Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Garage and Tools setups.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 12:17 AM
dykel3fiddyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage and Tools setups.

For the people who like to work on your own car and take things into your own hands. Post some pics on where the magic happens. Ive been getting really serious about learning to "DIMYSELF" here lately. I have grown a passion for cars and learning how to fix them. I currently have an amazing 2 car car garage that my Dad, Grandpa and myself built. It is an awesome thing to have. Im working on buying all the tools i need to fill it up. But unfortunately i cant just buy everything i need at once. Im a hard working Nursing Assistant working on getting my R.N degree. When i finish i will have everything i want. And my Z the way i want it

Post some pics of your garage and tool setups. What kind of tools you prefer.
From Task Force all the way to Snap On.

Last edited by dykel3fiddyz; 09-10-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:51 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best of luck on your garage!
I can relate to having a "state of the art" garage to work on your rides.
In my previous home, I did all the bells&whistles in my garage.Custom cabinets
covered in diamond plate aluminum.Special flooring..halogen lites etc.All the tools...
Moved to another home.Garage went away but had a shop building constructed.
Rather compact but has all the stuff I need.Of course,the tools are the biggest asset.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:58 AM
cgkp0925

I'm not a mechanic, but I do love to have a clean garage. I made it a Z garage. Check out my thread for other pics.

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...-z-garage.html

Old 09-10-2012, 10:00 AM
350zJDMnismo27

My old shop Will be missed

Old 09-10-2012, 10:50 AM
AngelsVQ

^^^ awesome
Old 09-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Nismo44512

Literally my dream garage, you beat me to it... PM me with details on where you got the clock and stuff!!!
Originally Posted by cgkp0925
I'm not a mechanic, but I do love to have a clean garage. I made it a Z garage. Check out my thread for other pics.

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...-z-garage.html

Old 09-10-2012, 12:36 PM
cgkp0925

Originally Posted by Nismo44512
Literally my dream garage, you beat me to it... PM me with details on where you got the clock and stuff!!!
If you click on the link to my thread a few posts back, you'll find out I made everything at work. All custom.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Nismo44512

Will do, thanks!
Originally Posted by cgkp0925
If you click on the link to my thread a few posts back, you'll find out I made everything at work. All custom.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:37 PM
harman850t5

Went from this

To this

I think I miss my snap on box more than thr lift.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:58 PM
dykel3fiddyz

Wow, some nice garages!!! Snap-On is a little out of my range until i finish my degree.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:30 PM
PeterPotatoes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, nice setups. My garage is a gravel driveway at a apartment complex .

I have some tools though... all my car only stuff is here, at home, the majority is at work ( I used to work at a nissan dealership, now I fix buses). I like tools

Old 09-10-2012, 11:44 PM
PeterPotatoes

Originally Posted by dykel3fiddyz
Wow, some nice garages!!! Snap-On is a little out of my range until i finish my degree.
Honestly, if you're not wrenching everyday, I would go with Craftsmen. Their tools are nice and reliable. When something breaks you take it back to sears and get a new one. When I start building up my home hand tool set, it's going to be craftsmen.

If you only work on a select few cars I would buy a basic wrench/socket set. Then as you need certain tools for projects, you buy them. I have a whole lot of tools that rarely get used but serve a purpose to make a job at work easier so I have more sleeping time

But if you have the money, Snap-on and other high end tools are nice.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:38 AM
dykel3fiddyz

Originally Posted by PeterPotatoes
Honestly, if you're not wrenching everyday, I would go with Craftsmen. Their tools are nice and reliable. When something breaks you take it back to sears and get a new one. When I start building up my home hand tool set, it's going to be craftsmen.

If you only work on a select few cars I would buy a basic wrench/socket set. Then as you need certain tools for projects, you buy them. I have a whole lot of tools that rarely get used but serve a purpose to make a job at work easier so I have more sleeping time

But if you have the money, Snap-on and other high end tools are nice.

Craftsman used to be the Snap-On. Best in the business. Then they started making cheaper stuff.. Still nice. But not the old craftsman.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:07 AM
patrickoneal

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you starting from scratch? No tools?

If so, I'd start off buying a decent tool box to keep everything organized. I had a 26" "quiet glide" craftsman box, but the drawers suck because they're not deep enough in many cases. I bought this setup back when the Harbor Freight 20% off coupons still worked on tool chests:

http://www.harborfreight.com/44-13-d...net-68784.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/red-rol...est-68787.html

My boxes are the matte finish, whereas these are gloss, but they're the same thing.

If you're not a professional mechanic, I don't see dumping $5000 on a Snap-on box. The HF box holds up great and it's a real bargain.

As far as hand tools, there's nothing wrong with Craftsman, and they do have a nice in store exchange program. I have had good luck with generic imported sockets. I also wouldn't go out and buy one of those large Craftsman kits unless you're going to buy socket rails to store everything. Unless things have changed, most of the big sets do not retain the sockets, so it if tips over when open you get to pick up your 202 pieces.

