Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Extremely low oil pressure 2003 Enthusiast 151k

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 04:40 AM
wisniaPl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you guys use updated gaskets from concepz/ z1motorsport or oem?
Will metal gaskets from infinity fit?
So the list he posed has all the gaskets required to do the job right?
Old 09-27-2016, 05:32 AM
NR350z

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I also am experiencing this problem as well. Thought I would try to get some answers from here after reading multiple posts thru searching. Sometimes my gauge would read extremely high at times, and not just because of cold start up, I would tap the gauge and it would go back to reading normally. I was due for my first oil change with the car, I've only owned it for a few weeks now, and I was unsure what the previous owner used, so I went used Royal Purple 10w30 paired with the Royal Purple gasket, and for a bit my oil pressure would be fine, same high reading occasionally, and a tap on the gauge fixed that.

Now after about ~400mi since oil change Im getting some extremely low pressure readings, no knocks, no lights, but
Old 09-27-2016, 07:20 AM
NR350z

Also, would the bad galley gasket throw codes?
Old 09-27-2016, 07:25 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by NR350z
I also am experiencing this problem as well. Thought I would try to get some answers from here after reading multiple posts thru searching. Sometimes my gauge would read extremely high at times, and not just because of cold start up, I would tap the gauge and it would go back to reading normally. I was due for my first oil change with the car, I've only owned it for a few weeks now, and I was unsure what the previous owner used, so I went used Royal Purple 10w30 paired with the Royal Purple gasket, and for a bit my oil pressure would be fine, same high reading occasionally, and a tap on the gauge fixed that.

Now after about ~400mi since oil change Im getting some extremely low pressure readings, no knocks, no lights, but
Almost sounds like your sensor is going.

A bad gasket and consequently low oil pressure can throw timing codes for the infinity guys it's P0011/P0021. Thats only for the VQ35HR (07-08 350Z)http://g35driver.com/forums/g35-seda...ous-about.html

On a side note Royal Purple gasket do you mean filter? The Z doesn't normally like royal purple and you should use 5W-30 or if you want a slightly thicker oil use mobil 1 0W-40. Using a 10W-30 is not recommended, you don't want thicker oil on start up and it's still a 30 weight at temp.

Last edited by rancor; 09-27-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:39 AM
NR350z

Originally Posted by rancor
Almost sounds like your sensor is going.

A bad gasket and consequently low oil pressure can throw timing codes for the infinity guys it's P0011/P0021. Thats only for the VQ35HR (07-08 350Z)http://g35driver.com/forums/g35-seda...ous-about.html

On a side note Royal Purple gasket do you mean filter? The Z doesn't normally like royal purple and you should use 5W-30 or if you want a slightly thicker oil use mobil 1 0W-40. Using a 10W-30 is not recommended, you don't want thicker oil on start up and it's still a 30 weight at temp.
Okay, Ill order the sensor today to just rule it out, fingers crossed.

Lol, yes, freudian slip as Im sweating it out and can't stop thinking and hoping its not the "galley gasket" lol

Could switching to Royal Purple have caused these gaskets to go ? So, u suggest switching from Royal Purple entirely or going to the 5w30? did you mean Mobil 1 10w40? Or was the 0w40 not a typo? Just never used a 0 weight before...

Also, what did you mean, still a 30weight at temp and that the Z "doesn't like" Royal Purple? My cousin has a 03 G35, and never had a issue with the Royal Purple so I just went with it off of his recommendation.

Last edited by NR350z; 09-27-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:02 AM
rancor

Okay, Ill order the sensor today to just rule it out, fingers crossed.

Lol, yes, freudian slip as Im sweating it out and can't stop thinking and hoping its not the "galley gasket" lol

Could switching to Royal Purple have caused these gaskets to go ? So, u suggest switching from Royal Purple entirely or going to the 5w30? did you mean Mobil 1 10w40? Or was the 0w40 not a typo? Just never used a 0 weight before...

Also, what did you mean, still a 30weight at temp and that the Z "doesn't like" Royal Purple? My cousin has a 03 G35, and never had a issue with the Royal Purple so I just went with it off of his recommendation.
RP won't cause the gaskets to go it just usually doesn't show good results in a UOA for this engine. It's not going to hurt the car so don't worry about it. If you read through the thread there are some recommended oils in there but in reality any name brand synthetic should be more than enough. https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...-and-info.html

Don't be afraid of 0 weights. 0W means the oil acts like a 0 weight at cold temps when you start the engine. This means you should have better cold flow which is a good thing. A 0W-XX is still way thicker cold then when its at operating temp.

