Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Got rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 09:38 PM
chaseAD21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sooo i was sitting at a red light and BAM rear ended by a jack *** in an accord who "fell asleep" behind the wheel, keep in mind it was 3 p.m. thankfully this happened right in front of the police station. Guy had insurance didn't run so i have that going for me, im at no fault obviously so im just wondering from your guys experience, think its a totall loss? Cuz ive read on here that those rear quarter panel pieces do not just comr off and you pop another in? Anyone care to elaborate on that? Im rambling sorry i cant sleep knowing my baby is the condition shes in sitting in the collision center parking lot of death and not sitting pretty in my driveway. She is a 2003 5speed with 108k miles lemme know your thoughts. Damage to rear bumper, unknown if anything happened to my exaughst, hatch does not close/seal properly, damage to front bumper not in pics from rolling into another car, and the rear quarter panel/wheel well area. Also i was driving like i always do in the manumatic,tiptronic mode when i was hit and now the gear selector is stuck in drive and yes multiple varied attempts with screwdrivers etc were used to pop that shift lock off but nothing worked so i would assume that means something more serious could be going on under there...idk

couldn't upload pictures file size too large and couldn't figure out how to link them any other way, so this link has them http://s288.photobucket.com/user/cha...n18/slideshow/

Last edited by SR71; 02-17-2015 at 10:44 PM. Reason: merged
Old 02-17-2015, 10:45 PM
DieselandZ

It doesn't look too bad visually. The rear panels are welded so the dont pop off like you said but body shops can do wonders on popping them out. As for the tranny it sounds like in could a number of things. Could be a small as a linkage problem. Get it checked out by a nissan specific shop. I wouldn't use the shop that insurance companies try to get you to use.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:32 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Assuming you have full coverage insurance, I would file a claim with your own insurance and let them collect from the other company. I doubt the car would be totaled but you will never know until you talk to an adjuster.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:45 PM
chaseAD21

Thanks for the input guys, turns out that the adjuster says she sadly is a total loss....Just means i can buy a manual now !!!! trying to find out which models have the synchro rev matching...yes im gonna search just replied to this post first
Old 02-19-2015, 09:47 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

The synchro rev matching is not available on manual 350Z's. They started that with the 2009 370Z.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:00 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 456 Likes on 370 Posts

Lucky. Why can't someone rear-end me?
Old 02-19-2015, 10:18 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by DieselandZ
It doesn't look too bad visually. The rear panels are welded so the dont pop off like you said but body shops can do wonders on popping them out. As for the tranny it sounds like in could a number of things. Could be a small as a linkage problem. Get it checked out by a nissan specific shop. I wouldn't use the shop that insurance companies try to get you to use.
The crumple of at the front of the fenders screams frame damage to me.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:28 AM
chaseAD21

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
The synchro rev matching is not available on manual 350Z's. They started that with the 2009 370Z.
yeaaa i found that out after a little bit of searching. wish i had enough money for a 370, but bliping the throttle before downshifting shouldnt be that hard right.. just need to put in some time behind the wheel...which wont be a ****ing problem at all

im actually looking at an 07 base model unfortunatly coming from a decked out touring but it only has 80k plus the HR motor...so im thinking thats an even trade off? instead of going for a higher trim lesser engine earlier model.

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Lucky. Why can't someone rear-end me?
LMAO everything but having to deal with the accident itself thankgod i wasnt injured, and having to deal with the other guys insurance "investigating" the crash...whats to investigate i was sitting at a red light myriad of winesses and it just happened to be RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE POLICE STATION. But yea its nice especially when insurance is paying out 2000 more than i originally paid for the car..minus the 2 g"s i owe on loan but still its like my car appreciated in value over time which is rare.

Originally Posted by Syner
The crumple of at the front of the fenders screams frame damage to me.
you are correct sir. i was at the graveyard yesterday taking my wheels, sub and amp out saying my goodbyes and i had a chance to look under the car while it was on the jack...CRUMBLED LIKE A COOKIE

Last edited by SR71; 02-20-2015 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Learn to multi-quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:58 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 456 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by chaseAD21
CRUMBLED LIKE A COOKIE
Let's say a vegan sugar free gluten free cookie. We know there's no way those are staying together
Old 02-20-2015, 06:08 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Let's say a vegan sugar free gluten free cookie. We know there's no way those are staying together
#SaveTheSeals