Sockets like this seem to be of good enough quality:

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piec...set-67868.html

I think they come with a rail attached, even though it's not shown in the picture.

Costco had them at one time, with a ratchet, deep and shallow, standard and metric for $20:

Another good thing to get is a service cart. I bought one a while back and I don't know how I worked without it. It'll keep you from being tempted to set tools and parts all over the fenders, on top of the engine, etc. where they'll inevitably fall off. It's good for car wash time too, you can set all your towels and cleaning product on it so they're not all over the ground.

http://www.harborfreight.com/30-inch...art-92865.html

Harbor Freight is great for tool chests, sockets, impact sockets, service carts and such, but stay away from them for air tools, compressors and anything with a motor on it. You'll want to pay more to get quality on that stuff. You can get by with a Craftsman oilless compressor, and I definitely have, but some people say they break down quickly. For air tools go with Ingersoll Rand, or one of the other big brands.

Get a decent jack. I paid $200 for a craftsman aluminum jack, and it was great while it lasted. A year later it won't jack, it's out of warranty, and there is no rebuild kit. I ended up getting an Arcan jack at Costco. It won't fit under my Z unless I drive up on two 2x8 boards, but it hasn't let me down(pun intended). Costco will take anything back any time. If the jack fails in 10 years, I can roll it in there and get another one. I've heard the jack stands at HF are ok. Make sure you get some sort of stands, never trust your life to the seals in a hydraulic jack. Sometimes I'll even use the stands and leave the jack under the car as well to double up on safety.

tl;dr:

1. Buy the 44" box from HF.
2. Buy small socket sets with rails for ease of organization and spill-proof qualities.
3. Buy a plastic service cart from HF or Northern.
4. Get your compressor and air tools from anywhere except HF.
5. Get a jack from Costco.
6. Buy tools as you need them. I've found that the labor costs at a shop for most jobs will offset the cost of tools easily, and sometimes leave enough money to do the job twice if you screw up... and you end up with tools to show for your money.

Patrick

Last edited by patrickoneal; 09-11-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:36 AM
PeterPotatoes

yeah, This ^

I always find it funny to see a new mechanic with a 8-10K box and half the draws are empty. I'v have had my crastmen box for about 7years and it still works... just running out of space.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:39 AM
PeterPotatoes

Originally Posted by dykel3fiddyz
Craftsman used to be the Snap-On. Best in the business. Then they started making cheaper stuff.. Still nice. But not the old craftsman.
Sorry if I was coming off rude, I just assumed you didnt know.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:57 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Here is my garage. I just moved about 2 months ago and things are starting to get back to normal. Hopefully, a Race Deck floor will be installed in the near future.
Attached Thumbnails Garage and Tools setups.-garage.jpg   Garage and Tools setups.-side-view.jpg  
Old 09-11-2012, 01:14 PM
patrickoneal

Originally Posted by PeterPotatoes
yeah, This ^

I always find it funny to see a new mechanic with a 8-10K box and half the draws are empty. I'v have had my crastmen box for about 7years and it still works... just running out of space.
It is funny to see that. I don't see my box ever failing and for 8k I could buy 10 of them.

If you have a Harbor Freight around, I recommend you check out the toolbox I linked to. They are pretty impressive for the money. They even come with drawer liners and labels for all the drawers. Definitely watch the sale ads for them, as the price changes quite a bit. It may even be better to buy the top or bottom and wait for the other to go on sale. I need to rearrange my garage, so I can add the side cabinets. It kinda sucks that they changed the finish though. They'll also match the online price, which is sometimes different than the store price, so be sure to take a printout with you.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:17 PM
patrickoneal

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
Here is my garage. I just moved about 2 months ago and things are starting to get back to normal. Hopefully, a Race Deck floor will be installed in the near future.
Have you walked on a racedeck floor? Sears has various floors on display in the tool section. They had a hard plastic floor, which I assume is the same or similar to racedeck. I wasn't impressed with it. It clicked and clacked when you walk on it and looked to be difficult to clean. You'll also have to use special jack stands, or put plywood under them to keep from damaging the floor. The cheaper rubber "coin pattern" flooring they have there is quiet to walk on and felt better under foot to me.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:22 PM
cgkp0925

Originally Posted by patrickoneal
Have you walked on a racedeck floor? Sears has various floors on display in the tool section. They had a hard plastic floor, which I assume is the same or similar to racedeck. I wasn't impressed with it. It clicked and clacked when you walk on it and looked to be difficult to clean. You'll also have to use special jack stands, or put plywood under them to keep from damaging the floor. The cheaper rubber "coin pattern" flooring they have there is quiet to walk on and felt better under foot to me.

Quick Reply: Garage and Tools setups.