger compressors aren't crazy expensive.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:03 AM
transamnut

I'd prefer a 2 post, you seem to get more working room with them. Although you need the height. My friend got one for his shop locally used for $500ish + delivery and install(Which I assume you're paying for those with which ever lift). Shop close all the time, at least in this area due to there being so many of them. So used lifts and even bigger compressors aren't crazy expensive.
I agree with the 2 post lift; it uses a smaller footprint than the 4's, BUT...............you WILL need to strengthen the floor with the 2 post lift (all the weight concentrated on those 2 spots, as opposed to 4).
Old 09-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Callmetony

Man that is a steal for the lift, delivery, and install at $500. Assuming it works!?

Of course I would like to work at my grandpa's shop but unfortunately that is 400 miles away. When I'm there next month I'll see if he has some stuff to donate to my 350Z charity
Old 09-24-2013, 11:15 AM
graffkid732

Man that is a steal for the lift, delivery, and install at $500. Assuming it works!?

Of course I would like to work at my grandpa's shop but unfortunately that is 400 miles away. When I'm there next month I'll see if he has some stuff to donate to my 350Z charity
Hah nah. $500 for the lift and then he had to pay delivery and install. Delivery was only 3-5 miles at most.