Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Floor Jack mounting points???

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 07:40 PM
CluelessZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floor Jack mounting points???

I know this has been discussed numerous times on this forum, but it seems there are different ways people go about jacking up their car.

First, If I were to Jack up the Car (FRONT) with a floor jack using the center jack point between the front wheels (you know that raised circlular piece of steel mid-way between both front wheels), How in the hell do I move the Jack handle up and down. Even when I drive up on a 2x8, the car is still soo low, I can't get the jack handle to really have the full range of motion.

And, I can't jack up each side of the car with a floor jack, cause it has a circular head, and the side of the car has the notched steel around the edge.

secondly, I have these 2 ton jack stands, and I could put these at the side jack mounting points (where the stock jack that comes with the car goes), but the jack stand head is shaped like a "U" and I think its gonna leave indentations on the underbody of the frame.

I guess I'm looking for recommendations on how you guys do it.

And, I don't want to go out and buy some $130.00 low profile jack. I wanna stick with the $30-$50 floor jack...
Old 01-12-2004, 08:43 AM
Z'd

purchase a couple of the trolley blocks on the attached link and you can use a standard jack or jackstand at the designated jackpoints for the car. I bought 4 and they work like a charm.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...&storeId=10101
Old 01-12-2004, 09:30 AM
350z4steve

speaking of jack stands and lifting up the Z for support what is the best method of getting the car up for support..does that mean having ramps then lift the car and add the support stands afterwards..and is there a center jack location for the lift? I was wondering if someone has a good thread handy on this is its been discussed im curious because the car sits pretty low and whats the best and safest route to take when using jack stands.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:00 AM
CluelessZ

Originally posted by 350z4steve
speaking of jack stands and lifting up the Z for support what is the best method of getting the car up for support..does that mean having ramps then lift the car and add the support stands afterwards..and is there a center jack location for the lift? I was wondering if someone has a good thread handy on this is its been discussed im curious because the car sits pretty low and whats the best and safest route to take when using jack stands.
I sure as hell am NOT going to spend the extra money on ramps when I have a floor jack. You can lift the entire front or rear of the car with the floor jack at the factory mounting points.

There is a good thread in the modification section of this website (thread started yesterday). The title of the thread is "underbody pic of car" or something like that. I highlighted with circles where the mounting points are.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:13 PM
jackwhale

CluelessZ: I tried getting by without the ramps. bought a lightweight low clearance jack from Harbor Bay tools, bought the trolley blocks from JC Whitney.....still was difficult to raise car.

So I made two ramps using two 2 x 10 boards stacked on top of each other--screwed them together and then cut one end of each on an angle. I now drive the front wheels on the ramp (4" high) and can easily use the low-clearance floor jack and 4 jack stands. For changing oil I don't even need the jack.

At autocross events, I notice that most people have the low-clearance floor jack and homemade wooden ramps.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:47 PM
CluelessZ

jackwhale,

I hear what your saying. I did some experimenting last night (changing oil tonight) and although I could get the floor jack under the car, it was worthless, since I couldn't get the full range of the "pumping" action from the arm of the jack.

So I put some 2x8's under the wheels. That seemed to help. I think tomorrow I'm going to home depot and will get a 2x10, and stack 2 on top of each other (and screw together). That should work great.

my Jack is one of those 2 1/2 ton aluminum racing jacks...Only 4 inches min height, but doesn't mean shi$ if you can't swing the jack handle.