Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Oil changed, mechanic said it was overfilled by a couple inches...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 05:18 PM
Joeker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil changed, mechanic said it was overfilled by a couple inches...

So I just got back from getting my cars first oil change since owning it and the guy said it was overfilled by like 3-4 inches on the dipstick... my guess is two quarts... because when I bought it hot or cold the dipstick kept showing WAY below low so I through two quarts in until I could make it to the shop for a change. Anyway that was like two weeks ago.

Now I'm worried I may have caused damage cause I drive like a madman and yeah... she drives so much better now...

Is there anyway to check myself for damage? I don't smell burnt oil. I'll see if there's any leaks underneath tomorrow. But besides that? Should I take her to a mechanic for diagnostics? What do I ask him to do?

I really like this car and I just want it to be in tip top shape and now I'm kicking myself for "topping off" in the first place...
Old 03-06-2015, 05:59 PM
calibredz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's safer to have a little bit more oil, that not having enough... just saying. 2 qrts, you should be alright... the vq is notorious for buring a little bit of oil over time. just make sure you are cheking your oil on level ground... I check mine in my driver way(about 20* incline) and in my garage after driving and parking it for a while, it was normal. lol good luck.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:48 PM
kwadell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over filling is not good for an engine if you are talking 3-4 inches above the high mark. The crankshaft basically aerates the oil significantly when it has to beat through the oil You will usually see high oil temperatures and still see what you think is oil pressure but it's really "air pressure" from all of the entrained air in the oil. Bearings overheat or you can scuff a piston. You should feel a huge loss of power. If the overfill was done by one of those 15 minute oil change places I would suggest formally documenting all of the facts you just said. Depending upon how long you ran the engine you could have some significant damage.

Good luck.