Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Water pump maybe and A/C belt issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 05:09 AM
will_z32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump maybe and A/C belt issues

Alright right around a year ago my water pump locked and the timing chain was half way off track. Right before the pump locked i went through around 3 A/C belts also, they would just shred on the motor side. I went through three different pumps till i finally found one that sealed, after that the A/C belt was fine and did not shred. PITA!! I also changed the thermostat while all this was going on. So a couple days ago i was noticing that my fans were coming on when i would stop in traffic at red lights or in drive-thru's. Started to pay attention to coolant level and nothing was low and no air in the system. The past couple days i have seen a couple small puddles after the car has been sitting after getting home from work or short drives. Also the A/C belt has started shredding on the motor side again. SIGH

So i guess my question is, has anyone had any similar issues with the water pump or the A/C belt. And why would those two only happen at the same time??
Old 10-27-2012, 05:36 AM
bmyles

You need to check your belt tensioners. They're either too tight or too loose. Unless your crank pulley is just wobbling like crazy (if it was, you'd have bigger problems), then it's most likely incorrect belt tension.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:59 AM
will_z32

i have checked them. When i changed it the first time i marked on the tensioner and put it close to right back there. I have been running this belt for a year now with no problem. Also just thought about this; i belive where i think the pump maybe leaking would be on this belt. I am thinking since this is happening and radiator fluid is very slick it might be causing the belt to slide making it shred like it is. Anyone think this is possible???

Last edited by will_z32; 10-27-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Checkmate58

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a bad waterpump. Mine started leaking small. Then it got bigger as the days progressed but the belt wasn't getting shredded. Changed out the pump and no problems since.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:47 AM
aj555

Hey guys I have something possibly similar. My belts haven't been shredding or anything like that, but I noticed a good puddle on the right side (drivers side) of coolant. I looked into the engine, turned her on, and could see coolant dripping by the A/C pulley, underneath the water pump. More came out the warmer the engine got. Possibly the weep hole. No other leaks above that location. My money is on a bad pump/ O-rings.

What do you guys think?

Thanks