Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

My first engine swap, please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 PM
ByThaBay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first engine swap, please help

Hello all,

I have done a few clutch jobs here and there and have done most maintenance tasks, although I am not comfortable with A/C systems. My task at hand is to replace the blown engine in my new 350z roadster, 2005 automatic with a donor engine and transmission from a 2003 350z coupe, automatic. Below I have outlined my questions and concerns - please advise:

Donor Engine Delivery
How do I get the engine off the truck it will arrive on? I was thinking I would pick up an engine hoist but then I have no idea how or where to hook it up and what else I need to buy to make this all happen. Finally, when I hoist the assembly up, where do I set it down? Do I just set down a bunch of tires on my garage floor? - clueless here, please help.

Donor Engine Prep
I was thinking all I'll really need to do is get new consumeables such as hoses, belts, spark plugs, and maybe even a new thermostat - what do you guys recommend?

350z prep
Of course I will be draining all fluids and removing as much stuff "in the way" as possible. One thing I am not sure about is the A/C system, can I get by without evacuating it? Perhaps I can just unmount the A/C compressor from the engine and move it aside?

350z engine removal
So I have seen this engine removed several different ways:
From the top, the engine comes out alone using a hoist (most likely the way I will do it).

From the front, the engine AND trans come out together, I will probably not do it this way as I don't think I will have enough room in my garage do pull this off. Is this really the best way to go?

From the bottom, apparently the easiest way if you have a lift.

I guess my intent is to take it out from the top - can this be done without disconnecting A/C lines? If not, it looks like I'll have to have the car towed to a shop to do a proper recovery.

Anything else you guys can give a newb as tips? Anything is appreciated.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:38 AM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Delivery: Make sure they have a lift gate and have them bring it to your garage door.

Removal: I removed mine walking it right out the front with front end off. Felt that was easy. I removed it a few times in a 1 car garage as well.

A/C: You can actually just move the condenser out of the way and un bolt the compressor then move that as well.

Prep: I would definitely do all the normal maintenance and such. Belt, fluids, plugs. Not too costly and better safe than sorry.

Do a lot of searching here as most of what you need is definitely covered.

Good luck.