Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Car Died While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 08:20 PM
CerealIsAmazing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Died While Driving

Howdy gang, I've lurked for a long time but never got around to actually posting anything. Was wondering if anyone had any help for a recent problem I've been having. I've searched similar topics, the only thing I could find was the same thing happening to an Altima.

First, some basics. 2004 5AT Touring Edition, 114,000 miles. Constant maintenance. Borla Headers, Borla Exhaust, Nismo CAI, Brembo Brakes. Have had all modifications for more than 70,000 miles. No problems with the car other than standard miscues.

My problem is that the car has died and did so as I was driving at about 40-45 MPH. I'd been coming home from work and accelerated from a stoplight, from 2nd-3rd (in tiptronic mode, or whatever Nissan calls it) at about 3500-4000 RPM, at which point the car stalls, loses RPM, speed, and power steering/brakes. I pulled the car onto the side of the road as quickly as possible, popped the hood up, checked the engine and exhaust for smoke/leaks/smells and found nothing. Tried to restart the car, it turns over, cranks, and runs roughly for a few seconds, and cuts out again. Oil Pressure indicator hits 90 PSI while trying this, and the battery indicator hits 12. All lights (Battery, Oil, Check Engine, Slip) are on. When I just try to turn the electronics on, the Oil Pressure and battery gauges are flat, but the car lights (interior and exterior) are on. Oil was changed two months ago, have a full tank of 93 Octane.

Can anyone shed any light onto what happened? Did I blow my engine or is it a wiring/battery/electronic thing? Luckily, I was very close to home and had the car towed the mile to my mechanic, but I am quite nervous as I do enjoy the damn thing. The only comparable issue I've found is here:

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/200...ing-today.html

The symptoms are close to what I've experienced so I hope it's nothing too major. I do know that when I went in for inspection, I was told the battery would need to be changed in the next six months, and that was back in October.

Thanks for the read, hope this hasn't been covered ad nauseum, and thanks in advance for any help you guys/girls may have.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:09 PM
RyanL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it running any code? Check engine light on or anything? I had a similar problem off and on a couple years ago right around that same mileage. It was a failing camshaft sensor (easy fix, $40 part and <5 minute job), I don't recall that the power steering would fail when the car would stall though.