Oils don't really get thicker when they get hotter. So a 0W-40 acts like a SAE 0 weight cold and a SAE 40 when hot. Still much thinner at operating temp than when cold.

Good video that explanes oil weights

Last edited by rancor; 09-27-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:14 AM
NR350z

RP won't cause the gaskets to go it just usually doesn't show good results in a UOA for this engine. It's not going to hurt the car so don't worry about it. If you read through the thread there are some recommended oils in there but in reality any name brand synthetic should be more than enough.
Okay so you're saying, for now, what I have in there is not something I should worry about?

If it is the gaskets, where can I find a good write-up? I've read numerous times that this seems to be a significant job, not necessarily difficult or tricky, but time consuming (at least a full day ~8-9hrs).

Also, any way to tell for sure if they've gone before pulling the car apart for 9 hours?

Im also reading different things, that people have to take of the front end, but looks like places like concept-Z have it for the rear timing cover https://conceptzperformance.com/czp-...kt_p_26069.php?

And then this one, looks the same, but doesn't designate front or rear? http://www.nisformance.com/EPS-Tunin...llerykitde.htm

Last edited by NR350z; 09-27-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:30 AM
rancor

Okay so you're saying, for now, what I have in there is not something I should worry about?

If it is the gaskets, where can I find a good write-up? I've read numerous times that this seems to be a significant job, not necessarily difficult or tricky, but time consuming (at least a full day ~8-9hrs).

Also, any way to tell for sure if they've gone before pulling the car apart for 9 hours?
You're totally fine with the oil. The old pennzoil platinum 5W-30 and mobil 1 0W-40 have shown good UOAs but the oils seem to change every few years so just use a name brand synthetic, RP is one, and you should be fine. If you want to go down the very subjective rabbit hole of oils you can start doing UOAs and decide what oil works best for you.

I don't know of any good write ups that infinity thread is the best one I have found.

The way to check before taking the engine apart is to put a proper oil pressure gauge on the engin, a mechanic can do this or harbor freight has an inexpensive gauge that would work, and check pressures. The FSM has operating temp oil pressure numbers at idle (650 rpm) and at 2000 rpm. If you are at or above those numbers you should be fine if you are below either of them the oil gallery gaskets are the likely culprit. The oem gauge is nowhere near accurate enough to use for this.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:27 AM
NR350z

You're totally fine with the oil. The old pennzoil platinum 5W-30 and mobil 1 0W-40 have shown good UOAs but the oils seem to change every few years so just use a name brand synthetic, RP is one, and you should be fine. If you want to go down the very subjective rabbit hole of oils you can start doing UOAs and decide what oil works best for you.

I don't know of any good write ups that infinity thread is the best one I have found.

The way to check before taking the engine apart is to put a proper oil pressure gauge on the engin, a mechanic can do this or harbor freight has an inexpensive gauge that would work, and check pressures. The FSM has operating temp oil pressure numbers at idle (650 rpm) and at 2000 rpm. If you are at or above those numbers you should be fine if you are below either of them the oil gallery gaskets are the likely culprit. The oem gauge is nowhere near accurate enough to use for this.
Ok, thanks for your help, praying it is just the sensor as I'm not really looking forward to this job after the posts that i've read...
Old 09-27-2016, 10:44 AM
Xrabbix

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, thanks for your help, praying it is just the sensor as I'm not really looking forward to this job after the posts that i've read...
That sounds like the sensor or gauge for sure
Old 09-27-2016, 10:46 AM
NR350z

Originally Posted by Xrabbix
That sounds like the sensor or gauge for sure
Just ordered the sensor, will throw it in and hopefully that solve the problem! Glad you guys are telling me what I want to hear!
Old 10-04-2016, 01:24 PM
NR350z

Well, some bad news, changed the sensor and its reading the same. So my plan for tomorrow is to buy a mechanical oil pressure gauge and see what kind of readings I get from that, and see if it's the stock interior gauge going bad.

Any other suggestions or things to check before going about replacing the oil galley/gallery gasket?
Old 10-15-2016, 09:09 AM
NR350z

A little follow-up, ordered a new set of gauges off eBay, and install and come to find out the ones I purchased were showing a LOWER oil pressure reading than my current gauge, which tells me one thing, the OE oil pressure gauges are not very accurate at all... I am returning it and seller is replacing with another set, however, also purchasing a manual oil pressure tester, testing it from oil pressure bung, and will take it from there.

