Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

What's is the latest on the BOSE issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 01:49 PM
kwadell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What's is the latest on the BOSE issues?

Anyone out there have some recent experience on what BOSE and Nissan are doing about the poor sound quality of the stereo? This is for folks AFTER the excessive BASS fix. I have a early 2003 Z where the stereo has no guts. Bass is max'd out and it's still non-existant. I saw the most recent TSB's from Nissan but non of them seem to specifically address those that got the system with poor midrange and poor BASS. (early 2003 and mid 2003 Z's) I've seen posts from the 2004 Z folks who generally appear to be happy with the 2004 BOSE system. Is it really fixed on the 2004 and if so what is different?

I have memos from Nissan and BOSE telling me they know of the problem and will announce a fix but I'm approaching 12 months of ownership and still no reply. What are others experiencing?

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:59 PM
IDBNVS2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose Quality

Is it just me or does anyone else seem to think Bose is overrated? I have heard their systems home and car. Maybe Bose was good back in the late 80s and early 90s and haven't improved since but everyone else has and they are just riding on their name. Just my perception.

Colin
Old 02-08-2004, 04:57 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

After the last fix (came out end of last year, maybe Nov?), I don't think it will get any better. The speakers are just not of good enough quality to be a great stereo.

The last fix cleared up a bit of the problem, but you still have a muddy bass setup, and what they seemed to do ended up making the system a bit bright for my taste. Still an improvement over the previous amp I had. Just not great.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:08 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier

kwadell.. if you don't have the amp replacement that started in Oct-Nov... get the new amp.

Search for a thread started by wedge here on the Bose topic.. it has all the answers.

I just got mine done the other week.. definatly the overpowering bass is gone.. haven't listened to it enough right now to guage if I like the amount left.

If you got the 'first' amp fix, definatly go and get the last one that started in Oct.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:16 PM
kwadell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OK....

OK, thanks for the input. I've seen the earlier posts on the various BOSE topics. I've never seen a TSB or topic that addressed all the complaints on what BOSE thinks is the final fix. I had letters to BOSE and Nissan on the topic and they BOTH acknowledge there was a problem and they were going to fix it. They've had my VIN along with my letters so they should know what vintage of amp/system I have and what if anything needs to happen to it. So I saw the late 2003 TSB come out and I waited to be contacted...and waited....and waited....I read the TSB and it sure doesn't sound like its going to do anything for my Z. So I sent a certified letter to BOSE and Nissan to get a specific date on when they will address my problem. Nissan left a message on my answering machine Thursday. Their hours are 6 am to 2:30 pm and I haven't been able to return Nissans call to hear what they will say since I don't get home from work until after 6 pm.

I certainly don't have the "too much bass" complaint. The production fix for too much bass basically killed the bass and left poor midrange response. From what I can tell the late 2003 TSB is the last change Nissan/Bose plan on making to address complaints and this sounds like it is going to come up short. ie- tweak the amp and hope folks swallow this as the fix. I agree I think they need a speaker change and an amp change to get their. I rented I Pontiac Grand Prix the other day with a stock stereo and it was better than my Z's Bose!! I'm wondering what is different about the 2004 Z's since most seem to be pretty happy with the 2004 system.

If you hear anything more let me know. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:31 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Default Re: OK....

Originally posted by kwadell
I rented I Pontiac Grand Prix the other day with a stock stereo and it was better than my Z's Bose!!
I've been saying that from day one. My 98 GTP has a better stereo than this Bose system in the Z, and it was just the standard in dash CD player with 8 speaker setup. Not even Bose or Monsoon, as they didn't offer up level stuff in 98.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:23 PM
irishfan

Kevin - the latest amp released in November is about all they are going to do. I had mine replaced at Hubler, and it is a definite improvement over both the original and their first attempt at a fix. It is still extermely disappointing as others have noted - especially for a "premium" system. If you want to hear what it sounds like, drop me a line and you can listen to what the new amp sounds like.