Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Grinding sound - back drivers side wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 03:40 PM
kingtomis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding sound - back drivers side wheel

Sorry if this has been answered previously but searching didnt turn up anything that fit this exactly.

So I recently bought an 03 Z with 74k on it and had a PPI done and it checked clean.

Two weeks later I notice a feint grinding sound coming from the back drivers side wheel at low speeds, 0-35. It might make it at higher speeds but it's hard to hear with all the road noise.

So I take a look and there is a black, stretched out rubber band about one centimeter wide up against the rotor that isnt there on any of the other wheels. I'm guessing it popped up and out from behind the rotor but I dont know, not a car person at all. The extent of my knowhow ends at changing my own oil.

Any help would be very appreciated, especially so I know what I'm actually dealing with when going to get it looked at rather than going in blind.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:27 PM
shine-EZ

You got your wheel, a rotor, a hub, a caliper bracket, pads and a caliper. Maybe your seeing someones sloppy application of brake lubrican. Some guys use alot and it gets onto the rotor and pad resulting in a hard spot. Also could be silicone from the back of the brake pads, some guys use silicone - i dont like that idea because it gels up. Look up how to do your own brake service and take it apart. A shop will rape you in labour charges
Old 12-14-2012, 05:49 PM
SlowNFurious

I have an 03 as well and it has some very noisy rear brakes. They do not squeal or squeak, but produce more of a grinding type sound as you have described. They also creak, kind of sounds like the suspension is creaking.

It was like this when I bought the car, so I immediately bought new pads and when I installed them I greased all the contact points on the caliper and that solved the problem. I have had the car for 18 months and whenever the noise comes back I regrease the calipers. I have probably had to do this 2-3 over 18 months.

as the other poster said, the black could be grease from somebody else trying to get rid of the noise and they applied a little too much grease. The have disc brake caliper specific grease and this is the ONLY product that will last more than a week and still be effective.

It there is in fact a rubber band, than maybe they were trying to dampen the sound. Just a guess, otherwise I have no idea why it would be there.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:08 AM
shine-EZ

There is no rubber band on your braking system. That must be grease or silicone. No way there is a rubber band in there- period. Take your brakes apart (basic) and inspect. Duh!! Why did you even post!? DOH!
Old 12-15-2012, 07:36 AM
SlowNFurious

Originally Posted by shine-EZ
There is no rubber band on your braking system. That must be grease or silicone. No way there is a rubber band in there- period. Take your brakes apart (basic) and inspect. Duh!! Why did you even post!? DOH!
If I go and wrap a rubber band around my brake rotor (around the hub) and take a picture are you going to tell me its not there? I would agree it is odd, but if the guy is looking at a rubber band how can you tell him it's not there?
Old 12-15-2012, 10:44 AM
kingtomis

Its there, if I have the mental capacity to register, and post a thread I'm pretty sure it can be trusted I can tell the difference between a band of black rubber and grease.

I could post a picture but I'm not sure what help it would be as it's not supposed to be there anyway.

Thanks for the help SlowNFurious.