Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Gears grinding 5th gear high rpm

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 03:55 PM
nvmynismoz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears grinding 5th gear high rpm

Hello, I have a 350z 2008 almost 50k miles, oem clutch, oem master slave cylinder.

First off I have done little research on this and I am thinking it is master slave cylinder or synchro.

So...
my 5th gear grinds at high rpms(Over 4k I think) whether I am down shifting and upshifting. In order for me not to grind, I have to slowly, do a delayed shift to let the rpms drop and it goes into gear smoothly.
At 1st to second gear, I have it grinded twice within the last week. I am not sure exactly why it was grinding, but one was during a uphill(I usually shift low rps from 1st to 2nd). I may do a test to try to shift at high rpms from first to second. I never shift at first to second at high rpms because it always take A LOT of force to put into gear which does not feel right for me, so I always have been just first to second at around 2-3k rpms.
I feel that it is not my synchro because my gears do not grind when not double clutching. Also about 6 months ago, my clutch was stuck to the floor after I put my car in gear and turned off the car. I have not changed it because it only happened twice during very cold weather(idk if cold weather is affected but the clutch feels heavier in cold weather) and it have not happened ever since. So what is your input on this? Thank you

Last edited by nvmynismoz; 11-27-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:01 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

More than likely, it's your CSC that's beginning to fail. Have you checked the level of your clutch master lately?
The following users liked this post:
nvmynismoz (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 01:08 PM
nvmynismoz

Originally Posted by dkmura
More than likely, it's your CSC that's beginning to fail. Have you checked the level of your clutch master lately?
Ok, so I just checked it, and yes it is very low, below minimum. I am going to probably get the CSC elimination kit, Thank you

Last edited by nvmynismoz; 11-28-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:49 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

So... You are absolutely certain the problem isn't the transmission's synchromesh?
Old 11-28-2015, 06:30 PM
nvmynismoz

Originally Posted by Spike100
So... You are absolutely certain the problem isn't the transmission's synchromesh?
I am not exaclty sure. I am going to bring it to my private mechanic to get his ideas on this. Though do i have to fix this? I have a couple friends who haves this problem and they didn't fix it. I don't need to use 5th gear 7k rpms anyways. As long as I am not grinding will the lifespan of the transmission will be less because I didn't fix it? Thank you
Old 11-29-2015, 07:09 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

If your CSC is leaking, you'll eventually lose the clutch completely. In any case, when it comes to replacing the fluid, go with Redline MT85 and it will help with syncro operation.