Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Weird little sounds coming from interior of the Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Weird little sounds coming from interior of the Z

I've got a few little annoying issues with my Z that I'm hoping someone can help me out with. First is my shift ****. It rattles when i'm driving, most of the time I have the music turned up or the windows down to here my beautiful VQ scream but when i'm in my car talking with a girl while driving the little rattle from the shift **** is annoying. Another weird sound is I hear something like a loose screw rolling around somewhere underneath the trunk space. Idk what the hell it is and I've looked in the spare tire compartment to see if I can find whatever is making that noise when I slow down but I couldn't find it yet. Anyone got any ideas how I can quiet the shift **** noise and the little noise coming from the trunk area?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 PM
DrummerGirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried tightening down the spare tire? Checking for any parts rolling around in the back? I pulled up the carpet in my hatch and the spare tire wasn't on there very tight, and I found 3 pens and a random clip back there. I was having weird sounds back there but it's fine now that I filled up the spare, tightened it down, and pulled out the random pens. :P
Old 03-08-2013, 08:05 PM
MyO3Z

What kind of shift ****? My car came with a Nismo **** that has the carbon fiber around it, and the carbon fiber portion came unglued and rattled SO loud if you weren't holding it.
\/ that shift ****...so I just took it off and replaced it with a custom pool ball **** I made
http://www.z1motorsports.com/imageGa...rShiftKnob.jpg
Old 03-09-2013, 03:56 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I checked the spare tire and it was tightened down pretty good so I think it might be some random object that might be under the spare tire because I never took it out or anything. I also have the stock shift ****.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:04 PM
TheWoo

The OEM shift **** has a little aluminum spacer that will rattle if you don't take it out when you replace with an aftermarket ****. I don't know why it would rattle though if you never removed the OEM **** before. You may want to pull up the shift boot finisher to see if one of the bolts for the metal trim for the rubber inner or the shifter guide itself has wobbled loose. Are you sure it's the shift ****, and not, perhaps, the buttons on your mirror? That damn mirror drove me nuts before I deadened it with foam.

If you can't find any loose objects in your spare tire well, you can also check your spare tool area. The noise could also be that the plastic trim covering the inside of your hatch is loose. Another thing that could be making a noise is where the top of your rear shock attaches to the car's body. Over time, the rubber gasket on there deteriorates and causes rattle/clicking.

I wish our cars didn't have so many oddball interior noises.