Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Car won't start. Only one plug is firing.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 10:04 AM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car won't start. Only one plug is firing.

Started when I was driving home and I notice the car starts to become hesitant at higher RPM. I tried to go WOT and it just wouldn't. It just cut the power as if someone had put a rev limiter or smthing. I could not go past 3.5k rpm. So I go home park and the car and let it rest overnight. The next day the car cranks and it just wouldn't start

It threw off the cam sensor codes so we replaced them, including the following:
-fuel pump, plugs, coil packs. The codes were cleared but the car still won't start

Mods on the engine: JWT C2 cams, JWT valve springs, Unichip tune (it's been tuned for over a year now).

Anyone has ever experienced this?

Pls feel free to throw in your ideas and I will relay this to my mechanic. It's kind of hard pin pointing the root cause since the symptom seems so random. He will start soon to check all the harnesses / connectors / uninstall the Unichip and see if we get lucky.

Last edited by 350Zdj; 06-15-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:03 AM
350Zdj

So is this a rare case or something? Shall I kill the Z with fire?
Old 06-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Solitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick and easy

This has been known to happen to chipped systems, the chip goes bad and then you get a code on all of the things that the EMS manages, hence why you probably wasted your money on the parts. the best thing you could do is upgrade to a tunable unit (not just chip it) I can almost guarantee that the EMS was fried and now you are stuck in a mess nothing more than that.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:04 PM
350Zdj

Originally Posted by Solitude
This has been known to happen to chipped systems, the chip goes bad and then you get a code on all of the things that the EMS manages, hence why you probably wasted your money on the parts. the best thing you could do is upgrade to a tunable unit (not just chip it) I can almost guarantee that the EMS was fried and now you are stuck in a mess nothing more than that.
Thanks for chiming in dude.

I just wanted to update this thread. I took the car to a reputable shop that specializes in electrical/ecu and they concluded that my ECU got fried, and that the Unichip caused all this.

Thoughts anyone? I know a few people who were boosted on Unichip and this had never happened!