Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

350z problems in the rain

Old 07-11-2014, 09:04 AM
Jon McDorman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z problems in the rain

I've posted twice about this problem, but I still haven't figured out a solution The thread titles I've posted in are "wet weather issues" and another titled "wet weather problems again." I am having problems with my 2005 Z. The only mod is an AEM cold air intake. In wet weather it will "buck" while moving in gear on the throttle or if the clutch is pressed in or sitting at idle it will shut off. These issues lead me to believe the fuel is being shut off or inhibited for some reason. A lack of oxygen would probably also cause these issues, but I highly doubt that's the issue.

I've checked the fuses that are next to the battery and they appear to have never seen moisture. All the plastic in clean and free of water marks. The cover sets on correctly as well. I've cleaned the MAF and the filter. I did find some wires leading to the MAF in which the wires were bare in spots because the person who installed the CAI had the MAF pointed in a direction such that the hood smashed the wires every time the hood closed. I coated the bare spots with some liquid tape and re-positioned the MAF.

I'm certain the filter is not getting wet, but I'm not ruling this possible cause out. The car has all the plastic trays underneath in place and the problem will occur even if the car isn't moving, so there is no way the filter could get wet in those situations right?

I have to stress that I have absolutely NO problems in dry weather. Even if I wash the car at a car wash (I know, car washes are rough on the finish), if I sufficiently soak the car it may buck and have a rough idle until it dries out. I specifically noticed the car stall out once when an automatic car wash wand was washing right next to the passengers side front wheel.

Anyway, I got a video of the event yesterday.

Please watch and see if you guys can help me out! I love the vehicle, but I wish I could drive in the rain..

I go to the Nissan dealership Monday. They said, over the phone, that they hadn't heard of this, but they'd take a look and see if they could find something.

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2014, 09:26 AM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Damn 35k on an 05 Z? Nice.

Have you tried swapping in your stock intake and seeing if the problem persists?

I apologize if that has been suggested in one of your previous threads I'm honestly not going to go search and read through them.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:29 AM
Jon McDorman

I have an AEM cold air intake that was installed prior to my purchasing the vehicle.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Jon McDorman

Considered buying one, but I imagine the stock intakes are expensive..
Old 07-11-2014, 09:32 AM
pyshin

Stock intakes are sold for incredibly cheap on the used parts market (either here or Facebook groups)

If you posted a WTB ad on a Z/G parts Facebook group I'm sure you'd like a message in less than 24 hours

Here's a group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vq35parts/

Even a used JWT Pop Charger would be relatively inexpensive.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:42 AM
Jon McDorman

Thanks for the info! I'll keep that option open, but I'm hoping I find the fix somewhere else. I kind of like the look of the intake under the hood.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:45 AM
pyshin

Honestly if that's the only modification it's probably the issue

But if the looks under the hood of your car is more important to you than being able to drive your car in the rain, that's all you man

Good luck
Old 07-11-2014, 11:21 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like the intake is an issue.

I would go back to oem they can be found cheap here or eBay.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pyshin
Damn 35k on an 05 Z? Nice.

Have you tried swapping in your stock intake and seeing if the problem persists?

I apologize if that has been suggested in one of your previous threads I'm honestly not going to go search and read through them.
I bought my 03 with 24k on the clock and I brought it up to 32k since I got it. I suggest getting the stock airbox and putting it back on to see if that solves the issue.

Last edited by Jah70; 07-11-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:01 PM
optimusgrimez33

i have the same intake and the same thing used to happen to me. i figured out that water was going down under the headlight onto the filter and the filter was getting soaked. i went to home depot and put some rubber stripping to prevent water from going under the headlight and in between the bumper. you could also get an intake sock to keep water off your filter
Old 07-11-2014, 11:30 PM
superstuddc27

My money's also on the intake. messing with the airflow by getting the filter moist I would think esp if it's not a short ram intake
Old 07-12-2014, 06:45 AM
Jon McDorman