Just trying to rule everything possible out before tackling the oil galley gasket, but seems as though its just inaccurate OE gauges ....
Old 10-18-2016, 07:34 AM
rancor

A little follow-up, ordered a new set of gauges off eBay, and install and come to find out the ones I purchased were showing a LOWER oil pressure reading than my current gauge, which tells me one thing, the OE oil pressure gauges are not very accurate at all... I am returning it and seller is replacing with another set, however, also purchasing a manual oil pressure tester, testing it from oil pressure bung, and will take it from there.

Just trying to rule everything possible out before tackling the oil galley gasket, but seems as though its just inaccurate OE gauges ....
As a note the oil pressure sensor uses BSPT not NPT. NPT adapter will almost fit but will permanently screw up the threads. Make sure you use the correct adaptor for the manual pressure gauge.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:06 AM
NR350z

As a note the oil pressure sensor uses BSPT not NPT. NPT adapter will almost fit but will permanently screw up the threads. Make sure you use the correct adaptor for the manual pressure gauge.
Good looking out !
Old 05-27-2017, 08:56 PM
NR350z

7 months later and Im experiencing another issue, recently, the past two days, my oil light will sometimes pop on at idle (3x in last 2 days). Previous trial and error (swapping waterfall gauges, and new oil pressure sensor) has lead me to believe that it was just an inaccurate gauge, but now I'm beginning to think otherwise.

My operating oil PSI's are close, besides idle, my gauge "wanders" so much its hard to get a consistent reading, sometimes the gauge reads perfect at "hot" temps (after 15-20min of driving) and sometimes its about ~5-8psi off the stock spec of >14 at idle and >45 at 2000RPM.

Two things, however, I am getting to the point of an oil change, ~7,000mi since last with RP 10w-30, which I've been told to switch to a 0W-40, and I also am about a little less than a quart low, could these issues be lending to my oil light popping on from time to time or is it the dreaded "oil galley" gasket?
Old 05-28-2017, 02:31 PM
rancor

7 months later and Im experiencing another issue, recently, the past two days, my oil light will sometimes pop on at idle (3x in last 2 days). Previous trial and error (swapping waterfall gauges, and new oil pressure sensor) has lead me to believe that it was just an inaccurate gauge, but now I'm beginning to think otherwise.

My operating oil PSI's are close, besides idle, my gauge "wanders" so much its hard to get a consistent reading, sometimes the gauge reads perfect at "hot" temps (after 15-20min of driving) and sometimes its about ~5-8psi off the stock spec of >14 at idle and >45 at 2000RPM.

Two things, however, I am getting to the point of an oil change, ~7,000mi since last with RP 10w-30, which I've been told to switch to a 0W-40, and I also am about a little less than a quart low, could these issues be lending to my oil light popping on from time to time or is it the dreaded "oil galley" gasket?
It possible but you really need to verify with a second gauge. Also just add some oil. If the light is coming on from actually low oil pressure it's something extremely low like 3-4 psi. You should be fine to do the measurement with M1 0W-40.

https://www.harborfreight.com/engine...kit-62621.html
Old 05-28-2017, 03:43 PM
NR350z

It possible but you really need to verify with a second gauge. Also just add some oil. If the light is coming on from actually low oil pressure it's something extremely low like 3-4 psi. You should be fine to do the measurement with M1 0W-40.

https://www.harborfreight.com/engine...kit-62621.html
What does the light consult for its alarm? Does it consult the readout from the gauge or direct from the oil pressure sensor?

I've been told not to switch from a 10w-30 to a 0w-40... would switching to the 0w-40 cause any issues ?
Old 05-28-2017, 09:07 PM
rancor

What does the light consult for its alarm? Does it consult the readout from the gauge or direct from the oil pressure sensor?

I've been told not to switch from a 10w-30 to a 0w-40... would switching to the 0w-40 cause any issues ?
The sensor itself. No M1 0W-40 is barely a 40 weight it's fine. It's also the same if not thinner at cold and that's only a good thing. If you are burning a lot of oil at start up 10W30 may be better but then your engine is worn out.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:43 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Does the gauge fluctuate when your oil level is full?

Quick Reply: Extremely low oil pressure 2003 Enthusiast 151k