Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

my stock lip spoiler popped off, need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 12:03 PM
slu350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my stock lip spoiler popped off, need help

My stock lip spoiler popped off last week when my friends were trying to push my car out of the snow. There's 4 holes in the trunk but I did not see any nuts or bolts attached to my trunk or spoiler. Only saw 1 grommet stuck onto the back of the spoiler. Removed the back panel of the hatch and didn't see any nuts or bolts there either.

Was wondering whether I should tape the spoiler back on with 3M automotive adhesive tape, or try to find the right nuts and bolts for the job. I've searched the forums for the right size/length bolts but havent had any luck.

I've found this http://www.courtesyparts.com/instruc...RRSPL_pg1.html but they dont have the length of bolts/studs listed either.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:18 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

3M tape should be fine for your OEM spoiler. But, two things - make sure all the mounting surfaces are super-clean, and you're going to want the car in a warm place to get good adhesion. Only a guess, but I'd say at least 65F or warmer, with time for the body parts to get warm, and after the tape is on to let the adhesive set for a day or so. Have you got a heated garage?
Old 03-03-2013, 02:56 PM
slu350z

Thanks. No my garage isn't heated, will have to wait till next week when things warm up. Will any 3M tape work? I just bought the "Exterior/Outside Mounting one from Lowe's.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:56 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Not sure exactly what you've got. I bought mine at a body shop supply store. It's fairly thin, so the spoiler fits nearly flush, but I don't recall the specific name or part number.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:21 PM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I have used 3M tape to mount the exact same thing only no bolt holes. If you can, plug the bolt holes because my lip spoiler let a tiny bit of water and dirt under it and when I took it off 6 months or so later, it was gross. You don't want that leaking in your hatch. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:51 AM
Nacho Z

I'm looking into taking my OEM spoiler off and I was really hoping it was just 3M taped on.
I'm really bummed to hear there are factory holes that will need to be repaired.