Alright, I'm sold on the intake idea. I'll swap out for a stock intake and see what happens. Thanks again for the info.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:03 PM
frocker93

Almost sounds like an electrical issue. Water under the hood or just dripping down onto wires under the car. If you can go outside and hose the car done and then go for a drive and it bucks, it's gotta be electrical.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:32 AM
Jon McDorman

Originally Posted by frocker93
Almost sounds like an electrical issue. Water under the hood or just dripping down onto wires under the car. If you can go outside and hose the car done and then go for a drive and it bucks, it's gotta be electrical.
Exactly what happens to me. Just hosing it down makes it act up.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:41 AM
jcabrera5150

Default Clutch seems to Slip when AEM cold air intake gets wet

I'm reading these issues, and it's exactly what I've been going through with my AEM cold air intake. It bucks as though the clutch is slipping. I actually paid to replace the clutch the last time it happened, and now it's happening again. I need to take a look at the headlight seal and wiring. It drives perfectly in dry weather. It never slips.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:16 PM
liven Z life

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I had a aem filter on my Z and it would do the same thing in the rain. It stared as soon as I put it on and stopped when it came off. This was years ago one of the like aem dry ones that feels like cardboard/paper. Change the filter I bet it stops!
Old 09-17-2020, 04:55 AM
Lucy61

Originally Posted by Jon McDorman
I've posted twice about this problem, but I still haven't figured out a solution The thread titles I've posted in are "wet weather issues" and another titled "wet weather problems again." I am having problems with my 2005 Z. The only mod is an AEM cold air intake. In wet weather it will "buck" while moving in gear on the throttle or if the clutch is pressed in or sitting at idle it will shut off. These issues lead me to believe the fuel is being shut off or inhibited for some reason. A lack of oxygen would probably also cause these issues, but I highly doubt that's the issue.

I've checked the fuses that are next to the battery and they appear to have never seen moisture. All the plastic in clean and free of water marks. The cover sets on correctly as well. I've cleaned the MAF and the filter. I did find some wires leading to the MAF in which the wires were bare in spots because the person who installed the CAI had the MAF pointed in a direction such that the hood smashed the wires every time the hood closed. I coated the bare spots with some liquid tape and re-positioned the MAF.

I'm certain the filter is not getting wet, but I'm not ruling this possible cause out. The car has all the plastic trays underneath in place and the problem will occur even if the car isn't moving, so there is no way the filter could get wet in those situations right?

I have to stress that I have absolutely NO problems in dry weather. Even if I wash the car at a car wash (I know, car washes are rough on the finish), if I sufficiently soak the car it may buck and have a rough idle until it dries out. I specifically noticed the car stall out once when an automatic car wash wand was washing right next to the passengers side front wheel.

Anyway, I got a video of the event yesterday.

Engine isI sue in the rain 350z - YouTube

Please watch and see if you guys can help me out! I love the vehicle, but I wish I could drive in the rain..

I go to the Nissan dealership Monday. They said, over the phone, that they hadn't heard of this, but they'd take a look and see if they could find something.

Thanks!
I had same issues, and my engine lights came on etc, it took a while but my husband figured it out.
the cowl under the hood against the windshield was cracked, and seal was bad. He noticed when he took it off, remived battery, and saw all computer components sitting in water. Before we purchased a new 300$ cowl, he'd dry it, shop vac water out etc, it worked. So we bought the new cowl . Have not had issue since. Mine was on passenger side. I bet if you pull it off, remove battery yiu will see lot of water. It took a while but he figured it out and even the auto shop could not figure out the problem .
Now mine has a different issue, my passenger headlight flickers when car us off. So crazy, we've had a lot of rain, so apparently 350z don't like rain.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:12 PM
badchoicez350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rain problems

My car is an 05 350z. Cuts out at exactly 2,400 rpm (rain only). I suspect wet ignition wiring near the battery too, but first thing first, I'll be making a kidex shield for my airfilter on my Injen cold air intake. The aftermarket MAF may be getting thrown by the moisture content. I'll update on where the bug was. Keep wrenching!