Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Need Help! Greddy tt Stuck In Open Loop!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 09:37 AM
dbtt350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help! Greddy tt Stuck In Open Loop!

Hey guys, this is my first ever post here but I need some help.
The car Specs:
2006 350z vq35de Rev up
Greddy twin turbo kit
Deatschweks 600cc injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Uprev Gt maf
JWT clutch and flywheel
Lightweight crank pulley
Motordyne tdx exhaust with xyz pipe
Innovate wideband gauge

Here's the story, I hope it makes sense. The car was exactly as it sits now when I bought it as far as what is done to it. During the test drive I never noticed any misfires or anything strange at all. I even went on 2 separate test drives at different times. On the way home I noticed the car seemed to misfire slightly at 2700rpm mainly, and then occasionally randomly at any rpm below 3000. During these misfire/stuttering episodes my afr would lean all the way out until more throttle was applied to break it out of that range. I tried to get the car North Carolina emission tested and I was told the readiness check was not complete. I tried for a while to get the sensors to show ready but was never able to. I brought it to a local tuning shop that specializes in 350zs and g35s to get a diagnostic done. I was told my uprev maf sensor was bad so I went ahead and replaced it. I then brought it back to them for a re-tune. The re-tune took about 4 hours to complete and he had a lot of issues tuning drive ability. The issue was still there exactly the same after the re-tune, although the car did have more power. I read that a faulty fuel damper could cause these symptoms so I went ahead and replaced the passenger side. There was still no change after this. I went ahead and replaced the plugs and intake manifold gaskets too, but of course there was no change. I'm not sure why it took me so long to find this out but I realized the car was stuck in open loop by using the scan tool. Of course now it started to make sense on why drive ability was horrible, and I guess why it was hard to tune, although it still confuses me on how he didn't figure that out. This is where I am really confused. What could be keeping the car from entering closed loop? Where should I be looking for the issue at this point? The issue has gotten worse and worse over time and now the car stumbles really bad and goes lean randomly in the rpm range when you are applying minimal throttle. When it isn't going lean and misfiring, my afr gauge is saying while cruising on the highway my afr is in the high 10 to middle 11 range. My full throttle afr is still staying around a 11.5. I actually installed an AEM wideband gauge just because I had one to see if it would read exactly the same and it did. I later switched back to the innovate which is what is currently in the car. The only issue I know of currently that I just found is an exhaust leak at the drivers side exhaust manifold. Could an exhaust leak cause the car to never enter closed loop though?

Summary: The car is stuck in open loop, and misfiring below 3000 rpm and going lean when applying minimal throttle. The crusining afr is between 10.5 and 11.5. Wide open throttle afr is still at 11.5. Already replaced engine coolant temp sensor, intake manifold gaskets, spark plugs, fuel damper, and new uprev maf sensor with retune. This issue is gradually getting worse and worse. Only know issue as of right now is an exhaust leak on the drivers side exhaust manifold.

Sorry the story is kind of long and confusing, but if you guys could help me figure this out in anyway it would be much appreciated. Ask any questions needed and I will also check anything that needs to be checked for diagnosis. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:39 AM
rx7/350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbtt350z
Hey guys, this is my first ever post here but I need some help.
The car Specs:
2006 350z vq35de Rev up
Greddy twin turbo kit
Deatschweks 600cc injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Uprev Gt maf
JWT clutch and flywheel
Lightweight crank pulley
Motordyne tdx exhaust with xyz pipe
Innovate wideband gauge

Here's the story, I hope it makes sense. The car was exactly as it sits now when I bought it as far as what is done to it. During the test drive I never noticed any misfires or anything strange at all. I even went on 2 separate test drives at different times. On the way home I noticed the car seemed to misfire slightly at 2700rpm mainly, and then occasionally randomly at any rpm below 3000. During these misfire/stuttering episodes my afr would lean all the way out until more throttle was applied to break it out of that range. I tried to get the car North Carolina emission tested and I was told the readiness check was not complete. I tried for a while to get the sensors to show ready but was never able to. I brought it to a local tuning shop that specializes in 350zs and g35s to get a diagnostic done. I was told my uprev maf sensor was bad so I went ahead and replaced it. I then brought it back to them for a re-tune. The re-tune took about 4 hours to complete and he had a lot of issues tuning drive ability. The issue was still there exactly the same after the re-tune, although the car did have more power. I read that a faulty fuel damper could cause these symptoms so I went ahead and replaced the passenger side. There was still no change after this. I went ahead and replaced the plugs and intake manifold gaskets too, but of course there was no change. I'm not sure why it took me so long to find this out but I realized the car was stuck in open loop by using the scan tool. Of course now it started to make sense on why drive ability was horrible, and I guess why it was hard to tune, although it still confuses me on how he didn't figure that out. This is where I am really confused. What could be keeping the car from entering closed loop? Where should I be looking for the issue at this point? The issue has gotten worse and worse over time and now the car stumbles really bad and goes lean randomly in the rpm range when you are applying minimal throttle. When it isn't going lean and misfiring, my afr gauge is saying while cruising on the highway my afr is in the high 10 to middle 11 range. My full throttle afr is still staying around a 11.5. I actually installed an AEM wideband gauge just because I had one to see if it would read exactly the same and it did. I later switched back to the innovate which is what is currently in the car. The only issue I know of currently that I just found is an exhaust leak at the drivers side exhaust manifold. Could an exhaust leak cause the car to never enter closed loop though?

Summary: The car is stuck in open loop, and misfiring below 3000 rpm and going lean when applying minimal throttle. The crusining afr is between 10.5 and 11.5. Wide open throttle afr is still at 11.5. Already replaced engine coolant temp sensor, intake manifold gaskets, spark plugs, fuel damper, and new uprev maf sensor with retune. This issue is gradually getting worse and worse. Only know issue as of right now is an exhaust leak on the drivers side exhaust manifold.

Sorry the story is kind of long and confusing, but if you guys could help me figure this out in anyway it would be much appreciated. Ask any questions needed and I will also check anything that needs to be checked for diagnosis. Thanks.
Did you ever figure this out? A buddy had a vortech z with the exact same problem
Old 11-29-2016, 10:35 AM
GathrdOrphan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is the most beautiful thread I've ever seen..subbed