Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Problems with starting car

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 05:16 AM
arc2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with starting car

I havent owned my 350Z long, but I started having a strangle problem recently. My service engine light came on, and said my camshaft position sensor needed to be replaced. I went ahead and got that done, along with replacing my battery, and this is what still happens...

When starting the car...it starts up just fine. But about a second or 2 after starting, it sounds like the car is going to stall out and die. Then suddenly, it regains power and runs like normal.

I have 2 videos that show this problem, I was only able to upload one. I have the other one (the better one) that I could email.

Anyone have ideas?
Attached Files
File Type: zip
IMG_0346.zip (736.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 05-22-2013, 06:37 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cam position sensor problems are common after say 70K miles.
Since your read the codes accurately,I take it you replaced the sensor
from the correct bank?Also,did you use a OEM sensor or a generic?
Cam sensor problems can be a bit elusive.It is possible that the other sensor
is going bad or,working "on&off".Many owners just replace both sensors
even if the code shows one is not working.Did you do the install?Its fairing easy
(especially on the passenger side).Its possible something was not put back
properly.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:12 AM
arc2010

Yep, replaced the correct sensor. I replaced the Bank 2 sensor (not me, at a shop). I'm assuming they just used a generic sensor. The car right now is at about 88,000 miles.

I'm just afraid one day it's not going to start...is that a possibly? So you are saying I should get the other replaced as well?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:18 AM
arc2010

And the problem with starting the car only really occurs after driving for at least 30 minutes...turnning the car off, then trying to start the car again. Thats when the problem is most severe.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:49 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up YEP

Originally Posted by arc2010
Yep, replaced the correct sensor. I replaced the Bank 2 sensor (not me, at a shop). I'm assuming they just used a generic sensor. The car right now is at about 88,000 miles.

I'm just afraid one day it's not going to start...is that a possibly? So you are saying I should get the other replaced as well?
Yes,its a possibility.These sensors sorta start with a "blip" every once&awhile.
Then a "blop"...You may not get a CEL.If it were me,I'd replace both sensors with factory parts.Yes,a dealer is gonna hose you on the price.You can get a better price from some of the Z vendors like Z1 Motorsports.Another area that could be getting weak is one of your coil packs.Many cars need valve cover replacement around your miles.You could have some oil leakage.
I'd start with the CP sensors first.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I had this issue with my old 02 Altima. I currently have 72k on my Z and I re-purchased 2 cam sensors and I believe the 1 crank sensor from courtesy parts. Those sensors will stop your car in a heartbeat. In case your crank shaft sensor goes, I had a little trick, I would put the car in 6th and push it back and forth a bit ( to more the position of the crank in relation to the sensor). That saved my butt when the car left me stranded in a 4x stop.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:57 AM
arc2010

Perfect. I will try the other position sensor first, and see if that works. If that doesnt fix it, I wil try the crank sensor next. Hopefully that's the fix.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:29 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I try to not throw parts at the problems, if you arent getting error codes those parts arent prob the issue. If they are cheap I would replace em out of "they are old" issues, but follow what the car tells you.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Z3305

Default Cam Position Sensors

Crazy, I was about to search and open a thread if I had to about this.

My '05 with 77K started stalling last week and my shop replaced a cam sensor (didn't know there were two, I'll have to ask him about that). Got the car back yesterday and it runs fine...until I get to 4500rpm when I get a fuel cut-off/limp mode. It doesn't stall now, but it hits limp mode. Took it back today and it showed a crank sensor code. Shop cleared the code, test drove it, hit limp mode and the code is back immediately. He has an online subscription to a large mechanic's database for all cars that's constantly getting new posts and sensor replacement works 85% of the time in the Z. Another part of the fix was to deburr the flywheel and check for missing teeth that could interrupt the sensor's read. My Exedy flywheel isn't that old, but he's going to check that and have another (OEM) sensor handy next week in case the new part was bad.

He was also kind of thinking out loud and wondered if we fixed the first problem (stalling) but got a new problem (limp mode.)

Any experienced techs out there with other suggestions? Thx
Old 05-28-2013, 04:56 PM
arc2010

Well I replaced the bank 1 cam sensor, but this didnt fix the "near stalling" after starting the car. So I'm thinking of purchasing the crank shaft sensor or taking it to a dealer to have it looked at? The dealer charges $119 to look at it, and if something is wrong, they will apply that money towards. Thoughts?
Old 06-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Kyle1488

My Z is doing the same thing... the stalling out/limp mode. But im not getting any codes thrown..
Old 06-02-2013, 09:59 AM
nachospizza

New Fuel Pump! Happens to be before I replaced the fuel pump whole unit and no more stalling!
Old 06-03-2013, 03:16 AM
Z3305

arc2010--
If you're having a sensor problem the ECU will absolutely store a code. My car threw a CRANK sensor code and after the CRANK position sensor was replaced the tech took the car to lunch and drove it around some. It ran fine, no more stalling. So I picked it up and wound it to redline on the way back to work but it hit limp mode at 4500rpm and coded again for the crank sensor (I guess it's nice to know my tech drove it easy during the road test) He got another one and that fixed it. Both were OEM Nissan sensors and the first one was faulty, so it happens.