Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Loss of Power When Car Shifts to the Right

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 08:46 PM
Zacharyjlh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of Power When Car Shifts to the Right

04' DE 136k miles.

For awhile now I've been trying to figure out an issue I have had for the last few months with my loss of power when making left hand turns and the weight of everything shifts to the right. When i make a right hand turn and the weight shifts , the car WOT's seemingly fine with no noise. There is a spuratic grinding noise only when i WOT the car when the weight has shifted to the right , and has progressively gotten worse over the last few months to the point of going straight and I WOT it, it starts to make the noise. I'm starting to believe it has something to do with the transmission. I swapped out the LSD from a junk yard z into mine and the same noise happened , which crossed out the LSD being the culprit for loss of power. It seems to have started a day or so after my master and slave got hot and the clutch wouldnt disengage and i had to slam gears to get my car home. Another thing that i noticed is when I put the car in first , it will crunch in and it feels like the tranny jumped from the feel of the shifter, but only if i put it in gear going over 5mph. But the tranny or something in the drivetrain feels loose under the car through the feel of the shifter when i go over speed bumps.It is also very hard for me to engage the clutch very smooth in 1st and 2nd. It grabs but the car jumps like there is a rough patch it hits. This seems to only happen in 1st and 2nd gear. 3rd-5th are about perfect , but once i hit 6th , if im over 2.7k rpms , I have to force it and it crunches as well. Was just wondering if anoyone had any clue as to what the culprit here is , I'll be taking it into a shop tomorrow to have them look into the issue. Any thoughts or input is appreciated
Old 11-17-2014, 10:44 AM
qew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id start by getting a good view of the master cylinder and its functionality.Jack it up a bit if need be.It can be viewed from behind the drivers side wheel, looking towards the transmission.Have a friend look at it while you engage and disengage the clutch to make sure its working. try it for a couple minutes. Make sure its moving back and forth.also make sure there is enough fluid in there.

If you eliminate this then it sounds more like a clutch/transmission related issue. How long have you had the clutch? Do you abuse it,burn rubber? possible broken fingers, pressure plate issue.

Let us know the turn out please,people seem to ask questions and don't let us know if they fixed the issue or what the problem really was.Hope this helps.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:58 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

This is a drivetrain issue, and from your description of having to "slam gears" when it got hot, I'd guess your tranny has been damaged. Easy way to check this is to drain the tranny and examine the fluid for metallic debris. When was the last time you changed it?