Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

starting issue, sometimes it starts most of the time it doesnt

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:57 PM
Bboyjimpy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting issue, sometimes it starts most of the time it doesnt

Ok I read alot of threads but i have a little more of an issue. So I daily my Z and about last week it started to have some starting issues. When I try turning over, all the lights in my dash blank out. no crank at all. and tonight my friend said he heard clicking coming from near the batter (assuming the start) but I cant hear it in the car. when my car does this, I usually just keep taking the key out and putting it back in and push in the clutch and try turning over. Eventually the car would start but when it does, theres a slight lag after turning over before starting.
someone help!
I just changed the battery just in case and it wasnt it!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 12:42 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the starter.
Year&miles on your car?
Old 10-29-2013, 12:31 PM
Bboyjimpy

Originally Posted by JCITY
Check the starter.
Year&miles on your car?
its an 04 and about 115k miles.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Bboyjimpy

Getting the car diagnose tomorrow. But if anyone has anything that can troubleshoot me let me know!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:18 AM
nachospizza

Might be Alternator going out?
Old 10-30-2013, 06:59 AM
black38

I had this happen to me today. Did a 10 hour drive yesterday and when I got out to my car this morning the light came on and the radio the. Everything went dead.
I wanted a minute and popped the hood and then heard some sort of clicking sound and then got back in the car and it started right up.

Stopped at a gas station a couple hours into today's drive. After starting it it sputtered and died and I had to restart it.

I have a 08 with 75k miles enthusiast.

I'd be very interested to find your diagnosis.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:12 AM
Bboyjimpy

I don't think it's the alternator. Cause the car isn't even cranking
Old 10-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Bboyjimpy

so an update on my status. the guy who was suppose to diagnose it wasnt even at his shop today so i have to reschedule... but heres what i did to start the car today.

leaving my house I disconnected the battery and reconnected it and it started. weird.
later on the day the only way the car would start is by keeping the key turning to start the car and pumping the clutch. for some reason the car started and I was on my way. key note, my car doesnt stale or shut off at all. car drive strong and mighty. only problem is starting the car. it has no crank at all. some one has a similar story? please comment!
Old 10-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Bboyjimpy

another update for the ones who are in the same boat as me!
whenever i try starting the car. I dont even hear a click. someone mentioned it might be a relay for the starter.
just now I decided to hit the **** out of the clutch pedal and turn over the key and it started.
it seems like it might just be the clutch safety switch that I heard of? can anyone clarify for me please?
Old 10-30-2013, 02:34 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Bboyjimpy
another update for the ones who are in the same boat as me!
whenever i try starting the car. I dont even hear a click. someone mentioned it might be a relay for the starter.
just now I decided to hit the **** out of the clutch pedal and turn over the key and it started.
it seems like it might just be the clutch safety switch that I heard of? can anyone clarify for me please?
If you suspect it's the clutch lockout switch you can very easily put a jumper accross that switch, so it's in the closed position all the time. If that issue doesn't surface for a while, then there's your answer, and you can just buy a new switch. WARNING: with that switch bypassed you'll be able to engage the starter without the clutch pedal depressed, and if the car is in gear, the car will move. Not really a big deal, as I have older sports cars, all with manual gearboxes. and none of them have clutch lockout switches. Just learn to be careful, and for me it's habit.

Also, the switch may just need a depth adjustment, due to wear on the tip (can't recall if that's possible on the Z), which may also fix your problem. If the switch treads into a bracket, just screw it in a little more, and see if that helps.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:48 PM
Bboyjimpy

Originally Posted by dcains
If you suspect it's the clutch lockout switch you can very easily put a jumper accross that switch, so it's in the closed position all the time. If that issue doesn't surface for a while, then there's your answer, and you can just buy a new switch. WARNING: with that switch bypassed you'll be able to engage the starter without the clutch pedal depressed, and if the car is in gear, the car will move. Not really a big deal, as I have older sports cars, all with manual gearboxes. and none of them have clutch lockout switches. Just learn to be careful, and for me it's habit.

Also, the switch may just need a depth adjustment, due to wear on the tip (can't recall if that's possible on the Z), which may also fix your problem. If the switch treads into a bracket, just screw it in a little more, and see if that helps.
thanks for responding!
yeah i ordered a new clutch switch because I rather not deal with my car being able to start without the clutch.
how would you bypass it? just disconnecting the clutch switch?
and while I was checking out the clutch switch i can tell it depressed the switch all the way so it might be a bad switch all together. i hope my clutch switch comes in asap so I can see if thats the problem
Old 10-30-2013, 06:01 PM
dcains

If you just disconnect the switch the car will never start, as you'll have the same effect as if the pedal was not pushed in. You need to put a jumper wire across the socket, so the effect is as if the clutch pedal is fully pushed in and the switch is closed. You can also remove the switch and check it with an ohmmeter. There should be zero resistance across the switch when the plunger is fully depressed.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:13 AM
Bboyjimpy

When I get a chance ill take it out! thanks!!
Old 11-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Bboyjimpy

Update and fix!
I decided to get a new clutch safety switch just so I don't run into another problem and it fixed it! No more problem! Starts everytime
Old 11-05-2013, 09:16 AM
dcains

Glad you got it fixed, and that it was an easy repair.